Is there a way to reserve Win 10's without IDENTIFYING the machine

crashnburn4u

Is there a way to reserve Win 10's without IDENTIFYING the machine? 

Lets say, I have a Win 8 Pro license from the $14.99 sale that I am not currently using on a machine, as yet? 

I figured Win 10 upgrades for OEM licenses would be tied to machine and non OEM licenses would be tied to previous License code? 

I believe that during the reservation process it asks for an email address. I'm not sure but it also isn't mandatory. The reservation I did couldn't possibly be accessable as I neither registered, nor kept that OS installation around.

How can I explain... I can't get my reservation because I formatted the hard drive about 5 minutes after making it. :)

I believe that during the reservation process it asks for an email address. I'm not sure but it also isn't mandatory. The reservation I did couldn't possibly be accessable as I neither registered, nor kept that OS installation around.

How can I explain... I can't get my reservation because I formatted the hard drive about 5 minutes after making it. :)

Whoa! So, doesnt the link back to your Pre Win 10 ...OS License stand as a record somewhere? Or is a license once used BURNT UP and its Win 10 upgrade cant be obtained ever again? 

You don't need the reservation but you certainly won't get activated without identifying your machine.
I ask only about RESERVATION as I DO NOT INTEND to upgrade or ACTIVATE to Win 10 anytime soon. Just the way I bought a $14.99 Windows 8 license, but am not using it YET. 

So, how can I reserve, without having an existing install on hardware? I'd like to reserve before July 29th. Is it possible using just the Windows 8 key that I have and a Gmail address? Or does it have to be installed and activated using that Win 8 key?

Whoa! So, doesnt the link back to your Pre Win 10 ...OS License stand as a record somewhere? Or is a license once used BURNT UP and its Win 10 upgrade cant be obtained ever again?

I can't say for certain. I doubt it is actually tied to the license and more or less just enabled on that current installation. So reinstalling Windows would make it so you didn't have the reservation anymore and you could prob get GWX to install and prompt for it again.

You actually WANT to reserve this turkey?

Just had a Windows Update yet again undo a bunch of tweaks I've made.  This "we know best" update policy is really ticking me off!

-Noel

I can't say for certain. I doubt it is actually tied to the license and more or less just enabled on that current installation. So reinstalling Windows would make it so you didn't have the reservation anymore and you could prob get GWX to install and prompt for it again.

You actually WANT to reserve this turkey?

Just had a Windows Update yet again undo a bunch of tweaks I've made.  This "we know best" update policy is really ticking me off!

-Noel

Exactly why I want to only RESERVE it, not INSTALL and ACTIVATE it... YET!! :) 

PS: I just went from Win 7 to Win 8 (Gradual.. Careful with a Watcful eye)

Are you sure you know the difference between "reserving" it and "giving the green light to install it"?

If you were to, say, wait 11 months and decide finally to upgrade, do you not think Microsoft will let you?

-Noel

Are you sure you know the difference between "reserving" it and "giving the green light to install it"?

If you were to, say, wait 11 months and decide finally to upgrade, do you not think Microsoft will let you?

-Noel

Lets not get into the argument of 11 months later or not.. I want a "reservation" or "license" .. NOW. Its a TO DO for now.. I have other things that are gonna make me super busy in the coming year. Does that help? 

I'd rather take some steps now than try and do stuff when I am busier then. 

From what I read other places I cant do so without having a machine running. So, I am considering putting a Vanilla install in a VM and trying it out.. (unless you tell me I can do so without one?)

Don't get me wrong, I want everyone to get what Microsoft has promised and I'm not being critical of your desires or needs.

What I'm warning against is that by "reserving" you may be giving permission to Microsoft to upgrade you the moment they want to do so - not when it's convenient or appropriate for YOU.

Regarding putting up a test version...  The time to become an insider has passed.  I think it's impossible to put up a clean installation of Windows 10 right now because it won't activate, though I'm not sure whether any of the variants do or will provide a "trial period" (e.g., there's normally a 90 day free trial capability of Windows Enterprise).  I'm not even sure that right now, just before the general availability, you could even install Windows 10 as an "upgrade" and have it activate.

In a week I'm sure things will become much clearer.

I invite anyone who knows more or has done a recent "Vanilla install" within the past week or two to chime in here.

-Noel