Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 1)

dencorso

Stable Flash Player version 25.0.0.148 has been released (Patch Tuesday). Surprisingly it is 25.0.0.148, not the 25.0.0.152 as in the beta version.

Internet Explorer: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/25.0.0.148/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Firefox: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/25.0.0.148/install_flash_player.exe

Chrome: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/25.0.0.148/install_flash_player_ppapi.exe

fpie25x148.jpg

fpff25x148.jpg

fpgc25x148.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Along the way I have continued to update Google Chrome Portable using the latest Beta version of Adobe Flash, as described earlier in this thread, without problems.

However, today’s Beta release 26.0.0.89 did not work.

3 hours ago, bluebolt said:

Along the way I have continued to update Google Chrome Portable using the latest Beta version of Adobe Flash, as described earlier in this thread, without problems.

However, today’s Beta release 26.0.0.89 did not work.

Preliminary testing seems to indicate an issue with the PepperFlash beta, it may be fixed in the final non-beta release. The IE and Firefox plugins work fine, even on Windows 2000.

fpbie26x89.jpg

fpbff26x89.jpg

I have confirmed that removing the beta 26.0.0.89 pepflashplayer.dl and replacing it with ANY previous version (such as the original 21.0.0.213 that Chrome 49.0.2623.112 m shipped with in April 2016), restores Flash functionality to Chrome. I suspect that this is a temporary beta bug that will be resolved in the final release.

Windows XP is a supported operating system for Adobe Flash Player 26, and Adobe has not announced plans to drop it: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html

7 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Since the test on the beta pepflashplayer 26.0.0.89 was negative, I recommend that the next pepflashplayer release update should be installed after a successful test in this topic.

:)

The next release of Flash Player 26.x.x.xxx will be Patch Tuesday, which is May 9. I will then test if the compatibility issue existing in the beta was fixed. If not I will open a bug report with Adobe.

I seem to remember that this has happened before, probably towards the end of last year, where there were a couple of versions of the PPAPI plugin actually released that did not work properly, even in some current versions of Chromium-based browsers.
It's probably a regression that's slipped in, and this time it hopefully will be addressed before the release.

@sdfox7

Regarding your message with Adobe, the PPAPI Flashplayer version 26.0.0.89 also does not work with Opera version 36.0.2130.65 and 36.0.2130.80 (same error message as with Google Chrome). Because of the fact that Google Chrome's Flashplayer is delivered from Google, then immediately argue with Opera.

Edited by heinoganda

21 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

@sdfox7

Regarding your message with Adobe, the PPAPI Flashplayer version 26.0.0.89 also does not work with Opera version 36.0.2130.65 and 36.0.2130.80 (same error message as with Google Chrome). Because of the fact that Google Chrome's Flashplayer is delivered from Google, then immediately argue with Opera.

This bug occurred last year with PepperFlash, and an Adobe employee recognized it as such, a "bug".

XP/Vista: Flash PPAPI plugin 23.0.0.162 doesn't work in Opera and Chromium

5 minutes ago, sdfox7 said:

This bug occurred last year with PepperFlash, and an Adobe employee recognized it as such, a "bug".

This is known to me, because of the first response of your error message to Adobe, I thought that you can counter-argue with Opera. Officially the PPAPI Flashplayer from Adobe is for Chromium based webbrowser, except the exception of Google Chrome, therefore also my intention to refer to Opera.

21 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

This is known to me, because of the first response of your error message to Adobe, I thought that you can counter-argue with Opera. Officially the PPAPI Flashplayer from Adobe is for Chromium based webbrowser, except the exception of Google Chrome, therefore also my intention to refer to Opera.

Also does not work with SlimJet, just tested. It's clearly a PepperFlash problem, AKA an Adobe problem, not limited to just Chrome. It doesn't work on any Chromium-based browser.

@sdfox7

A strange observation: chrome://plugins reports the original version number of PepperFlash that shipped with Chrome 49 (21.0.0.213) even though the Adobe test page shows that 25.0.0.148 is indeed installed.

Installing the 26.0.0.89 version does not change the version number reported in chrome://flags, it still reports 21.0.0.213.

If the PPAPI Flashplayer is updated according to this comment, it will be displayed correctly for the plugins as well.

flplugin3gyqcz6nlh.jpg

Edited by heinoganda

32 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

@sdfox7

If the PPAPI Flashplayer is updated according to this manual, it will be displayed correctly for the plugins as well.

flplugin3gyqcz6nlh.jpg

Heinoganda

I can see you've been tracking the discussion over on the Adobe forums. Yes, I discovered that later in the discussion.

However, simply renaming the beta 26 file to pepflashplayer.dll is not allowing the plugin to function. It normally does, and always has.

One of the Adobe staff will access to an XP machine tomorrow, according to his reply.

22 minutes ago, sdfox7 said:

However, simply renaming the beta 26 file to pepflashplayer.dll is not allowing the plugin to function.

Then the PPAPI Flashplayer v26.0.0.89 would have to work with other Chromium-based browsers (Opera, SlimJet), which is not the case.