Another reason why the IoT may not be that good an idea ...

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another idea: how about having your food (the food itself, not the fridge) connected to the Internet?  :wacko:

Innit wants to digitize food so you know exactly what to make for dinner

If there was an inventory of all the food in your fridge and cupboards, figuring out what to make for dinner would be a matter of using that list to find recipes that brought some of these ingredients together. And if there was a way for the four-pound chicken you bought last night to communicate with your oven, it would also take some of the guesswork out of you trying to figure out how long and at what temperature to cook it.

So, how would the meat dish communicate with your oven? Wouldn't it need to have some kind of embedded processor and receiver/transmitter?

Hmmm... :dubbio:

...if nothing else, this would lend new meaning to the phrase, "fish and chips"...  :D

--JorgeA

The food would have to be in packaging that included an rfid tag for what it is and a pressure sensor to weigh how much is left. And also an air-quality sensor to determine when to throw it out!

Another option would be to use something like ground-penetrating sonar to look into the fridge and cupboards and "see" what was available....

Yep there is a lot of over-engineering around, or sometimes solutions in search for problems around lately. :(

As a side note (not IoT related but connected to both MS and over-engineering) anyone spotted the new Surface 4 hinge retention mechanism?

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Book+Teardown/51972

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/huKvGB5OOUGxSrY3.medium

http://hackaday.com/2015/11/04/microsoft-surface-book-teardown-reveals-muscle-wire-mechanism/

A normal push release button must have been seen as too d@mn simple and robust. :unsure:

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm :unsure: not really good news for the IoT guys:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/why-algebraic-eraser-may-be-the-most-risky-cryptosystem-youve-never-heard-of/

A potential standard for securing network-connected pacemakers, automobiles, and other lightweight devices has suffered a potentially game-over setback after researchers developed a practical attack that obtains its secret cryptographic key.

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Only seemingly OT:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/12/09/firefox-os-pivot-to-connected-devices/

Firefox OS Pivot to Connected Devices

Everything is connected around us. This revolution has already started and it will be bigger than previous technology revolutions, including the mobile smartphone revolution. Internet of Things, as many call it today, will fundamentally affect all of us.

We will prototype this future starting right now using technologies developed as part of the Firefox OS project to give us a kick start.

We will make space for this exploration by stopping our work to build and ship smartphones through carrier partners.

We will explore and prototype new use cases in the world of connected devices as an open source project with a clear focus on the user benefit and experience.

We will focus on products and technologies that allow people to access and manage their world of connected devices, helping to ensure people are empowered, safe and independent.

We are excited about the challenges and opportunities ahead of us. We believe that the Web can be the right platform for this future of connected devices and we can’t wait to share more with everyone soon.

Basically translates (as I read it) to "the next Revolution will be made out of IoT, we tried leveraging on the previous one and we failed at it, let us try the same people and approach with the second".

Or if you prefer ;):

I will have such revenges on you both
That all the world shall—I will do such things—
What they are yet I know not, but they shall be
The terrors of the earth. You think I’ll weep?
No, I’ll not weep.

in a modernized version, more similar to:

http://nfs.sparknotes.com/lear/page_138.html

I’ll get revenge on you both that will make the whole world… I will do such things—I don’t know what I’ll do exactly, but it’ll be devastating. You expect me to cry? Well, I won’t.

jaclaz

Speaking of IoT devices being all around us...

Connected toys and the IoT could be the next weapons of mass surveillance

There is a movement underway that sees every conceivable device being transformed into a connected device. This is more than just the Internet of Things -- security experts are warning that not only could any devices connected to the internet (including web-enabled toys) could be used to spy on users, placing children at risk.

The concerns have been voiced following the recent publication of the draft Investigatory Powers Bill in the UK. Experts warn that internet firms could be forced by security and intelligence agencies to hack into devices and spy on users. One of the more troubling suggestions is that children's toys could be remotely access and used as surveillance tools.

I like the following observation down in the comments section:

Nobody asked for IoT and nobody needs it, either. Its an insane idea with only two purposes - to monetize every slice of bread you toast and to brainwash future generations into accepting Big Brother without question.

--JorgeA

I think my next home will be a Faraday cage. And all of my networked devices will be connected by Ethernet. Nothing wireless except maybe my landline phone. Not sure how I'll manage a mobile phone yet. Haven't had one in years, and in no great hurry to get one.

Not sure how I'll manage a mobile phone yet. Haven't had one in years, and in no great hurry to get one.

It might be a better time to get one, at least something is stirring in the fake cell simulator regulations:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/government-can-you-hear-me-now-cell-site-simulators-arent-secret-anymore

Now some more news:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/11/hundreds_of_thousands_of_engine_immobilers_hackable_over_the_net/

Hundreds of thousands of engine immobilisers hackable over the net

... the flaws allow attackers who log into any account -- including a universal demonstration account - to log into any of the 360,000 units ThinkRace claims it sold without need of a password.

A microphone installed in the devices also allows attackers to eavesdrop on cars.

The same units are built into children's watches sold by ThinkRace and likely contain the same flaws allowing kids to be eavesdropped and tracked.

jaclaz

Pure folly :w00t::

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20151214/07452133070/lightbulb-drm-philips-locks-purchasers-out-third-party-bulbs-with-firmware-update.shtml

Light Bulb DRM: Philips Locks Purchasers Out Of Third-Party Bulbs With Firmware Update from the Patch-notes:-Adds-'buyer's-remorse' dept

The world of connected devices is upon us and things have never been better. Criminals can access your email account by breaking into your fridge. Your child's toys and your television record your conversations and send them to manufacturers' servers, where criminals are (again) able to access them. Your home thermostat goes HAL 9000 and attempts to set your house on fire. And, now, your light bulbs won't do the one thing you expect them to do: produce light. 

Purchasers of the Philips Hue "smart" ambient lighting system are finding out that the new firmware pushed out by the manufacturer has cut off access to previously-supported light bulbs.

Retracted :), but for how long?

http://www.developers.meethue.com/documentation/friends-hue-update

Friends of Hue - Update

We recently upgraded the software for Philips Hue to ensure the best seamless connected lighting experience for our customers. This change was made in good faith. However, we under estimated the impact this would have on a small number of customers who use lights from other brands which could not be controlled by the Philips Hue software. In view of the sentiment expressed by our customers, we have decided to reverse the software upgrade so that lights from other brands continue to work as they did before with the Philips Hue system.

We are working on the reversal of the upgrade and will shortly confirm when this will be available.

Philips remains committed to providing our customers with the best possible connected lighting experience. That is why we launched the Friends of Hue partnership program to test and certify that products and platforms from other brands work seamlessly with Philips Hue. Customers using uncertified lights may continue to have the same incompatibility issues as before, such as lights not dimming to off, creating the right colors or scene experience.

Philips welcomes other brands to join as Friends of Hue so that we can work together to ensure seamless and great lighting experiences.

Now, this:

However, we under estimated the impact this would have on a small number of customers who use lights from other brands which could not be controlled by the Philips Hue software.

translated, means:

We did estimate the possible effects but deemed them to be irrelevant.

and this:

Philips welcomes other brands to join as Friends of Hue so that we can work together to ensure seamless and great lighting experiences.

translated means:

We are the self-declared Lords of lighting and you'd better join our club.

I will translate this into Latin ;):

This change was made in good faith.

excusatio non petita ...

On the other hand it shows that a large company can actually revert a stupid change to their software :yes:, maybe someone in Redmond may take a hint... :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

^^ Heh, get ready for tires that don't work with your car, screwdrivers that won't drive uncertified screws, and toasters that won't toast white bread -- all for your health and safety, of course.

--JorgeA

• 3 weeks later...

Well, (according to this survey):

https://newsroom.accenture.com/news/heightened-security-concerns-and-falling-smartphone-demand-stymie-consumer-technology-market-growth-accenture-survey-reveals.htm

A polling of 28,000 consumers across 28 countries, the Igniting Growth in Consumer Technology survey finds that for nearly half (47 percent) of respondents, security concerns and privacy risks rank among the top three barriers to buying an IoT device and service. IoT devices include smartwatches, wearable fitness monitors, and smart home thermostats, among others.

we can maybe still have some hope in humanity ... :)

... though the suggested cure seems to me worse than the illness :w00t::ph34r:

“Despite all its promise, the Internet of Things market has revealed itself to be a double-edged sword,” Luukkonen said. “The market opportunity is enormous, but security and ease-of-use concerns are hindering its near- and long-term potential. To ignite this market, consumer technology companies should consider getting serious about ecosystems, sharing data, and creating integrated services across multiple companies, such as building a connected home through an integrated home security camera, thermostat, and door lock."

jaclaz

^^ The proposed solution addresses issues of customer convenience, as with those third-party light bulbs that Philips had made "incompatible" with its smart plugs. But the customers in the survey are reporting that they're concerned about their security and privacy.

The patient is complaining of an ear infection and doctor Luukkonen is prescribing an antacid. :blink:

--JorgeA