Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

I don't really know what to think about Win 10 (or should one style it Win X ?), but I'm sure there's room for an early twin thread in parallel to Win 8 - Deeper Impressions, more focused on Win X err... 10, but less technincal than any at the more specialized forums. So welcome to the new thread! :yes:

Here's a different perspective on that point:

Untwist your panties -- Windows 10's 'keylogger' is nothing to worry about 

...  We're getting into semantics here, but Windows 10 does not include a keylogger -- at least not in the traditional sense of the word. Microsoft is very open about the fact that data will be collected. It’s very much the point of the preview, after all...

When I get to install and try out Win10, I'll be taking advantage of this tracking to indicate to them how much I like the Start Menu. :)  I'll also go into the personalization UI and perform multiple searches for "Aero Glass."  ;)

After all, supposedly the whole idea of this Technical Preview is to provide MSFT with feedback as to what users want, don't want, will use or won't use. With any luck, they will actually pay attention this time, unlike what happened with Win8.

But needless to say, I won't be doing any banking or even logging into any forum or account while in Win10...

--JorgeA

But needless to say, I won't be doing any banking or even logging into any forum or account while in Win10...

Until the day you forget for a moment and do... :ph34r:

Good point! My safeguard for this, though, is that I'm installing Win10 on a secondary laptop that sits somewhere other than at my desk and is used only for very specific purposes.

BTW, congratulations on your promotion to Supervisor. :thumbup  (It is a promotion and not a demotion, right? :angel )

--JorgeA

Its likely similar (if not the same :ph34r: ) as the data collection that Firefox does if you use the beta or nightly versions of the browser. I don't really see it as being a big deal. Maybe because Microsoft is a corporation and not just an organisaton may make people uneasy. Or maybe the fact that MS seems to have a bad track record of "making things better" and instead "making things look better," at least to some.

Or maybe the fact that MS seems to have a bad track record of "making things better" and instead  "making things look better," at least to some.

Are you sure?.x.(.x.) Yes  (.x.) No

... at least since 7 SP1, it's very doubtful whether MS has made anything better at all, but it sure made Windows look a whole lot worse! :puke:

No, Aero Glass makes it easier to focus on the content. On none Aero system I always look at the highlighted (by the color) titlebar. That's why I used a gray theme version of Luna in XP which does the same. But after having seen the beauty of Aero Glass I can't go back.

No, Aero Glass makes it easier to focus on the content. On none Aero system I always look at the highlighted (by the color) titlebar. That's why I used a gray theme version of Luna in XP which does the same. But after having seen the beauty of Aero Glass I can't go back.

Ah see this is an example of personal preference. I have another point of view as I have PCs I use daily that both have Aero enabled and disabled. There is no real difference to me other than one just looks better than the other. Now, it is true that the one I have it disabled on is due to the video card not fully supporting it, and I would likely have it enabled if I were to install a newer video card.

After a few Adventures in Windows InstallationTM , I finally got the Technical Preview up and running. Here are my initial notes:

• The windows shown during Setup are in Vista/Win7 Home Basic style... including the shiny 3D buttons to close the window. :)
  • I can confirm that a license key was not requested during installation to activate the TP.
  • Moreover, despite what many websites are suggesting, you don't need to join the Windows Insider program in order to use the TP. I've already been asked a number of times for feedback by Microsoft as I explored the OS, so signing up is not a requirement for providing feedback either. (However, I do intend to sign up for that program so that I have the choice to participate in the forums that are supposed to spring up to discuss the TP.)
  • Pleased to see that Windows Defender is actually listed in the new Start Menu, as its predecessor namesake did in Vista. It shows up under the Start Menu folder named, "Windows System."
  • The Start Menu automatically lists the "All Apps" (formerly "All Programs") if you let the mouse pointer hover over that line. Good.
  • And it's nice to see that OneNote is included, although it's the Metro app version.
  • One annoyance is that when you do a search from the Start Menu, and click to see all results, Internet Explorer opens in the Metro IE app (although if you click on a result, confusingly you then end up in desktop IE).
  • The Start Menu Search offers to "search everywhere," including the Web. It's not as bas as I'd feared -- if you type (say) "Control Panel," the top result, for the actual feature, is visually set off from the Web results. But I'm still going to see if there is a way to disable "search everywhere" as I don't trust that my search terms are staying strictly on my PC and not also being sent to a Microsoft server. If I want to search for something on the Web, I can open a browser.
  • The desktop calculator is still there, under Windows Accessories. Much more discreet (in both size and appearance) than the Metro-style calculator.
  • I changed the default background to a darkish solid blue. With the Taskbar now having changed to a light blue color, and the lack of (Aero Glass) window transparency, Windows 10 looks remarkably like Windows 98... except that even Win98 had 3D UI elements.

More as I run across more stuff...

--JorgeA

EDIT: typos!

Edited by JorgeA

Thanks for sharing your findings. :thumbup

Some of them do seem auspicious... :unsure:

Now, if both Metro and Search can be fully turned off and a decent 3rd-party utility like Effective File Search can be installed instead (nothing is needed instead of Metro, of course!), then MS is starting to get back to the right path... but I doubt we're anywhere near that, right now.

Signing up to insider program is not required to use Tech preview but I would encourage to join it as without joining the insider program you can't use the feedback app. The feedback app is very useful: you can give your own feedback in that app or agree with others' feedbacks and if necessary provide more details to specific feedback. You miss a lot of chances to give feedback if you are not an insider.

Otherwise you will be asked to give feedback by Microsoft, but you can't offer your own feedback or agree with others' feedbacks: basically you can only give feedback when Microsoft ask you to, if you are not an insider.