Post your Windows 10 Upgrade experience

Tripredacus

I figure I might as well do an upgrade test to see how well it works out. Feel free to post your upgrade experiences here too.

I will be using an Asus H97M-E (CSM) board, using RAID1.
- Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 installed on MBR disk with Recovery Partition.
- Intel IRST to manage the RAID (this did not work in the preview)
- Office 2010 Starter

What's the over-under on this actually working? :w00t:

Downloaded the MSDN Enterprise version ISO, but I don't see way to screen updates the way you could in Windows 7 like they said you could in Enterprise. Unless it's some obscure, buried setting which, knowing Microsoft's track record, it probably is. Or they just lied through their teeth and no version can screen updates. That's a possibility too.

And I'm not talking about the utility that they put out their after the Nvidia driver debacle. Microsoft talked up the Enterprise version as the only version that could screen updates with an external solution.

The VM I installed it on is also very laggy and sluggish. It frequently gets to point where I have force reset the VM just to able do things again. Definitely not a very rosy experience so far.

Edited by ptd163

If it's anything like installing the Tech Previews, you'll have a LARGE download, then a LONG installation experience.  Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights (it actually says something along those lines, though not in broken English).

Then you will find it will reset all your settings to what Microsoft wants.  Get used to that.

P.S., consider switching to RAID 0 to double your performance.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

With all due respect, of course, but: RAID 1 should always offer doubled read times and non-doubled write times, isn't it? And RAID 0 only doubles the performance when the relevant stripes are on different disks, but in any case, just for reads, too, isn't it? The main advantage of RAID 0 should be size, when that can make a difference, right?

Since stripes are divided between even/odd blocks, the I/Os are divided more or less evenly between disks.

Thus RAID 0 doubles I/O speed (if you only have 2 drives, otherwise it's more), but if you're using HDDs (bad idea, but some people still have older hardware) instead of SSDs then any given RAID 0 access will be delayed to the slowest seek time of the member drives involved.  So depending on the hardware "double the speed" is an oversimplification.

SSDs are so much more reliable than HDDs that doubling the chance for failure (or more, depending on the number of drives) isn't really asking for trouble.  I use 2 million hour MTBF SSDs myself.

Sorry, I sometimes assume people all use SSDs now.  It's the only civilized way to compute.  :)

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Terrible, broke my windows update, im downloading the iso i just cant upgrade, it tries to upgrade but fails with error code : WindowsUpdate_80240020

Tried everything, it doesnt work. Now im downloading the iso with the official toolkit.

SSDs are so much more reliable than HDDs that doubling the chance for failure

I actually set the system up not as an optimal system, but more likely either a regular joe type thing OR (more realistically) "likely to fail" type of configuration. This time around, I am actually using matched size drives* however they are not anywhere close to being new. More importantly they are quite old! AND they are 1x 80GB Western Digital and 1x 80GB Seagate! The only reason why I chose to do a RAID1 was because of a user on Technet who mentioned that when he upgraded his PC to Windows 10 IP, it broke his mirror.

I also purposefully chose Office 2010 Starter because I know it is not compatible with Windows 8.1. :sneaky:

The real test is whether or not I can use the Windows 7 recovery partition after the upgrade. Presuming I can even do the upgrade since I may have to remove Office first. However the RAID test is also important because if the upgrade removes the RAID software, this could be a big problem. So far I am not at the point where I have gotten a GWX notification. I may have more updates to install, so I will have to see in the morning.

*you make do with what you have. :D

2011-10-07114940.jpg

I look forward to reading your findings on that score, Tripredacus. 

All the nuggets of information about just how to "get there from here" that we have learned with past OSs may have become stale.  Or maybe not.  We can only know by testing things.

-Noel

The upgrade app on my freshly prepared 8.1 told me my AX300 graphics were incompatible because a suitable driver wasn't available, and therefore I wouldn't be able to proceed. I didn't let that stop me pressing on with a manual upgrade via https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

The installation completed in its own sweet time, my only concern being that my multi-boot menu didn't appear whenever the PC rebooted...

Once 10 was installed I went straight to device manager and let it find my ATI8391_Vista32 driver (which also works with 7 and 8.1), and surprise, surprise the AX300 graphics card was no difficulty at all...

In control panel I noticed that 'Personalisation' was spelled with an s, and 'Colour' with a u. That's the first time I've seen that out of the box for a UK installation! I still had to use 'Personalization' when creating a registry key to disable the lock screen on boot, though.

And so on to the first proper reboot, where, to my mild irritation, I found the problem I was expecting - yes there was no mult-boot menu any more. Now, as I've spent some considerable time setting up this particular playbox to run XP, 2003, Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10, as well as 3 different Linux distros, I ought perhaps to have been rather more vexed at this point. Instead, I went into 10's Startup And Recovery settings and set the default OS to 8.1 - henceforth my boot menu did return.

All of this on a Dell GX280 (3.4ghz P4 and 4gb RAM). I thank you.

Edited by PRB

I haven't been able to get the GWX icon to appear on the system. Running the task manually fails. I had seen it once, but apparently another Windows Update caused GWX.exe to no longer function! Anyways, there is a new Application Event Log called GWX-Ins. The icon is supposed to show up after a reboot, but doesn't. After clearing and restart, it makes 6 logs:

- GWX Main: Launched by task

- GWX Main: Launched for tray startup

- GWX CompatLib: Markers read successfully

- Machine is not MDM managed

- Windows is activated

- GWX Main: App failed to start hresult: Element not Found

Anyways you can upgrade using one of the downloads here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Which is what I am doing now.

About the talk of RAID, can I make RAID using laptop with one Internal SATA 3.0 500GB HDD & External USB 3.0 500GB,

or it just work for PCs an Servers ?

Edited by moataz

Assuming you ever want to use the laptop without the external drive, you may want to re-think that.

There are various ways to combine disks.  Though using the Intel RAID facilities in the chipset of a desktop motherboard often is a very good way to create a RAID array, it may be possible you could combine drives simply with diskmgmt.msc and get enhanced performance, but keep in mind that all the devices have to be present  and working all the time for e.g. RAID 0.

You may want to do some research on Microsoft "storage spaces" regarding flexibly connecting disks.  I'm not terribly strong on the details of how that works, but it may be able to help you with your goals.

-Noel

About the talk of RAID, can I make RAID using laptop with one Internal SATA 3.0 500GB HDD & External USB 3.0 500GB,

or it just work for PCs an Servers ?

Yikes, no!

You can do RAID on a notebook (look in my previous post with the spoiler) but you would need one with 2 HDD bays.

Windows 10 updated on my test PC just fine. Stayed on local account. RAID intact, software works... Office 2010 Starter works...

Recovery partition is still present but the lack of F8 menu means you can't boot into it. So now I am going to uninstall the Update (if it works) and try to re-get the update, as people were wondering about that.

Yikes, no!

You can do RAID on a notebook (look in my previous post with the spoiler) but you would need one with 2 HDD bays.

Thanks, I saw your lap pic already, and that what makes me wandered if RAID possible for laptops,

previously I looked at laptops with 2 HDD bays, but the price was very high, and only on high-end ones.

Do you know any model with low price, and whats your own ?