winamp 5.0.3a release!

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

You are bound by Winamp EULA. It says that what you did is illegal.

According to EULA, you will be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, U.S.A., excluding its conflict of law provisions.

You may be sentenced to death. Wait for cops!

there isn't anything in the EULA about repacking, while retaining full functinality.

I've checked before, remember my last Winamp installer? they haven't changed the EULA all that much since then.

You're just not aloud to remove anything. Mac didn't, everything is still there, you just have to turn it on :)

Well! What about this:

3. RESTRICTIONS ON USE. Licensee may not: (i) modify or create any derivative works of the Product; (ii) decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to (a) derive the source code, underlying ideas, algorithms, structure or organization of the Product, or (:) defeat, avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate or otherwise circumvent any software protection mechanisms in the Product (except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction); (iii) attempt to access or use the premium features of the Premium Product if Licensee has not paid the applicable fees or by any manner or method other than using the key provided by Nullsoft; (iv) redistribute, encumber, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer the Product or rights thereto; (v) use the Product to reproduce, display, perform, or distribute audio and/or video content in any manner that violates any U.S. or foreign laws or regulations or any third party's rights, including copyright, privacy or publicity rights, or other intellectual property right; (vi) use the Product in a timesharing or service bureau arrangement; or (vii) remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright or other proprietary notices, legends, symbols or labels in the Product. The Nullsoft produced Skins that are provided with the Product may only be used with the Product and may not be used with any other media player or other third party product.

Supply of this Product does not convey a license nor imply any right to distribute content created with this Product in revenue-generating broadcast systems (terrestrial, satellite, cable and/or other distribution channels), revenue-generating streaming applications (via Internet, intranets and/or other networks), other revenue-generating content distribution systems (pay-audio or audio-on-demand applications and the like) or on commercially distributed physical media (compact discs, digital versatile discs, semiconductor chips, hard drives, memory cards and the like). An independent license for such use is required. For details, please visit http://mp3licensing.com.

iv) redistribute, encumber, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer the Product or rights thereto;

that would be the ONLY part of that paragraph that might disallow it. And it is also under interpretation.

we MIGHT fall under the redistribute clause, but it is bundled with the others in such a way it would lead to one's thinking they meant to do anything to the program or installer to sell it. We aren't. Simple as that.

I'll see about getting in touch with the nullsoft people about it, but they are pretty cool about this stuff. As long as you didn't change or crack or bypass anything in the program itself, they usually don't really care.

Nullsoft installer itself is open source, you know.

I just wanted you to be careful about Winamp since it's copyrighted, you see.

Usually, you are allowed to modify any application for your own use since it's not going to leave your computer. This is understood from almost all EULAs.

However, it's all up to you.

Thanks for the nice conversion to msi.

I said that it's up to you. However, Winamp is not a public domain.

And, I'd prefer to instruct people on how to modify their own copy not to distribute a modified copy. This is the point.

Moreover, I respect Mac and I didn't mean he was bad. I know he's clever and spent much time to satisfy people at this forum. But, some warning makes no loss!

is there any chance you might be able to update it to the latest version of winamp, there has been a security post about winamp 5.03 on many websites, there has been a silent update of winamp that fixes the security risk when a certain streamed file is played.

the latest silent update is even newer i believe, i dont have the old one as ive killed my bios, so using another computer and cannot compare filesizes, maybe you could download it and see if its the same size in bytes or not. not sure if 5.03a fixes the problem or if its a problem since 5.03a was released.

i hate silent updates, which they could just change the version number so it says 5.03a on the site with the updates !

XtremeMaC , you are WANTED to replace this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AudioCD\shell\play\command\"D:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe" %1

with this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AudioCD\shell\play\command\[ProgramFilesFolder]Winamp\Winamp.exe %1