Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 1)

dencorso

The main reason I abandoned it was that it crashed constantly on YouTube, and when playing Facebook videos.
As long as you just let the video play in real time it was fine, but as soon as you tried to scrub the video using the seek bar, or jump to a later point, the plugin immediately crashed all the time, on Opera and Slimjet.
I have a script running in Tampermonkey on Slimjet to force YouTube to use the Flash Player instead of the HTML5 Player, as it serves many videos at only 360p otherwise because of the lack of codecs in Windows XP, and Opera and Slimjet both rely on the OS to provide them.
Google Chrome does not have this problem as it includes the codecs.
I will give it another try, but I had no luck resolving this before.
:no:

@Dave-H

Very strange behavior, these problems I have not, can jump at Youtube easily at another time. I have tried various flash games, can not provoke any crashes.

BTW, Firefox works in HTML5 (Full HD with h264) wonderfully, there is a thread in this forum for guidance about it.

:)

I'm now trying to see if I can get Flash 23 to work in Google Chrome.
My PepperFlash files are actually in D:\Users\Dave\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\22.0.0.209 (my Windows XP installation is on drive D: not C:).
I tried substituting the Flash 22 files for the Flash 23 versions, but Chrome still says it's using Flash 22 unless I change the folder name from "22.0.0.209" to "23.0.0.185", which is bizarre!
Even when it then correctly recognises it as being Flash 23, it still doesn't work.
It either says the Flash Player isn't installed on some sites, or say it can't load the plugin on others.
Very odd!
:unsure:

11 hours ago, heinoganda said:

First, install "install_flash_player_23_ppapi.exe", then copy the "pepflashplayer32_23_0_0_185.dll" and "manifest.json" files from "%windir%\system32\Macromed\Flash" to "%ProgramFiles%\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash". Finally, delete the existing file "pepflashplayer.dll" and rename the file "pepflashplayer32_23_0_0_185.dll" to "pepflashplayer.dll". For me the version 23.0.0.185 works so far.

I adapted your approach to Google Chrome Portable, and it worked.

I have Chrome (full version) on another machine, so I copied pepflashplayer 32_23_0_0_185.dll from that installation, renamed it pepflashplayer.dll, and swapped it into Chrome Portable 49.0.2623.112, as before, in the two places indicated here (as usual I did nothing with manifest.json):

• GoogleChromePortable\App\Chrome-bin\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash
  • GoogleChromePortable\Data\profile\PepperFlash

The Flash site confirms 23.0.0.185 installed.  Thank you for the information.

Edited by bluebolt

2 hours ago, bluebolt said:

I adapted your approach to Google Chrome Portable, and it worked.

I have Chrome (full version) on another machine, so I copied pepflashplayer 32_23_0_0_185.dll from that installation, renamed it pepflashplayer.dll, and swapped it into Chrome Portable 49.0.2623.112, as before, in the two places indicated here (as usual I did nothing with manifest.json):

• GoogleChromePortable\App\Chrome-bin\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash
  • GoogleChromePortable\Data\profile\PepperFlash

The Flash site confirms 23.0.0.185 installed.  Thank you for the information.

Seems like a bunch of hoops to jump through, when Adobe/Google should simply write the code correctly. Non-technical people will be stuck on 22x209 unless the problem is fixed in the future.

Does this new version of Java work OK for anyone else on XP?
It doesn't seem to for me. It installs fine, the only difference I noticed is that it now won't install into a folder that's not empty, which it would before if you specified a non-default folder, but it won't work for me in any browser.
I just get "detecting Java" on the Oracle test pages and that's it, it never seems to go any further, and I've tried a few other test pages and it ends up locking up the browser.
Anyone actually got it working?

Only certified pages where Oracle (Certificate) has been released work. This page (with Google Chrome 44.0.2403.130) should work, as well as for me the JDownloader. Tested with the current Java release.

Edited by heinoganda

Well I finally got it working!
It appears that it didn't like the custom path I was using for the installation.
It worked fine if I installed into the default path, and indeed it seemed every other path I tried, except the one I usually use!
I think it was something to do with the fact that I'd moved the cache into there, and it finally came good when I manually deleted all the user files relating to it, losing all my settings, and started completely from scratch.
It does seem to be fussier about the install location now, although it does still allow you to change it, like the fact that it won't now install into a folder that's not empty, as I mentioned before, which it always used to with no problem.
All seems OK now though thanks, I just hope I won't have to go through this every time I update, it used to be really straightforward!

@dencorso

Running Java on web pages was very limited by Oracle. The error message I get to see IE8.

@all

Flash Player Version 23.0.0.205 has been released!

The Internet Explorer ActiveX plugin is available here: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/23.0.0.205/install_flash_player_ax.exe
The NPAPI for Firefox is available here: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/23.0.0.205/install_flash_player.exe

Currently, the Flash Player for Opera or Chromium (install_flash_player ppapi.exe) version v23.0.0.205 can be used!
Tested with Google Chrome v49.0.2623.112.

Edited by heinoganda

• 2 weeks later...

Flash Player Version 23.0.0.207 has been released! (Although not brand new update, better now than never! :rolleyes:)

The Internet Explorer ActiveX plugin is available here: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/23.0.0.207/install_flash_player_ax.exe
The NPAPI for Firefox is available here: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/23.0.0.207/install_flash_player.exe

Currently, the Flash Player for Opera or Chromium (install_flash_player ppapi.exe) version v23.0.0.207 can be used!

Update 12/16/2016

Flash Player Version 24.0.0.186 has been released!

The Internet Explorer ActiveX plugin is available here: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/24.0.0.186/install_flash_player_ax.exe
The NPAPI for Firefox is available here: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/24.0.0.186/install_flash_player.exe

Currently, the Flash Player for Opera or Chromium (install_flash_player ppapi.exe) version v24.0.0.186 can be used!

Edited by heinoganda