NVidia Video Driver Shutdown Fix

rloew

Of course manual setting will be available, no doubt about that. But good software comes with best defaults and that's what I'm trying to accomplish. ;)

I mean, whoever dares not tamper with the registry may as well have no idea what values to try and when there's no optimized defaults wrong choice can lead to shutdown hang, corrupt files due to incomplete cache flush and who-knows-what other issues.

Therefore I'm trying to always find the best default value for the current system the patcher would be run on. Further tweaking will be users' responsibility.

O.K., the shutdown issue returned even with IFSMGR.VXD v4.10.2225 and CACHEWRITEDELAY=4000 so I think it is safe to say that the problems in this system are not hardware/driver/settings releated but are caused by something else!!

I think/hope that I now know what it is but this would be off-topic. I may start a new thread later on after more tests.

Thank you all for the great feedback !!!

• 4 weeks later...

No new thread necessary because it was only caused by, maybe corrupted, files left in the Win-Temp folder.

After putting a small script in autoexec.bat which deletes all files in the temp folder during boot my shutdown problems are history.

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2015 at 5:07 PM, Drugwash said:

Great, so no new options in the patcher! I was too lazy to do it anyway. :P:D

Glad you sorted out the issue. ;)

Any chance a fix/patch so Windows 98 SE can reboot into MS-DOS mode as well? The shutdown method 3 (Full (C)) in your patcher worked great for me, but trying to reboot into MS-DOS mode from the Win 98 SE shutdown menu also results in a hung black screen. I use a PIF file to get around it, but it would be nice if the shutdown menu option worked as well. Either way a super belated thank you for the patcher! My vintage Gateway 450 now shuts down and powers off properly.

Edited by LiqMat

• 1 month later...

Hello, im using last version of patch and Rloew Nvsize patched 82.69 and when im trying to apply patch, im getting error: There is not enough space to apply patch.

Is there some solution?

I already told you that the Shutdown Patch was already incorporated in my larger NVSIZE Patch. You are trying to apply my Shutdown Patch a second time.

Drugwash's Patcher added a one Byte flag to my Patch Code. With the other Patches my Patch was an exact fit. There was no room to add the flag to tell his Patcher that it was already Patched.

2 hours ago, ruthan said:

Hello, im using last version of patch and Rloew Nvsize patched 82.69 and when im trying to apply patch, im getting error: There is not enough space to apply patch.

Is there some solution?

24 minutes ago, rloew said:

I already told you that the Shutdown Patch was already incorporated in my larger NVSIZE Patch. You are trying to apply my Shutdown Patch a second time.

Drugwash's Patcher added a one Byte flag to my Patch Code. With the other Patches my Patch was an exact fit. There was no room to add the flag to tell his Patcher that it was already Patched.

I may be the source of this confusion. I thought the Shutdown Patch still had to be applied manually and said that somewhere. :blushing:

It may have been during our experiments, but I put it in before I released the Package.

The 82.69 was an exact fit. I could not include Drugwash's flag Byte so I put it in myself rather than forcing people to Hex Edit it in.

Well - my machine still hang at shutdown, i  dunno i if is Nvidia related (maybe i dont have proper component in device manager for atx shutdown, but reset is working), that one thing.  There are lots of version of shutdown patch in this thread, so perhaps i expected that new version coud be better. Im not missed some note there is nothing about version of patch in your Nvsize patch..

Last thing is error message, this are exactly things which i hate, to be honest, not proper error exception handling, stone age programming, i should got patch already applied or similar message.. Its same like command line utility without any echo, if is successful..

Edited by ruthan

• 1 year later...

Hi,

The links to the patcher are dead, and it looks like it's been over a year since Drugwash visited here.  Is there anyplace to get the latest version of the Shutdown Patcher?  I don't have any nVidia cards with more than 256MB.

Thanks,

DJ

• 1 year later...

I would just like to thank you for this wonderful patch for my 7800GS, im running windows98SE on a msi neo2 platinum, it works great!

Also saddened to hear of mr loew's passing, that guy was a wizard.