Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

ptd163

[Guide] Disable Data Collection in Windows 10

Nice!

Suggest using 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1 on each entry in the hosts file you want to abort.

I wonder what some of those settings will do in terms of allowing Insiders to remain active...

-Noel

• Upvote 1

We've known about the Express Settings thing for a while. You should edit your post and link to the reddit threads you got this information from, presuming that author wasn't doing anything illegal.

Suggest using 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1 on each entry in the hosts file you want to abort.

Huh. That's what Unchecky uses as well. What's the difference between 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1?

Huh. That's what Unchecky uses as well. What's the difference between 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1?

A webserver (IIS/Apache) may be running on the computer, for one. AKA "home" is a valid address.

Try pinging both.  Requests rerouted to 0.0.0.0 fail at a more basic level.  Failure / abort is the goal.

-Noel

Good list so far.  Here are some more items to add to it:

Delete the following Scheduled Tasks:

Microsoft -> Windows -> Application Experience -> Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

Microsoft -> Windows -> Application Experience -> ProgramDataUpdater

Microsoft -> Windows -> Autochk -> Proxy

Microsoft -> Windows -> Customer Experience Improvement Program -> Consolidator

Microsoft -> Windows -> Customer Experience Improvement Program -> KernelCeipTask

Microsoft -> Windows -> Customer Experience Improvement Program -> UsbCeip

Microsoft -> Windows -> DiskDiagnostic -> Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector

Microsoft -> Windows -> PI -> Sqm-Tasks

Microsoft -> Windows -> Power Efficiency Diagnostics -> AnalyzeSystem

Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Error Reporting -> QueueReporting

And delete the following Registry keys:

HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> WMI -> AutoLogger -> AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener

HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> WMI -> AutoLogger -> SQMLogger

There's a lot more lurking in the registry, but the above is all I am sure about at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Interesting to see the expansion of the hosts list, including some nameless IP addresses in there now.  I'd have loved to see some comments on those entries describing where they go, though I am using the list now to see what - if anything - doesn't work.

So far, it seems to be able to check Windows Update for updates, and I seem to be able to access OneDrive via a web browser (I wouldn't want that any other way).

I'm actually expecting an improved experience as a result of these changes.

-Noel

Good list so far.  Here are some more items to add to it:

Delete the following Scheduled Tasks:

Microsoft -> Windows -> Application Experience -> Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser

Microsoft -> Windows -> Application Experience -> ProgramDataUpdater

Microsoft -> Windows -> Autochk -> Proxy

Microsoft -> Windows -> Customer Experience Improvement Program -> Consolidator

Microsoft -> Windows -> Customer Experience Improvement Program -> KernelCeipTask

Microsoft -> Windows -> Customer Experience Improvement Program -> UsbCeip

Microsoft -> Windows -> DiskDiagnostic -> Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector

Microsoft -> Windows -> PI -> Sqm-Tasks

Microsoft -> Windows -> Power Efficiency Diagnostics -> AnalyzeSystem

Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Error Reporting -> QueueReporting

And delete the following Registry keys:

HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> WMI -> AutoLogger -> AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener

HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> WMI -> AutoLogger -> SQMLogger

There's a lot more lurking in the registry, but the above is all I am sure about at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see if these get added back without the user's knowledge or input, the way that certain Windows Updates reappear even after you hide them.

--JorgeA

Going from preview build to the next build, yes, they always came back.  We will have to see on Windows Updates.

Interesting to see the expansion of the hosts list, including some nameless IP addresses in there now.  I'd have loved to see some comments on those entries describing where they go

I reflected as many IPs into hostnames as possible with nslookup. A server failure, A non-existent host, and a timeout are why the 3 remain. If there were any comments about the nameless IPs it wasn't in the Reddit thread this post started from.

Edited by ptd163

I'd be more interested in what parts of Windows accessed those locations, actually.

And yes, I would expect ALL of these tweaks to be undone with anything more than the most minimal Windows Update.  Microsoft thinks they have everyone conditioned to accept that kind of crap now.

The tweakers of the future will have to be re-tweakers - programs that run at startup and make sure things stay as the user wants them.  Not a big deal, really, but more of a pain than the "set it and forget it" stance we're used to.

Nice job on the reformatting of the OP by the way.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

FWIW,

I'm not saying at all that those three nameless IP's should be removed from your list, but for me:

65.39.117.230 -- Webpage not available -- took too long to respond
134.170.30.202 -- went to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps-and-games
137.116.81.24 -- brought up a page that just had "Ok" on it, whatever that means. :)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection]

"AllowTelemetry"=dword:00000000

apparently thats the key enterprise sets when you disable telemetry in group policy. the key appears to work on home and pro since it does disable, greys out, the data and usage box. it will also set what ever telemetry setting you have to the lowest one, basic, which it too does on enterprise.

it just needs more testing to make sure. 

Edited by fafreeman