How do I Disable the Error (Queue) Reporting Task?

ssn650

Windows 10 x64 Enterprise RTM Version

One of the first things I did following a clean installation was to enter Task Scheduler and Delete the Microsoft Error Reporting (Queue Reporting) Task, along with the Consolidator and other useless customer improvement background applications.  

But every time I restart the system and check the Task Scheduler, the Queue Reporting task is back to haunt me!   How do I get rid of this telemetry "feature"?  Is there a setting in Local Group Policies that disables this task?  

It's so frustrating to have lost control of my own computer.  Who's the Administrator here, anyway?  If this keeps up I'm definitely going back to Windows 7.  

Cheers

Edit : OK, I just checked the Local Group Policy Editor and there is indeed an option to disable Windows Error Reporting.  I'll let you know if this works.  Looks like we've got some discovering to do...

Edited by ssn650

Indeed.

There are things I haven't been able to permanently rid myself of - yet.  For example there are a number of Modern-oriented processes running all the time I don't need nor want running.

On the other hand, if you eschew Microsoft's stupid Cortana / Windows Search you can get rid of indexing and things quiet down.

Out of curiosity, how many processes do you have running on a quiet system with no applications?  I'm in the mid 40s at the moment.

-Noel

SearchUI.exe is still there, so I misspoke a bit.  But I don't use Windows Search anywhere I can see.  I use Classic Shell.

I did manage to disable SearchUI.exe from starting, but just changing the permissions on SearchUI.exe to do that actually broke System Protection (i.e.,  SFC failed).  So I repaired it and SearchUI.exe is now back.  Until such time as I figure out how to really zap her.

I hate this new We Have Control, Do Not Attempt To Adjust Your Set approach by Microsoft.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I'm really hating this new release more and more every day...

To sum it up, I feel like i am on an unrooted android phone.. When I'm on my laptop..

I'm waiting for someone to build a custom windows 10 that has all the BS removed.

No store.. Metro apps.. No settings.. Full control panel.. Nothing connected with Microsoft servers running..

I need a bare bones.. Stripped down, un -Microsoft build of windows 10... I'm a legitimate license owner but dont even want Microsoft to have that info..

I don't even want Microsoft to know I'm running windows 10 lol...

All this spawned from windows activation. We are genuine now huh lol...

I miss the days when u inserted CD.. Put in key that was printed on the sleve... Done.

Those days are long gone.

Now Microsoft knows everything.. While you got your hand on the mouse, they got a microscope right up your tailpipe.

Edited by affidavit

It may be - for the first time in history - that it is technically impossible to run Windows that way.  That's a scary proposition, I know.

That being said, I'm developing just exactly that kind of configuration myself...  Local account, UAC off, as much Metrotard garbage disabled/removed as possible, telemetry disabled...  Even a possibly viable way to manage updates. 

So far, I've found that what's left can still be used as a viable desktop-only, no frills OS.  But it's VERY clear Microsoft has no intention of supporting this kind of usage!  At the moment I can't think of any "can't get there from here" situations.

The dots I can't quite seem to connect are that Microsoft makes the lion's share of its money from business use of the OS - so why are they turning it into a toy that's focused on anything BUT serious use?

Maybe they figure they have a year or three to tidy up the Enterprise edition to be serious again, since most big business is just now getting in a groove with Windows 7.  That's a comforting thought, because it says that they'll probably HAVE to pay attention to all the things they've screwed up soon.

Not to get too optimistic, though...  They've promised continuous changes to the OS.  What does that mean to you and me?  I think it means that we don't really know how long ANY part of the OS is going to continue to work the way it does now.  So even if I or someone else can come up with a configuration that eschews all this cloud and toy BS, there's no guarantee that configuration will continue to be viable even next month.  When are they planning to walk away from compatibility with applications

I can't see this as a business model that will do anything but fail, unfortunately.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

yea I agree with you,  Im not a hardcore gamer and don't play the latest games on my laptop anyways.. so loosing dx12 isn't a loss to me... I think Im going to go back to windows 7.

I simply miss it and its ease of working to my needs.. 

I will admit... I am like Hitler on my PC though.. haha.  I wan't full control of everything.  I don't think the "Cloud" has a place in the PC realm, where storage is not an issue.  

I also think touch screen is a gimmick in the pc realm... sure its cool, neat stuff, but to kind of tailor an OS around it is retarded.  I just don't like the whole mobile direction MS is taking.

To be honest though, Windows 10 will probably continue to be loved and praised as the best yet.  The masses of smartphone users will love this kinda thing.  

Generally speaking, you see the arrival of pushed updates when the OS creeps more into your personal info...  you see this on phones.  Its justified by having to be more secure because the os literally has more control of your personal info and what you do.  My guess is that Microsoft has these pushed updates to in turn protect the user from outside invasion of their own snooping.

Windows 10 feels... "smooth" and I like that about it.. i just hate every thing else... mark my words, in the future all software purchases will go threw the microsoft store, much like the play store.  That is why they are so hard pressed on this metro-app thing..  I think its what they want for the entirety of the Operating System.

• 1 month later...

How did you disable Cortana, Noel? I have every setting that I can find disabled and it's still in Task Manager.

Here is how I removed Cortana from running, and in the background, too.. I downloaded a43.exe(A43 is a file manager) just Google it.. It's  found on many websites.. 1st. run a43.exe.. 2nd using task manager, find the address of Cortana by right clicking on properties.. 3rd. go to that address with a43.. 4th. using task manager, turn off windows explorer.. The desktop will disappear.. Don't worry.. 5th. using a43, rename and add ".bak" to Cortana's file name. That gives you the ability to undo the change by renaming the file and deleteing ".bak"... On a restart, Cortana is disabled and so is the search.. Check with Task manager...

Some things to check:

• See if your system still passes an SFC /VERIFYONLY check.

• See what errors you log when starting up.  With Cortana removed one sees at least one for the failure to start searchui.exe, which implies

-Noel