Info on Windows 2000 and multi-core, -thread or -CPU machines

AnX

If you wish to properly use Windows 2000 on any multiple core, thread, or CPU system, you must not install Update Rollup 1.

This update has a bug which basically breaks proper Win2k multi-cpu support. it causes them to reach abnormally high temps.

Instead, use Gurgelmeyer's USP5 and then Update Rollup 2, and then UUR or BWC ext. kernel. That's how I do it, and Win2k runs great with any multi-core setup, recognizing upto 8 cores flawlessly.

qBx71WF.png

Yeah. i don't know what MS's intention was, but it certainly wasn't good. Especially considering they released this very rollup the same year the first multi core CPUs came out... :whistle:

Edited by AnX

Windows 2000 “Update Rollup” was always such an oddity.  Just what did they have in mind?  Someone obviously thought the idea would go somewhere or other (Update Rollup 2?) but the concept apparently never took off.  We know the rest, and what a turnaround:  no more service packs for W2K Pro, not even a final Service Pack.  At least there were some cumulative updates released later.

They short-changed XP on service packs as well, as their longer-term strategy took shape:  don’t compete with alternative operating systems, get rid of them.  So far they’ve more or less cut off both support and hardware (we here being a little less “cut off” than most computer users, buyers and builders, because of what we know).

Going forward (if you can call it that) the creep clearly intends to cut off installation of anything other than the Rolling Nightmare it calls Windows 10, which frankly looks to me like one long, evolving Service Pack to nowhere.  I’d rather fight than switch.

Edited by bluebolt

Windows 2000 “Update Rollup” was always such an oddity.  Just what did they have in mind?  Someone obviously thought the idea would go somewhere or other (Update Rollup 2?) but the concept apparently never took off.  We know the rest, and what a turnaround:  no more service packs for W2K Pro, not even a final Service Pack.  At least there were some cumulative updates released later.

They short-changed XP on service packs as well, as their longer-term strategy took shape:  don’t compete with alternative operating systems, get rid of them.  So far they’ve more or less cut off both support and hardware (we here being a little less “cut off” than most computer users, buyers and builders, because of what we know).

Going forward (if you can call it that) the creep clearly intends to cut off installation of anything other than the Rolling Nightmare it calls Windows 10, which frankly looks to me like one long, evolving Service Pack to nowhere.  I’d rather fight than switch.

Microsoft has gotten progressively lazier with each NT release. Every NT operating system since 4.0 has had subsequently fewer service packs.

NT 4.0 had 6, 2000 had 4, XP had 3, Vista had 2, and Windows 7 had one. Anyone who needs to install Windows 7 from Service Pack 1 to today (or in 2019) is going to have a boatload of updates to install.

If you wish to properly use Windows 2000 on any multiple core, thread, or CPU system, you must not install Update Rollup 1.

This update has a bug which basically breaks proper Win2k multi-cpu support. it causes them to reach abnormally high temps.

I think this may be a solution to the problem:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000/?p=1103612