Outlook woes on Windows 98 (all versions)

Tommy

I posted a thread a while back that nobody seemed to reply to, but this is very specific to Windows 98 and seems to apply to all compatibile versions of Microsoft Outlook. Outlook 97 won't let you create a new mail account. Outlook 98 lets you create a mail account, but can't create a new pst file. Outlook 2000, I can't remember what it does, and Outlook XP crashed with a message of sorry for the inconvenience but this program needs to close. So...I'm actually starting to point fingers at USP3. I have both it and KernelEx installed and as far as Outlook 98 is concerned, if I disable KernelEx or even boot into safe mode, I get an error about OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in
module OUTLLIB.DLL at 017f:6e3f8365 when I try to create a pst file. Outlook 98 should be totally compatible with Windows 98 SE vanilla, so what else is really left? And just for the record, Thunderbird doesn't cut it for me and is slow, I much prefer Outlook as my email client. So...is this something anyone could look into for me? I don't really have the time to test it myself so if anyone has time and is willing, test it and see what happens. It'd be greatly appreciated!

Your issue has nothing to do with SP3.X or KernelEx. I did a Google search and the problem occurs on Windows Xp and 2000. There seems to be no fix that I could find. I installed Office XP just to see if I could help you. Sorry, no cigar.

Thanks for testing that out for me. But it still doesn't make sense. If all these versions of Outlook were originally compatible with Windows 98, why are they failing now? Anyone know the answer to that one? Do you have links to what you found for further reading?

Hmm, I never actually thought of it that way. But it seems that it is more of a local problem than internet because I cannot even get to the point where I can create an account or personal folders file on the local machine. But I wonder if I disconnect from the internet as well...at least it is worth a try. I'm trying to connect Outlook up to gmail and really, I don't care which version I use, as long as I can get one of them to work.

I've been running Office 2k premium on many Win-98se machines for about a decade now. My specific version of Outlook is Outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) Corporate or Workgroup - Security Update.

One thing you have to watch for is to not let any .pst file get larger than 2 gb. There is a Microsoft System Information utility (which I didn't know existed until now) that might tell you something useful. You can start it from outlook (Help - About Microsoft Outlook - System Info). It starts msinfo32.exe - seems like an interesting program. Gives a list of a KB updates installed, a list of all running tasks, list of 16 and 32 bit modules, a list of all kernel mode, user mode and ms-dos drivers, and more.

Thanks for testing that out for me. But it still doesn't make sense. If all these versions of Outlook were originally compatible with Windows 98, why are they failing now? Anyone know the answer to that one? Do you have links to what you found for further reading?

I've had the same problem with every office xp installation--outlook crashes while

"configuring outlook

creating outlook accounts

creating welcome message"

I don't use outlook so I have never bothered to investigate but it does happen after updating.

Thanks for the replies! @Nomen: I just installed Office 2000 Premium last night and Outlook 2000 gives me the same error as Outlook 98 did.It will not let me create a PST file. I plan to use the IMAP feature on it. Could that be the issue at hand? I wouldn't think so because I started it up in Safe Mode which should have the internet disabled, and it still wouldn't let me create an account. Although, I didn't install SP3, but I will install it and give you suggestion a try.

@farfigs11: I really haven't used Office XP very much in my home environment at all, although I did in an office environment. I do use Office 2003 on my main Windows 2000 machine and likewise, I use Outlook 2003 on a daily basis, which has given me no trouble at all since the day I started using it in 2008.

If you're getting the page-fault caused by OUTLLIB.DLL while running Outlook 2000, for what it's worth my version of that file is 9.0.6627, with a file date of June 28 / 2002 and a size of 5,337,138.

Also - if you can at least start Outlook 2000 and start the system info utility as I described above - or find msinfo32 and run it before you start doing things with outlook, turn on Dr. Watson from msinfo32 tools menu. The Dr. Watson icon should show up in the system tray. See if it creates any log files during the outlook crash.

The reason for MS Outlook not working on my system is due to this PATCH, thats included in the SP. Thank you Tommy, I don't even use Office XP on Windows 98 and because you had a problem, I felt the need to help. Thanks for helping me improve SP3. I wonder if someone can fix it?

1. Install the lastest SP (Main Updates only)

2. Replace MPR.DLL 4.10.1999 from SP3 with the original Windows 98 version 4.10.1998

3. Install Office 2002/XP + Office SP3

4. Right click on Microsoft Outlook icon located on the Desktop and click Properties

5. Setup your email and enjoy.

A big thanks for testing and bug fixes. I will add notice to SP for users who uses MS Outlook/Express.

I'm so glad I could help, Problemchyld! I regularly run your SP3 on my Windows 98 machines so I continue to hunt for problems. At first I really thought it was KernelEx, but now we know the root of the problem. Hopefully it can be fixed where there will be no issue with it at all. :)

I'm so glad I could help, Problemchyld! I regularly run your SP3 on my Windows 98 machines so I continue to hunt for problems. At first I really thought it was KernelEx, but now we know the root of the problem. Hopefully it can be fixed where there will be no issue with it at all. :)

Now all you need is for someone to fix the patch.

> The reason for MS Outlook not working on my system is due to

> this PATCH, MPR.DLL 4.10.1999 from SP3

>

> Replace MPR.DLL 4.10.1999 from SP3 with the original Windows 98 version 4.10.1998

I can confirm that I have the original 4.10.1998 version of MPR.DLL (and hence do not have this problem with Outlook 2000).

Since we're on the topic - has anyone tested the win-ME version of MPR.DLL (4.90.3000) on win-98? They have the extact same file-size...