Another reason why the IoT may not be that good an idea ...

jaclaz

And now (at least in Europe) 2016 will seemingly be the year of a pico-revolution :w00t::

http://www.archos.com/us/picowan/

www.archos.com/corporate/press/press_releases/PR_PicoWAN_20151006_EN.pdf

I actually could tell the good guys where they can pico-stuff their pico-gateways :unsure: but maybe it would not be nice/polite :unsure::

A collaborative network at a very low price
The cost of a pico-gateway is some 100 times less than the cost of a rooftop installation.
Instead of investing tens of million euros in infrastructure, PicoWAN will create a highly
competitive LP-WAN thanks to the viral diffusion of very low-cost pico-gateways.
To ensure the deployment of a global network throughout Europe, PicoWAN plans to
distribute up to 200,000 free pico-gateways by the end of 2016.
PicoWAN will offer a subscription plan starting at £0.50 pence per year per connected
object. Those who will deploy pico-gateway networks locally will receive up to 50% of the
income resulting from the connections passing through their pico-gateways.

jaclaz

Case in point as to why IoT is a bad idea...

Have no security fears though, because this thermostat-generated network disappears once you’ve finished Wi-Fi Setup.

This is from a guide on how to connect your new Honeywell Thermostat to a wireless network. If said SSID has been present "for a while" then it is likely a case where a technology is enabled by default where it probably shouldn't be.

Maybe it's a case where the user never did the Wi-Fi Setup but just hooked it up and figured they didn't need to if they were only going to use it "manually"?

Cheers and Regards

Have no security fears though, because this thermostat-generated network disappears once you’ve finished Wi-Fi Setup.

This is from a guide on how to connect your new Honeywell Thermostat to a wireless network. If said SSID has been present "for a while" then it is likely a case where a technology is enabled by default where it probably shouldn't be.

Maybe it's a case where the user never did the Wi-Fi Setup but just hooked it up and figured they didn't need to if they were only going to use it "manually"?

Of course, that is possible. Now consider this one example and apply it to all the other network-integrated devices that is being sold. What percentage of those are being setup (not to mention secured) properly?

Of course, that is possible. Now consider this one example and apply it to all the other network-integrated devices that is being sold. What percentage of those are being setup (not to mention secured) properly?

I'd wager...anyone who still owns a VCR, probably still hasn't worked out how to set the clock.

So, using it 'manually' is not out of the question.

But then, many of these devices are simply "solutions to problems I don't have".

I'm waiting for the f'kin genius who invents a wireless light bulb that texts me when its blown. Ya wouldn't know otherwise.

I'd wager...anyone who still owns a VCR, probably still hasn't worked out how to set the clock.

I'd take that bet. I still have two VCRs to play my old VHS tapes, and I set the clocks on both of them every few months because I'm OCD that way. :)

Sony SLV-N71 VCR connected by RCA cables to a Philips 40PFL-4909 40" LED TV

Samsung DVD-VR375 combo DVD/VCR connected by HDMI to a Samsung UN40D6420UFXZA 40" 3D LED TV

You cannot generalize like that :no:.

Most members of this forum will have read several pages of instructions to learn and set the clock properly :yes: (once :whistle:).

Then after the first blackout or after the general switch needed to be put to off for some repairs, they will have lost a few days desperately searching the instruction booklet (that was thrown away the same day the VCR was bought or that managed to somehow get under a pile of book somewhere in a storage place).

Then they will have spent a few hours :w00t: trying blindly to push buttons until they either completely failed or succeeded in setting the clock. 

In any case the next blackout neutered that. :(

And so, finally everyone will have learned to live with the :

vcr.gif

After some time it actually seems like a nice idea when you enter your sitting room at night and see the small blinking something, a small lighthouse in the darkness. ;)

jaclaz

I'll stand corrected, mastery of technology is something many folks enjoy- the best of technology does the mundane things easily so we get on with doing.

Am I getting ambivalent in my age, I used to set the oven clock every time I visited the in-laws.

Perhaps I caught their feelings on the clock. Let it be wrong.

If you still allow java on your machine... is it still not the most annoyingly updated thing on the planet!  Feel like a slave to the machine.

Its like feeding a stupid tamagotchi. We tried to print a document at a clients house- turns out she bought some replacement ink cartridges.... the onslaught of messages for each ink tank had to be clicked through before we overrode all the warnings our $30 printer might suffer and die from non-geniune ink.

Next our IoT connected printer will inform HP or whoever, and first void any useless warranty on a cheap product to begin with, and all but disable functionality for supporting a local cartridge refill operator trying to make a buck instead of buying 'Genuine'.

These arguments are all old, the price of ink more than gold etc... "thats how they make their money... ", ha,  My Canon MX850 Printer/Fax thing, won't allow any function after startup if it discovers there is an empty ink tank... no faxing or scanning... no, nothing. Great firmware)

The only Winning game is not play it seems.

Speaking of bad ideas...

Go to 34:47 and start listening from there. :w00t:  :ph34r:

--JorgeA

Their own player is annoying, in that (apparently) you can't slide the thingie directly to the place where you want to start listening. Rather, you have to wait the whole 34:47 to get to the desired place.

Try this instead:

--JorgeA

Its like feeding a stupid tamagotchi. We tried to print a document at a clients house- turns out she bought some replacement ink cartridges.... the onslaught of messages for each ink tank had to be clicked through before we overrode all the warnings our $30 printer might suffer and die from non-geniune ink.

Next our IoT connected printer will inform HP or whoever, and first void any useless warranty on a cheap product to begin with, and all but disable functionality for supporting a local cartridge refill operator trying to make a buck instead of buying 'Genuine'.

These arguments are all old, the price of ink more than gold etc... "thats how they make their money... ", ha,  My Canon MX850 Printer/Fax thing, won't allow any function after startup if it discovers there is an empty ink tank... no faxing or scanning... no, nothing. Great firmware)

The only Winning game is not play it seems.

It wouldn't surprise me if, sooner or later, printer manufacturers added a "Terms of Service" that expressly forbade the use of third-party inks, much like Microsoft apparently forbids disabling the spying functions in Windows 10. "Why, you're tampering with our product!!!!"

Far-fetched? Check this out.

--JorgeA

ralcool, on 10 Oct 2015 - 7:16 PM, said:

I'm waiting for the f'kin genius who invents a wireless light bulb that texts me when its blown. Ya wouldn't know otherwise.

Oh light bulbs are already available in WiFi and Bluetooth flavors.  Search "wifi light bulb" on Amazon - at least 22 hits available for purchase - get yours NAOW! Don't you know they're "SMART"!1!1oneone  

:w00t: (insert wacky arms inflatable tube man)

Sadly I already knew the answer, I was looking for some irony in the comment.

Although I did see somewhere how the wifi bulbs could effectively form a mesh hub wifi repeater network in your home... and possibly wider with some creativity.

It has potential to improve signal strength and throughput anywhere in the home/office...district.