Software that does not work on Windows 10

Tripredacus

This thread is for software or drivers that one would reasonably suspect should work on Windows 10.... For example, it may have worked/installed on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, but doesn't install/run on Windows 10. Also this is for any Windows 10 builds 10240 (RTM) and newer.

So far I have found one program that does not install:

Norton Antivirus 2014

I upgraded W8.1 to W10 and found that Avira, which was running well on W8.1 before, was deactivated.

Had to remove it and use the well known anti virus available with W10, Windows Defender!

So far I have found one program that does not install:

Norton Antivirus 2014

Well, this could actually be added as a "Pro" here ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174112-pros-and-cons-tonight-show-style/

Pro:  Norton Antivirus 2014 won't install

Con: You will need to find another stupid mass of bloat to slow down your too fast machine and clog your hard disks and Registry

:lol:

jaclaz

Actually, I can't imagine that people would expect a 3rd party antivirus package crafted to work on one version of Windows to work on another.  Such software cuts too deeply into system internals to be expected to be compatible.  And frankly it's unnecessary (see my Anti-Malware Suggestions post).

Regarding what software does or doesn't work on the desktop overall... 

Honestly - outside of the degradation of the look and feel of things like the common controls - I haven't found there to be degradation of application compatibility in all the applications I've tested.  In fact, one or two of my old ones seem to actually work a little better on Win 10 than on Win 8.1 (thinking, for example, of an old text editor package called Codewright).  In some ways, the compatibility features of Win 10 see to be more like those of Win 7.

Now, system software...  Things that change the nature of Windows, such as start menu replacements, shell extensions, look-and-feel modifiers...  These all tend to have problems with new OS releases, since again they often cut deeply into undocumented workings. 

• Classic Shell has a mostly working beta version that now works decently with Win 10 build 10240, though it has a few quirks, such as an occasional delay in showing the Start Menu, a Run feature that doesn't pop anything up, and possibly others.  I expect a fully working release soon.

• Aero Glass for Win 8 doesn't really work yet, because we haven't yet seen a version specifically engineered for a build newer than 10130.  I assume that's work in progress.  But parts of Big Muscle's software seem to work just fine - his UxThemeSignatureBypass DLLs work perfectly, for example.

• I use a nice little tool called WUNotify for Win 8.1 that, because of Windows Update changes, doesn't work with Win 10.  Given what Microsoft's done, it's really not even applicable.

In My Opinion, Microsoft clearly recognizes that they failed to win hearts and minds with Win 8, so they've put some extra effort into smoothing the transition from Win 7.  That means you'll find very few programs, other than those that rely on undocumented interfaces, that are overtly incompatible.

-Noel

I take back my words! I tried turning off Windows Defender today and then installing Avira again. It's working fine now. I'm glad it works because any time I can right-click on a file or folder and then scan it with Avira. I cannot do this if I use Windows Defender.

Windows Defender has presumably already automatically scanned it if it's on your disk, and will scan it if you're looking to run or copy it from some other (e.g., removable / network) media.

Not sure if you've seen it, but I've written up some suggestions here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173660-anti-malware-suggestions/

-Noel