[Guide] Disable Data Collection in Windows 10

ptd163

I no longer need a list to remove communications.  I'm now running 100% "deny by default".  I've just ported the idea to my Win 8.1 system as well.

And now I can affirm that Win 10 tries like mad to send data all over the world.  I'm a bit surprised that the tens of millions of Win 10 users haven't overloaded the Internet already.  Win 8.1 is far less aggressive about it.

-Noel

Well, out of curiosity, I wonder what (the heck) is inside the MajorGeeks one, I mean the O&O thingy is 107 Kb (and of course the actual settings if applied through a script are a few kb at most, while the "Destroy Windows 10 Spying 1.4.3" is a 10.8 Mb :w00t: download. :unsure:

jaclaz

[...] I'm now running 100% "deny by default". [...]  And now I can affirm that Win 10 tries like mad to send data all over the world. [...]

[...] That would be telling. We want information, information, information...

With all due respect, how do you know for sure you can trust MS's own Firewall to default-deny MS's own info-gathering ???

Well, out of curiosity, I wonder what (the heck) is inside the MajorGeeks one, I mean the O&O thingy is 107 Kb (and of course the actual settings if applied through a script are a few kb at most, while the "Destroy Windows 10 Spying 1.4.3" is a 10.8 Mb :w00t: download. :unsure:

jaclaz

The one from Major Geeks 1.43 does what they are talking about in the MDL post but without the need of install_wim_tweak.exe

It has Extreme option of wiping all Metro APPS including Store if you want but then Store doesn't work. The 1.4 version can be used cmd line to eliminate metro apps but not sure of 1.50 cause that not in ReadMe_EN.txt.

Latest is 1.50 so I'm looking at it

To me maybe having both DWS and O&O is the thing but I'm still experimenting

sa7iser.png

Edited by maxXPsoft

@maxXPsoft

Yep :), thanks, but my note was slightly differently scoped, even deleting all the files in the OS, one by one, is likely to need - say - a few hundred Kbytes of commands in *any* scripting language, it was more like "what (the heck) did the good MG guys use to build such a large program/download?"

jaclaz

@maxXPsoft

Yep :), thanks, but my note was slightly differently scoped, even deleting all the files in the OS, one by one, is likely to need - say - a few hundred Kbytes of commands in *any* scripting language, it was more like "what (the heck) did the good MG guys use to build such a large program/download?"

jaclaz

New one 1.50 is called DWS_Lite.exe and only 204kb. He optimized his code and added stuff

Edited by maxXPsoft

With all due respect, how do you know for sure you can trust MS's own Firewall to default-deny MS's own info-gathering ???

I don't trust them at all, but I haven't seen any evidence that there is traffic that circumvents it.

If they DID push data through around their own firewall, that would be hugely embarrassing when someone found out about it and publicized it.

Besides, very few folks are doing this.  It takes more work I imagine than most are willing to put up with.

-Noel

"what (the heck) did the good MG guys use to build such a large program/download?"

Are there any graphics in the thing?

Something like just making a bunch of icons for the display in the wrong (too large) size could add a tremendous amount of extra overhead.  256 x 256 pixels may be a default in some tool, while the icons would never actually be displayed above say 64 x 64 pixels even on a 4K screen.  The difference per icon just in choosing 64 x 64 would be a savings of 60 kBytes.

-Noel

All of these efforts to disable data collection may be for naught.

--JorgeA

"Windows Insider Program manages this option".

So one could think you need to have opted into insider builds for to this to have any effect and if you've obliterated the telemetry and data collection operations like most of have you're not eligible for the insider program so you don't need to worry about it. Although considering the path Microsoft is on with W10 I wouldn't past them to just force it on everyone.

Edited by ptd163

jaclaz

New one 1.50 is called DWS_Lite.exe and only 204kb. He optimized his code and added stuff

Yep, now it sounds "normal", the newest is right now 1.5.248 and is on github, including the source code (should anyone be interested in it), now only 152 Kb:

https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying/releases/tag/1.5.248

@NoelC

Come on :), (10800000-152000)/60000 = 177 "icon deltas", it would be a rather complete icon collection ....  ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

jaclaz

Yep, now it sounds "normal", the newest is right now 1.5.248 and is on github, including the source code (should anyone be interested in it), now only 152 Kb:

https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying/releases/tag/1.5.248

@NoelC

Come on :), (10800000-152000)/60000 = 177 "icon deltas", it would be a rather complete icon collection ....  ;)

jaclaz

Yes with him releasing source he is showing there is nothing inside, good move.

But now there is something even sweeter

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174270-such-negativity-about-10/?p=1106197

Edited by maxXPsoft

All of these efforts to disable data collection may be for naught.

--JorgeA

"Windows Insider Program manages this option".

So one could think you need to have opted into insider builds for to this to have any effect and if you've obliterated the telemetry and data collection operations like most of have you're not eligible for the insider program so you don't need to worry about it. Although considering the path Microsoft is on with W10 I wouldn't past them to just force it on everyone.

Anybody reading this who is using the version of Windows 10 that was released to the general public starting July 29: please check to see if you can turn off the telemetry.

--JorgeA

It's not at all hard to imagine over 100 icons in an application.

Or it could have just been statically linked.

-Noel