Windows 2000 Professional on ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

AnX

Earlier I was having some snafus with Windows 2000 on this board, but now I've managed to get it sorted out (apart from the graphics, of course).

What I did was simply slipstream the AMD AHCI driver from BWC into my Win2k USP5.1 install and began from there. Setup was simple and nothing went wrong. Then i installed the realtek audio, LAN and TP-Link Wireless driver. Then I installed UUR, the AMD SMBus, ASMedia SATAIII, ASMedia USB3, and the HPET driver "fix" that I posted in another thread.

The GPU (AMD Radeon R7 260x) has no drivers that could function on Windows 2000. I will be replacing it with an nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (update, replaced with 960)

All in all, this is a great motherboard to run Win2k on. My AMD 8 core CPU does run a few degrees warmer (3-5c), but that's been the case with most Win2k installs on multi-cores.

kFf7wG7.jpg

Edited by AnX

But I do keep on having this strange problem. Every once in a while, the OS throws an "inaccessible_boot_device" when booting up. It seems to happen when I'm on Windows 10 and run it for a while. Otherwise, it never used to throw a BSOD like that.

However, hte problem goes away after a while, and if I only use Windows 2000. That's strange.

Edited by AnX

• 3 weeks later...

Update: My 260x botched out on me, and I've purchased the new GTX 960. I will be continuing my endeavor with Windows 2000, and this time we will hopefully have graphics. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello AnX,

I also have this motherboard now and want to slipstream the AMD AHCI Driver for VEN_1002&DEV_4391&SUBSYS_84DD1043. Which version did you pick (there are 3.1.1540.25 and 3.1.1540.127, also 3.1.1548.155 and 3.2.1540.53)? I inspected all of the inf´s, but could not find my subsys id.

Greetings Joe

21 hours ago, JosefReisinger said:

Thx.

Did you encounter "vga.sys is corrupted" in txtmode Setup? I have this problem with blackwingcats exkernel DVD, but not always; sometimes it works, sometimes not. I have Nvidia Geforce 960 GTX like you.

which version did you use videoprt.sys ?

I recommend to use 5.0.2195.6838.

@blackwingcat,

Yes, I use 5.0.2195.6838 videoprt.sys (put in DRIVERCAB and win\system32); vga.sys is 5.0.2134.1 from source. I use latest excore.

NOTE: I had this problem before with ASUS R752LD Notebook and different versions of exkernel DVD; I also had the problem with Macbook pro (but not as frequent as ASUS). Usually the problem could be overcome with booting into XP on partition2, and reboot into exkernel DVD. Then, the installation did not show "vga.sys is corrupted" any longer (STRANGE, isn´t it?). I also tried to start the installation again after vga error message without booting into XP, then "vga.sys is corrupted" will be shown again and again (I tried 10 times). Once I boot into XP, reboot into installation -> message "vga.sys is corrupted" is gone.

But now, with M5A99FXPro R2.0, the problem cannot be solved that simple with booting into XP (I also installed on second partition on this machine). I only could go through the txtmode setup once of 20 or more attempts, but unfortunally BSOD with usbport.sys (I did not integrate ASMEDIA USB3 driver and w2k wanted to install asmedia with standard usb2). The installation seems to run many times faster if "vga.sys is corrupted" is NOT shown.

I wonder if the reason of this could be using SSD instead of HDD (I use OWC Merury Extreme 6G SSD). Partition table is msdos made with pcmagic linux dvd providing proper alignment.

Any ideas?

Greetings, Joe

Edited by JosefReisinger
BSOD with usbport.sys happened in GUI setup

6 minutes ago, JosefReisinger said:

@blackwingcat,

Yes, I use 5.0.2195.6838 videoprt.sys (put in DRIVERCAB and win\system32); vga.sys is 5.0.2134.1 from source. I use latest excore.

NOTE: I had this problem before with ASUS R752LD Notebook and different versions of exkernel DVD; I also had the problem with Macbook pro (but not as frequent as ASUS). Usually the problem could be overcome with booting into XP on partition2, and reboot into exkernel DVD. Then, the installation did not show "vga.sys is corrupted" any longer (STRANGE, isn´t it?). I also tried to start the installation again after vga error message without booting into XP, then "vga.sys is corrupted" will be shown again and again (I tried 10 times). Once I boot into XP, reboot into installation -> message "vga.sys is corrupted" is gone.

But now, with M5A99FXPro R2.0, the problem cannot be solved that simple with booting into XP (I also installed on second partition on this machine). I only could go through the txtmode setup once of 20 or more attempts, but unfortunally BSOD with usbport.sys (I did not integrate ASMEDIA USB3 driver and w2k wanted to install asmedia with standard usb2). The installation seems to run many times faster if "vga.sys is corrupted" is NOT shown.

I wonder if the reason of this could be using SSD instead of HDD (I use OWC Merury Extreme 6G SSD). Partition table is msdos made with pcmagic linux dvd providing proper alignment.

Any ideas?

Greetings, Joe

How about 5.0.2195.6835 videoprt.sys ?

If your motherboard have AGP APERTURE SIZE setting. change lesser than 64M.

4 hours ago, JosefReisinger said:

I tried 5.0.2195.6835 videoprt.sys => "vga.sys is corrupted".

I do not have AGP Aperture size setting.

Greetings Joe

Sorry, I missed version.

Plz try 5.0.2195.6833.

It is Jpn hfslip stable version.

Edited by blackwingcat

Yes, it worked out. With v6833, no vga.sys error message. Installation was OK. THX!

Next problem:

I wonder why ASMEDIA USB3 has to be deactivated in bios for avoiding BSOD in gui mode setup although the driver was slipstreamed. After setup, it can be installed without problems.

AMD Ahcix86 3.3 seems to be a little buggy with PAE and 32GB RAM. Without PAE, I can run AS SSD Benchmark without problems and it shows reading around 500MB/s. With PAE, I get SYSTEM.IO.IOException from Framework2, the test file cannot be accessed, because it is "used by another process". Are there suitable drivers for sb9xx ready for w2k?

Greetings Joe

It is known issue, but I do not have environment where its problem  occurres.

I want to fix its , so wolud you try test next version videoprt.sys ?

If sb9xx driver you want to try version exists, I migrate to Win2000, when you show download link. :P

26 minutes ago, JosefReisinger said:

Yes, it worked out. With v6833, no vga.sys error message. Installation was OK. THX!

Next problem:

I wonder why ASMEDIA USB3 has to be deactivated in bios for avoiding BSOD in gui mode setup although the driver was slipstreamed. After setup, it can be installed without problems.

AMD Ahcix86 3.3 seems to be a little buggy with PAE and 32GB RAM. Without PAE, I can run AS SSD Benchmark without problems and it shows reading around 500MB/s. With PAE, I get SYSTEM.IO.IOException from Framework2, the test file cannot be accessed, because it is "used by another process". Are there suitable drivers for sb9xx ready for w2k?

Greetings Joe

Of course I will test next videoprt.sys.

Download link for ahci (I looked into the files - not ahcix86, new name "amd_sata.sys". I don´t know if it is worth trying, but you could have a look on it:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset=?os=Windows%XP%20-%2064

More interesting if we could use a win7 driver, special version for sb9xx exists:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset=?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

Question: is it theoretically possible that we use 64bit drivers with PAE in w2k?

Greetings Joe

Edited by JosefReisinger