NVidia Video Driver Shutdown Fix

rloew

This should not happen. :( There is an entry in the ini file for this selection and there is also a failsafe in the code in case that ini entry is missing.

Have you changed any values in the ini file before running the patcher for the first time?

Can you confirm there is the entry CodeType=1 in the Preferences section of the original ini?

Did you launch the patcher first time with the original ini present in its folder?

The only way this could happen would be for the ini entry to contain a value out of range (1-4). Unless ME is somehow behaving strangely when reading from ini, but I doubt that.

Before running the CodeType entry is 1.  

I repeated the first start without patching several times. Sometimes the box was empty (the scroll down menu shows all modes), but sometimes there was "safe" inside. Odd

I'll look into that, trying to reproduce. Maybe your sistem is too fast (or too slow?). Al I got here is a 667MHz PIII (my main 98SE machine) and a 1.8GHz P4 (XP). The other 98SE testing machine is similar to the P4 one. No WinME unfortunately. But will see what can be done. Thanks again.

OK, "wide" and "full" works. ME users should see, that they must select these options. Obviously the "safe mode" is the default one, if you don't select "code type" (empty box).

The two message Patch "safe mode" works for me in Windows ME. You, like Miki, need the 25h Patch as well. I put all three in Post #1 to cover everybody.

That is why there are choices: one doesn't work - try the next. WinME has only two code versions anyway so either 'Wide' or 'Full' (which are identical) should do the job if 'Safe' doesn't. :)

Now there's a new version:

v1.4.6.0
- Added automatic ability to overpatch a file already patched by this patcher (NOT THOROUGHLY TESTED!)
- Added automatic choice of last selected OS version (only when run under NT-based systems)
- Fixed random empty code type selection (reported by schwups)
- GUI improvements to eliminate confusion about utility of 'code type' selector
- Minor code improvements

Basically this version makes it even easier: try 'Safe' patch; if it doesn't work, choose 'Wide' and patch over, without the need to unpatch first. If it still doesn't work, choose 'Full', patch again and if that still won't work then it's time for Mr. Loew to find a fourth message to bypass. :D Well, hopefully that won't be the case. ;)

No Win95 or 98Gold testers yet? I'm so sad… Anyway, enjoy! :)

I know it's irrelevant... but, just out of curiosity, may I ask what each of these 3 messages signal?

Beats me. Mr. Loew, you got the floor. :)

Edited by Drugwash

That is why there are choices: one doesn't work - try the next. WinME has only two code versions anyway so either 'Wide' or 'Full' (which are identical) should do the job if 'Safe' doesn't. :)

Now there's a new version:

v1.4.6.0

- Added automatic ability to overpatch a file already patched by this patcher (NOT THOROUGHLY TESTED!)

- Added automatic choice of last selected OS version (only when run under NT-based systems)

- Fixed random empty code type selection (reported by schwups)

- Minor code improvements

Basically this version makes it even easier: try 'Safe' patch; if it doesn't work, choose 'Wide' and patch over, without the need to unpatch first. If it still doesn't work, choose 'Full', patch again and if that still won't work then it's time for Mr. Loew to find a fourth message to bypass. :D Well, hopefully that won't be the case. ;)

No Win95 or 98Gold testers yet? I'm so sad… Anyway, enjoy! :)

I know it's irrelevant... but, just out of curiosity, may I ask what each of these 3 messages signal?

Beats me. Mr. Loew, you got the floor. :)

when you say win95, does that mean forceware 82.69 / 82.16 may work on windows 95, but may not support geforce 7000 series gpu? or is it meant to only correct shutdown problems with official driver releases such as the 81.98 forceware? not that you would need anything better than like a fx 5200 on windows 95 lol. the best games i have researched only recommend 32 MB graphics cards with dx8.0a, so a 64 MB video card on windows 95 would be good enough for most things. which brings up a question, does anyone know any games that recommend 64 MB of video memory on windows 95? 

Message 4 is "System VM Terminated".

Message 25h is "System Exit 2". The second reverse order pass of "System Exit".

Message 32h is "Kernel32 Shutdown"

It has not been tested with Windows 98FE or Windows 95.

Version 81.98: (Revised 07/29)

144: 24 -> 3B

31F35E: 9E 55 E5 FF -> C2 05 00 00

31F924: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 -> 3C 04 74 08 3C 25 74 04 3C 32 75 02 B0 52 89 44 24 04 E9 C5 4F E5 FF

Message 4 is "System VM Terminated".

Message 25h is "System Exit 2". The second reverse order pass of "System Exit".

Message 32h is "Kernel32 Shutdown"

Tested and verified this works with Windows 95C and the 81.98 driver. Not tested other versions yet.

Windows 95 requires both Messages 4 and 32 like Windows ME in order to Shut Down properly. Message 32 by itself will prevent SCANDISK being triggered by having to manually power off or reset.

when you say win95, does that mean forceware 82.69 / 82.16 may work on windows 95, but may not support geforce 7000 series gpu? or is it meant to only correct shutdown problems with official driver releases such as the 81.98 forceware? not that you would need anything better than like a fx 5200 on windows 95 lol. the best games i have researched only recommend 32 MB graphics cards with dx8.0a, so a 64 MB video card on windows 95 would be good enough for most things. which brings up a question, does anyone know any games that recommend 64 MB of video memory on windows 95? 

When I say Win95 I mean people that have access to different Win95 flavors and want to try 8x.xx drivers and series 6/7  NVIDIA cards may need this patch and we're waiting for reports whether there is a need for the patch and which OS version/driver/card/patch combination they work on.

So far there's only LoneCrusader's feedback below, using Win95C and driver 81.98. However I got feedback that the patcher doesn't work correctly under Win95. I'm guessing a few APIs may be missing so now I'm going through the code trying to find alternatives that should work under Win95 too. Therefore testing the patcher under Win95 should be put on hold for a little while until I come up with a proper version. However, manually testing different versions of the code under Win95 would be very useful.

Tested and verified this works with Windows 95C and the 81.98 driver. Not tested other versions yet.

Windows 95 requires both Messages 4 and 32 like Windows ME in order to Shut Down properly. Message 32 by itself will prevent SCANDISK being triggered by having to manually power off or reset.

Thank you for testing the code under Win95, now we have at least one marker as to what code should be used for those systems. The code you found will be added to the ini for the next version of the patcher. :)

v1.4.6.0
- Fixed random empty code type selection under Windows ME

"Random empty code type selection under Windows ME" =>It hasn't occured anymore (tested with 82.16 and 82.69). Where exactly was the problem?: 

Maybe your system is too fast (or too slow?)

"GUI improvements ..." => much better

v1.5.1.0:

Fixed wrong code sequences in the ini file for WinME (bug carried on since v1.4.4.0)... => Now Win ME shuts down with safe (a) code, too (tested with 82.16 and 82.69) .

Edited by schwups

Thank your for continued testing and feedback!

Problem with empty selection is yet a mystery - either a bug in the AHK interpretor or a misunderstanding of the behavior on my part. Thing is, if the corresponding entry in the ini is blank, the default value that should be automatically substituted by the script doesn't kick in. So I have to double-check if the entry is empty and force a default value again. Plus the usage of a variable that was reinitialized after being set. No big deal but still disturbing as I know it used to work.

Version 1.5.1.0 was not announced due to a few display issues under Win95 which I'm trying to solve at the moment. Everything should work fine under 98 and later though. Sorry for the ME bug, it was a tiny but critical overlook when copy/pasting code between sections. Glad it works for you now. :)

A new version will be announced as soon as I sort these 95-related problems out.

There's a new version up: 1.5.2.1.

Hopefully the logo color issue in Win95 is fixed and now there's a safety net for systems that don't have Tahoma installed (does anyone know other free font that looks legible at 6-7pt?)

No changes to the patch code since 1.5.1.0.

Some improvements in OS version/type detection and automatic selection.

Minor improvements to main GUI information text, Win95 version range and system path.

Enjoy! :)

Edited by Drugwash

@ RLoew. After a few days of use in one of my systems (P4, ICH5, GeForce 6600 GT) the shutdown problem came back with the ME-extended code !

So on Monday I reverted back to the code of posting 44 and the system did perfectly shut down every time since then.

I have not changed/replaced any hardware in this machine.

The new code works fine in my other, older PC (AMD, VIA, 6200).  Weird .....