Can't install themes correctly.

Stormbringer CX

Hello there! This is my FIRST post. 

Sub: Can't get 3rd party themes installed, no matter what!!? :}

I've used Windows XP, Vista and Seven in the past, patched a lot of features(yeah, messed up a few times) and protected system files to enable different features. So patching 'uxtheme.dll' and files related to it wasn't that hard on XP, Vista and Seven.

But Windows 8.1 is making me feel totally sick. I mean, I've tried using 'Uxstyle' and 'UltraUxThemePatcher' separately on different occasions. I got Aeroglass 8.1 installed. Used the Registry tweaks given here (in their download) [http://xxinightxxcreative.weebly.com/free-windows-aero.html]to match windows 8's aero glass view with as of windows 7. Got some really cool themes. For starters that was enough, right?  But here starts my head ache. Aeroglass 8.1 works perfectly, I even took a few atlas images from a great post on this website. They were awesome. But the problem is that these Themes won't work. When I apply them all the caption buttons appear on the titlebar in distorted shapes. Some themes won't even show any caption buttons. Everything else is finr. The buttons, sounds and all. I'm pretty sure that I've done everything as it was said in many websites on the internet. Like..

1) www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/

2) www.blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7 

Along with a few videos on YouTube. And it worked for almost everyone but me! :realmad:

I run a Windows 8.1 64 bit, with 1 GB VRAM and a CORE i5 processor on a laptop. I've done all the patching while connected to a  power source and on High performance. 

So, I'd be really grateful if someone helps me out with this. 

Regards.

Welcome to MSFN!

I know next to nothing about theming, and have never used Win8.x+, but from what I have read, one thing you need to keep in mind is that you can't always mix and match stuff.  For example, if you use one of NoelC's wonderful theme atlas images i think they will only work with the a very, very few themes.  I have now exhausted my entire store of information about theming, :) so I'll let someone else with more knowledge respond further.  Good luck!

Cheers and Regards

Don't worry, I believe you can get there from here.

I suggest abandoning the traditional theme patchers and try using Big Muscle's UxThemeSignatureBypass DLL set.

It's what I use, along with his Aero Glass for Win 8 package.  I re-theme with DaMonkeyOnCrack's Aero7 v2 package and my own theme atlas (window chrome graphics replacement) to achieve this:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win81/ThemedDesktop.png

It not only looks great but it runs forever without fault.  I've written some stuff up about it here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173976-craving-an-updated-ui-experience-re-skin-windows-81/

A key difference between Big Muscle's software and the "traditional" theme patchers is that his UxThemeSignatureBypass method doesn't change any of your system files on disk, but rather patches them at run time.  Thus your system can be bone stock, take updates, and pass an SFC check - and UxThemeSignatureBypass just continues to work.

First, can you get your system back to where it passes an SFC check?

SystemIntegrity.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Fair enough.  Some time ago, before I found Big Muscle's software, I looked at the theme replacement facilitators, and at that time what I found broke system integrity.

-Noel

Not over, just more hassle. And more like, started rather than over. I never felt the need to change themes before Win8. :)

Edited by shae

Likewise.  But we are a minority, and paddling against the current will get to be tiring.  Note that Microsoft tends to return things back to "out of box" settings when they install updates in Win 10.  I'm sticking with my (nicely tweaked) 8.1 for now.

-Noel

No immediate plans here to use Win10, even if it were perfect in terms of compatibility and UI and bugs. Transitioning a computer to a new OS is something I'll go through only if I must. It may be the thing I hate most in computing.

• 2 years later...
On 7/21/2015 at 4:35 PM, Stormbringer CX said:

Hello there! This is my FIRST post. 

Sub: Can't get 3rd party themes installed, no matter what!!? :}

I've used Windows XP, Vista and Seven in the past, patched a lot of features(yeah, messed up a few times) and protected system files to enable different features. So patching 'uxtheme.dll' and files related to it wasn't that hard on XP, Vista and Seven.

But Windows 8.1 is making me feel totally sick. I mean, I've tried using 'Uxstyle' and 'UltraUxThemePatcher' separately on different occasions. I got Aeroglass 8.1 installed. Used the Registry tweaks given here (in their download) [http://xxinightxxcreative.weebly.com/free-windows-aero.html]to match windows 8's aero glass view with as of windows 7. Got some really cool themes. For starters that was enough, right?  But here starts my head ache. Aeroglass 8.1 works perfectly, I even took a few atlas images from a great post on this website. They were awesome. But the problem is that these Themes won't work. When I apply them all the caption buttons appear on the titlebar in distorted shapes. Some themes won't even show any caption buttons. Everything else is finr. The buttons, sounds and all. I'm pretty sure that I've done everything as it was said in many websites on the internet. Like..

1) www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/

2) www.blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7 

Along with a few videos on YouTube. And it worked for almost everyone but me! :realmad:

I run a Windows 8.1 64 bit, with 1 GB VRAM and a CORE i5 processor on a laptop. I've done all the patching while connected to a  power source and on High performance. 

So, I'd be really grateful if someone helps me out with this. 

Regards.

I've really held off upgrading to windows 10 because i got so comfortable with my windows and it's so bomb...windows 10  interface is not all that friendly to me. However, for this theme reason i've been thinking of jumping ship and i'm wondering if the grass is greener on the other side or will i just upgrade to bigger problems.