ERD Commander 2003

Chris Lee

Thank you for telling me, but can you please state whatever you did? Like all the steps you went through, I do not believe WINISO was the problem, because the CDimage.exe was used to "neutrify" the files...

I still get the error post-82-1081024765.jpg

Is your network adapter supported? If not try to add the files needed.

I dont really use any other than the normal network adaptors..what do I do? Do I have to add any files or change any pathes? I'm using VMWare, could this be the problem?

I have not used it in VMware, due to the slow install of Os's, so my suggestion is to burn it to CD and give it a go.

Ok Chriss Lee, Here's what i can remember of what i did :)

First of, when i realised the my erd2003 wasn't working of my xpcd, i tried to isolate the problem by trying to make an iso of erd2003 and see if that would work or not.

So i opened erd2003.iso (the original one created by Winternal's admin pack4.1) and tried to extract it with WinIso in new folder.

I then tried to made an iso from this new folder by using cdimage while looking at the entire creation process. I use the -j1 switch and put everything else as we usualy do (except the -0 option to make sure everything would be the same as the original iso... just in case !)

I used the original boot file that comes with the iso wich is called bootsect.bin .

That way, i would have an identical image of Erd2003... That's what i tought though!

.....Time passed.... sun goes up, sun goes down.... (I won't tell you how many things i've tried to resolve this problem, cause i'm sure i will run out of space!)

Finally, after eliminting all the possible causes for that bug, i was at a point where i was thinking that it could be the cdimage.exe that wasn't set correctly... But, i came across a thread on this forum (i think) that was talking about WinIso and problems occuring with it with Large files (3 gb... or more) I didn't go through all the thread but it rang a bell. What if ?

So, i contacted Gosh and told him about my problem and here's what he told me:

"I've used different versions of erd commander 2003 in the past and never had any problems. I have seen that winbom error, but ive never seen the registry error. The winbom error is probably harmless.

NTLDR loads the registry so it can load the current control set and start type 0 and 1 services (boot and system). An example of a boot service is fastfat.sys and ntfs.sys. If these drivers weren't loaded early in the boot process, you couldn't access the hard drive, and obviously couldn't load the registry. Therefore, im thinking setupldr.bin (which is ntldr just renamed) is hexed wrong or something is wrong with it. Only use cdimage. Don't use anything like winiso.

Also don't run erd commander from the hard drive, since the registry might be written to. If you have to, make sure everything is read only."

Finally, i extracted the files with Winrar and everything was ok!

I hope it helped you a bit,

Bye,

Magellan456

Hi Chris,

Make sure the path of your loader and the name is the right one. If you're trying to test Erd2003 by itself(without the xp integrated) the correct file is not loader.bin but bootsect.bin.

If your using CDShell for your boot menu, the boot sector file is in the Boot directory.

Otherwise, if eveything above doesn't work, you should look inside your loader.bin with an hex editor to see if it points to the correct dir or file.

Good Luck,

Magellan456

The thing is, everything else loads up fine. I could make an ISO with

cdimage -lXPCD -t08/23/2001,13:00:00 -h -n -m -o -bc:\Install\VOL1.DAT c:\Install c:\XP.ISO

I don't know how to do others because I tried.

The winbom error is annoying, I've used bootsect.bin as the boot sector, linked from diskemu.cmd, and I have bootsect.bin edited as ERD1 instead of i386... I can boot up to ERD successfully if I ignore the error, but can't help feeling there's an error

The only way I have been able to reproduce your error is to try to run the ERD2003 logon.exe from the HD's temporary folder while building the ISO, so I don't know what this means, my only guess is that it is trying to run it as if it were on the HD, so I would double check that the loading into RAM is still good. Kinda confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Maggelan456....

I get the same error when booting my CD as well... only it says that I should insert the Windows XP professional SP1 disk into drive A:

If u have found what error that generates this... plz post it! :)

I been up all night trying to... If I find anything out from the error message, I will do the same....

However, i am not trying to add ERD to my custom WinPE CD....

Cu later..

Maggelan456....

I get the same error when booting my CD as well... only it says that I should insert the Windows XP professional SP1 disk into drive A:

If u have found what error that generates this... plz post it! :)

I been up all night trying to... If I find anything out from the error message, I will do the same....

However, i am not trying to add ERD to my custom WinPE CD....

Cu later..

You really should make a new post instead of getting my hopes up :rolleyes:

You need to place WIN51IP, WIN51 into your cd root.

Are you still stuck on the Winbom.ini error? If so this is due to the drivers for your network card not being supported. I also tried to use VMware and the network error you mentioned was there for me also, But when I burned it to a CD it was fine. The only ones it has issues with are the Intel network adapters and the VMware network adapters, it has never bothered me enough to see how to fix it in VMware because I know it works outside. I have also found that when building an ISO from say Longhorn's older builds with the same file structure as XP, I also sometimes get this error. My advice to you is to be safe and extract your files with WinRAR, no problems for me ever, get Bart's tool for extrating boot files(from the pre-built ISO), and then reburn it with CDimage and the extracted boot image file.