Windows (10) is not activated

mike13

I have been a member of the INSIDER GROUP, for several months, and have been downloading and installing all the pre-releases of Windows 10 including the last one #10240. All was fine. The past two days I have been checking my UPDATES to get the FINAL version of Windows 10. Nothing but Windows Defender updates, so I followed a link from Gabe Abul to get the download. It downloaded and installed, but tells me that it is not activated. The computer originally had Windows 7 Home Prem, and I had to replace the motherboard about 10 months ago, but I do not think that is the problem since I was a member of the insider group etc. and was getting all the other pre-releases. Any suggestions ? Thanks, Mike

Update...I read on this site how to ACTIVATE if you are having problems, by CMD.EXE and then SLMGR.VBS/ATO however when I do that I get error 0X004C003, the activation server determined that the specified product key is blocked. Now what ??

dencorso...thanks for the reply. Yes, I did read that post, but since I was getting an error message that my number was being blocked, I thought there was another problem. So, I will just wait.

Edited by mike13

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 10240 is the current build.  I haven't heard that there's any more "final" than that.

Are you logged in with your Microsoft account?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I was on the phone with Microsoft over an hour last evening. They originally told me that the numbers in my computer were NOT genuine, but verified the 25 digit number on the back of the Dell laptop as a legit Windows 7 OEM number. Then she told me that her boss said I need to go back to Dell, that they would help since it was an OEM install on Windows. I then asked her "Do you mean that eveyrone who bought a computer with Windows 7 on it, has to go back to the manufacturer ??  She replied "That is what the boss said" So I hung up. I will do a complete re-install back to its factory condition and then wait to see what happens. She also had no answer to "why was I accepted in the insider group in the first place" Not a happy camper.

I was on the phone with Microsoft over an hour last evening. They originally told me that the numbers in my computer were NOT genuine, but verified the 25 digit number on the back of the Dell laptop as a legit Windows 7 OEM number. Then she told me that her boss said I need to go back to Dell, that they would help since it was an OEM install on Windows. I then asked her "Do you mean that eveyrone who bought a computer with Windows 7 on it, has to go back to the manufacturer ??  She replied "That is what the boss said" So I hung up. I will do a complete re-install back to its factory condition and then wait to see what happens. She also had no answer to "why was I accepted in the insider group in the first place" Not a happy camper.

It seems that it is a Microsoft representative did not know nothing about things. This story is a complete mess. So those things do not go any way. 
I would recommend you to read some another forums, but I'm not sure if this is allowed here.

If you are still non-genuine, I would be interested to see the licensing output. I haven't seen one yet regarding Windows 10. Run this in an elevated CMD and then paste the contents of report.txt here.

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab

Success !!!! I reimaged the computer back to Windows 7, using the 25 digit key on the bottom of the computer. Windows 7 showed ACTIVATED. I then got over 200 updates, which I guess was a waste of time. Anyway, I then followed the link from Gabe Aul to get Windows. All went well. My copy of Windows 10 now shows ACTIVATD. I do not know if I will now do the clean install or not. Because the computer was basically cleaned when I installed Windows 7. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. Mike