Post your Windows 10 Upgrade experience

Tripredacus

I skipped Win 8 and was on the insider program for this 10.

I downloaded the MediaCreationToolx64.exe and burned to Usb. Done clean install and it would not Activate. Found out later the servers were bogged down that day I done it which was 1st day actually.

Acronis back and installed a Win 7 Sp1 dated ‎August ‎6, ‎2011 iso. Totally clean if you know what I mean minus a couple hundred updates :thumbup

Went to usb drive from desktop and ran setup and chose not to keep anything. Smooth and activated

Ended up with a Windows.old folder 59 mb

I am impressed with this 10 and will keep it. Course me I disable all that stuff people worry about. No Cortana cause I'm not switching to MS account

I am impressed with this 10 and will keep it. Course me I disable all that stuff people worry about. No Cortana cause I'm not switching to MS account

Yes, it's possible to make a desktop-centric, local account-based Win 10 configuration.

As far as being impressed...  I'd be interested in hearing what you find impressive.  I have been able to find very little to be impressed with so far.

-Noel

As far as being impressed...  I'd be interested in hearing what you find impressive.  I have been able to find very little to be impressed with so far.

-Noel

I used this with Insider so I was adapted to it I guess.

As I said I clean installed almost so no garbage was dragged over.

Had to install my programs I wanted and used the RunOnceEx

Start is back and I can live with the Tiles cause I've about removed them all and added my own except weather. No need to go to a weather site now. I can see its 100 degrees and we looking for 102 tomorrow

I've been gaming for last couple years and my ping was always 75-80 in game no matter what I done even clean install. Now its 35

Pages load a lot quicker with Fox. Took me a bit to figure out how to set it default. Have to go to Default Programs. Anyone have a reg tweak to force that? Its ok we can figure that out

Boot/Shut down in less than 10 seconds. Was getting 18 before

Maybe it was the 260+ updates with 7 dragging it down.

Always something exciting to toy with in a new OS. Making it work the way you want it to like we've done for a long time here on Msfn

Quit looking back its time to move on.

My upgrade went perfectly. The start menu is working beautifully along with my good friend Cortana.  I used express settings, and log in with my Microsoft Account.  I have the appearance customized a bit, you know themes, aeroglass, etc. but no unnecessary stuff.  I try to keep all as Windowscentric as possible.  All updates have gone well, and I have no issues what so ever.  I have a mean, clean, Windows 10 Machine!

My upgrade went perfectly. The start menu is working beautifully along with my good friend Cortana.  I used express settings, and log in with my Microsoft Account.  I have the appearance customized a bit, you know themes, aeroglass, etc. but no unnecessary stuff.  I try to keep all as Windowscentric as possible.  All updates have gone well, and I have no issues what so ever.  I have a mean, clean, Windows 10 Machine!

If you have any concern about your privacy, you better make a reinstall and DO NOT use express settings, go one by one selecting your preferences.

If you have any concern about your privacy, you better make a reinstall and DO NOT use express settings, go one by one selecting your preferences.

Got that right, If you chose Express you 1 out of 10,000 on this site would do that

Quit looking back its time to move on.

LOL, I'm as early adopter as they come.  Been involved with the preview program since day one.  I have a fully set up and optimized for work Win 10 test system here.  It's just that it's not (yet?) better than Win 8.1 for what I do, nor is it mature.  For some folks, "moving on" involves more than just a whim and a desire to be "fashionable".

Thank you for listing the benefits you've sensed.  I hadn't heard about a lower ping time.  I take it that's with an existing game.

I'm all about objective multi-system testing, and what I see is maybe a slight improvement in upload speed with Win 10...  No latency improvement though.  I'm not sure that's not just the expected variation one might expect from one test to the next.  Interesting that it's steadily faster as the systems get newer.

Nor am I sensing any apparent difference in page load times.  I suggest differing configurations could be responsible for that.

NetworkTest.png

NetworkTest.png

NetworkTest.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I have reviewed all the settings in custom, and found that the express settings are very well suited for my needs.  I also know there is not a roomful of Microsoft employees studying my every move.

screenshot_35.png

Edited by dhjohns

DHJohns, did you by chance get a comparative speed test from the old system before you upgraded?

-Noel

Wouldn't have done any good since my carrier just upgraded all its speeds across the board.

Hi everyone,

Sometimes when I restart to W10, there will be the icon of "All Control Panel Items" on the desktop, which I cannot delete directly. Always have to go to Settings > Personalization > Themes > Desktop icon settings > enable then disable Control Panel to get rid of it! It's a lot of steps to do, how vexing!

Anyone has this problem too? This occurred a few times on W10 upgraded from 8.1. Then I tried to clean install W10 and it has happened once too! Hope to have a solution to kill this issue for good! 

- A large amount of the scheduled tasks were corrupted or missing. As soon as I opened Task Scheduler, I had to click OK about 30 times on the various notifications that x task was corrupt. All of them were OS tasks! All the Office 2010 Tasks were missing! One user on Technet has reported getting corrupted tasks when going from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1.

A user named Dijji wrote a program to fix the broken tasks after a downgrade.

https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/