Pros and Cons - Tonight Show Style

NoelC

Pro: Windows is now similar to my cell phone. I can run apps and search through simplified menus.

Con: I don't want my computer to be my cell phone.

I have not been able play with W10 much yet due to compatibility issues, but what little I have seen reminds me of my old smart phone. I have been having lots of trouble finding things because they have been moved into the "metro-ish" black hole.

Pro:  Having to find everything over and over again keeps your mind young and limber.

Con:  Having to find everything over and over again focuses you on using Windows instead of using your mind to get your work done.

And we know it's all about focusing on Windows itself.

I'm sure the parents of the children now working at Microsoft are so proud.

microsoft-displays-windows-10-banners-al

-Noel

Also, some claim DirectX 12 will make gaming better.  I'm no expert on that.

The only thing that's really not an incremental improvement would probably be the apparent ability to stack VRAM.

Example: You have GTX 980 Ti's in SLI. Normally the machine only sees 6 GB of VRAM because each card is using its own VRAM. However, with DX12 this would become 12 GB of VRAM... apparently.

DX12 definitely has the potential to make gaming on PC better, because of the ability to use two different GPUs. Most PCs/laptops have an integrated GPU that remains unused during gaming, if a discrete video card (Nvidia/ATI etc) is present. With DX12, some of the rendering, post processing etc can be offloaded to the integrated (Intel/AMD) GPU. That not only means slightly better video processing power, but also more video RAM, since the integrated GPU can use a lot of system RAM for video. So even if the integrated GPU is only 10% as powerful as the dedicated one, there would still be a significant improvement. BTW, integrated GPUs are getting really good these days, especially on Haswell and above.