Realtek HDA strangely refuses to work on Win2k

AnX

This is quite a weird issue regarding Win2k on my system. i have it installed on the HDD. Now the M5a99fx pro r2.0 motherboard that I run is very similar to Phenomic's Sabertooth 990FX r2.0 board which ran 2k's audio just fine. If it helps, i cant run VGA as my GPU isn't supported at all. Will be moving to NVidia for that.

So the problem goes as is. The installer runs, installes said device, then reboots. But the actual audio doesn't work, despite the device being present and all. This is an updated Win2k with UUR and all that. I also got my TL-WN722N working great from a Win2k driver from 2010. But the Audio strangely has problems.

Any help?

Edited by AnX

Which driver did you try?  Does everything look okay in Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices?

My Z-77 Biostar boards also have the Realtek ALC892 audio chipset, and there’s never been any problem with W2K Pro.  When I first bought those boards, Biostar offered a Windows 2000 driver, but somewhere along the way (sigh…) they not only dropped W2K support from their latest audio driver download, but didn’t even keep the old driver available.  Fortunately I hung on to it.  I wonder if Phenomic used an older ASUS audio driver, e.g. 2012/08/15?

I would think the Realtek R2.74 executable (from the Realtek site) would work as well.  What is the nature of the failure?  No audio at all?  Intermittent?

Looks like the problem has crept up again. When I tried to install a driver for the GPU audio, the Reaktek audio quit and i can't get it up anymore. I've tried the previous methods without any success.

This is an updated Win2k with UUR and all that.

I have fixed the audio problem by installing thew BWC extended kernel.

If you installed BWC’s kernel on top of the extended kernel already included in UUR, that has been known to cause problems.

This is an updated Win2k with UUR and all that.

I have fixed the audio problem by installing thew BWC extended kernel.

If you installed BWC’s kernel on top of the extended kernel already included in UUR, that has been known to cause problems.

In that case. What is the best installation method for Win2k/kernel?

In that case. What is the best installation method for Win2k/kernel?

That’s one of the main questions we face once deciding to pursue advanced Windows 2000 Professional installation.  In a sense there are two distinct ways to go (notwithstanding the “infinity” of whatever else people can come up with on their own):

• blackwingcat extended kernel included in Unofficial Update Rollup
  • one of blackwingcat’s more recent extended kernel releases

…since there seems to be a conflict between the two.

So you can use HFSLIP and / or nLite (for examples) to perfect your own Windows 2000 Professional OS disc, and use one of BWC’s latest extended kernel and extended core releases.

Or you can use the Unofficial Update Rollup that tomasz86 makes, the latest of which includes BWC’s extended kernel circa November 2014 (or, you can create appropriate SFXCAB files and update UUR for HFSLIP yourself).

The good news is that we may soon have the best of both worlds, so to speak, if tomasz86 decides to pursue an up-to-date HFSLIP package and / or UUR that includes BWC’s (or whomever’s) most advanced extended kernel release:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000/page-32#entry1103672

Edited by bluebolt

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. Found the solution. it turns out that you need to install this driver before you install UUR. I did that and now everything's fine.