Pros and Cons - Tonight Show Style

NoelC

Jimmy Fallon has a segment on the Tonight Show from time to time here where he enumerates Pros and Cons of things.  I think this could be a good way to List what people find good or bad about Windows 10.

Pro:  New Modern Apps that can now run in a Window.  Sometimes two or more at a time.

Con:  So far there are virtually none that aren't already done better on the web.

Pro:  Simple interfaces, big fonts, less thinking.

Con:  Was something wrong with thinking?

Pro:  Faster bootup.

Con:  When you measure it against an older OS doing a hibernate on the same hardware, it's not.

Pro:  Supposedly faster reboot.

Con:  Not really, but now we have a greater need for rebooting - at least for a while until it's stabilized.

Pro:  It has a resurrected Start Menu.

Con:  Classic Shell is still quite a bit better.

Pro:  Touch / tablet capability.

Con:  A lot of folks think Win 8 did that better.

Pro:  Tiles.

Con:  We used to call them "Ads".

Pro:  Office 365 now fits in and matches Windows look and feel.

Con:  They did this by making Windows look like Office.  Did ANYONE actually LIKE Office 365?

Pro:  Free upgrade!

Con:  Pay later when you suffer through ads, and ultimately have your personal data taken.

Pro:  Better gaming.

Con:  Did the world need more distraction from being productive?

Pro:  Win 10 has a sleek, modern, no-nonsense look with square-cornered controls.

Con:  Visual styles improved usability.  Usability is better than fashionable.  It's an OS, not a dress!

Pro:  Simple, no-options Windows Update - always be up to date!

Con:  Microsoft would never release a bum update, would they?

I encourage you to add your own Pros, Cons...  Slant them any way you like.  Hater, Skeptic, Wishy Washy, Afficionado, Rabid Fanboy.  All are welcome here.

:angel

-Noel

I wrote that because the one and only benchmark measurement on my dual-boot hardware system where I found Windows 10 faster at something than Windows 7 was in the 3D rendering benchmarks.

But... Scratch that.  I just ran it again with build 10240.  The 3D graphics mark is now the same between Win 7 and Win 10, and the 2D graphics mark is much better on Win 7.

Also, some claim DirectX 12 will make gaming better.  I'm no expert on that.

-Noel

Pro:  Win 10 has a sleek, modern, no-nonsense look with square-cornered controls.

Con:  Visual styles improved usability.  Usability is better than fashionable.  It's an OS, not a dress!

Actually it's mind-boggling to me that anybody could think (and some really do) that the Win10 look is somehow more esthetic than that of Vista/7. When I open the new PC Settings, I feel like I've walked into a warehouse with gray floors and metal mesh shelves.

Incidentally, I wanted to contribute some pro-con so as to participate in this thread's purpose, but I couldn't find anything "pro" to say about Windows 10. :angel

--JorgeA

Pro:  You can mount an ISO directly.

Con:  That's not new in Win 10, but no one has it because Win 8 flopped.

Pro:  Task manager is redesigned.

Con:  That's not new in Win 10 either, but...

Pro:  Continuing this sequence, the few things new in Win 8 will be new to those who consider upgrading from Win 7 to 10.

Con:  Those same people chose not to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8, so...

-Noel

The only thing that's really not an incremental improvement would probably be the apparent ability to stack VRAM.

Example: You have GTX 980 Ti's in SLI. Normally the machine only sees 6 GB of VRAM because each card is using its own VRAM. However, with DX12 this would become 12 GB of VRAM... apparently.

Pro:  Boots faster than Win 7, 8.1.

Cons: 

Cortana

Edge

IE

Ad Supported

User Tracking by MSFT

Loss of 7, 8.1 license when upgrading

Wireless Connectivity issues

Slow, been proven by real world tests.

Having to use third party tool for basic tasks and usage when they could be supplied with OS

No Windows Media Center

No real Start Menu

Metro

Apps

The most important:  Inability to refuse any update except Enterprise.  We know the track record on this!

Much More.....

You will have to convince me to switch, I will wait for a year and see what happens.  I have at least have Win 7.......

Pro:  You can mount an ISO directly.

Con:  That's not new in Win 10, but no one has it because Win 8 flopped.

Corollary:

Because the usefulness of mounting a .iso is not anything new, anyone in his/her right mind has used good ol' MS's own virtual CD driver Control Panel:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38780

since the early 2000's, or used other third part utilities/driver that allow what you call "directly" mounting much in the same way Windows 8 can, so, no, nothing particularly Pro or Con.

However this is a good example of how MS misinformation works, the driver has been available since the dawn of times, and notwithstanding from the above article it seems like a new release dated 2013:

Version: 2.0.1.1

File Name: winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe

Date Published: 4/23/2013

Supported Operating System:

Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7; Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2008 R2

the files inside the SFX are dated 2001 and the readme is from 2003, citing obviously only XP as "System Requirement", since:

THIS TOOL IS UNSUPPORT (sic) BY MICROSOFT PRODUCT SUPPORT SERVICES

jaclaz

The only thing that's really not an incremental improvement would probably be the apparent ability to stack VRAM.

Example: You have GTX 980 Ti's in SLI. Normally the machine only sees 6 GB of VRAM because each card is using its own VRAM. However, with DX12 this would become 12 GB of VRAM... apparently.

DirectX 12 will add new capabilities that game developers can make use of to make graphics "better" however it is MS who restricts which OS can use DX12. So yes you can potentially get better graphics in Windows 10. The same was true of how Oblivion had better graphics on Vista than it did on XP but that was only because DX10 was only available on Vista.

It is a way for MS to force gamers to use the newest OS if they really want to play some new game.

It is a way for MS to force gamers to use the newest OS if they really want to play some new game.

Wonder how many of them follow Microsoft around like puppies and install whatever their masters tell them, just so they can get their newest morsel.

--JorgeA

Wonder how many of them follow Microsoft around like puppies and install whatever their masters tell them, just so they can get their newest morsel.

Well, to be fair with gamers, they don't actually care if the *whatever* thingy runs Windows 3.1 or 10 or Direct X 9, 10, 11 or 12, what they want is just "more", more power, more speed and more frames per second (plenty of fps', more, please).

The whole stuff is actually determined by video card makers (please do read as nVidia and ATI/AMD, besides Intel of course) and by video games makers, the gamers are only the customers (please read as victims) of this situation, they would buy anything that delivers "more" (power, speed, fps), just like gambling can be (often is) addictive, all the good guys I ever met (that can be considered or are "gamers") have a thirst for speed and fps that they have to quench at all costs.

jaclaz

Hmmm, so these gamers' monomaniacal focus on speed at any cost will end up aiding Microsoft's efforts to foist Windows 10 on the public.

"Thanks," people.

--JorgeA

Well, to be fair the gamers fund some incredible development.

You wouldn't have teraflop power in your computer if bizillions of people weren't seeking more, more, MORE FPS and willing to pay top dollar for it.

I sit here with a few years old GPU (ATI 7850) that only cost a couple hundred dollars and does instantaneous things across my 3 big monitors.  I crave very little in terms of desktop performance because of these puppies, so I can't complain too loudly.

Thanks, gamers!

-Noel

By the way, to keep on topic:

Pro:  Continuous updates!  Latest new features delivered to you before you know you want them!

Con:  No stable environment to develop for.  The world NEEDS its OS to remain stable for a few years at a time, and if it's stable for a few DECADES at a time great things happen (which is why we use and like Windows today).

-Noel