Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 1)

dencorso

3 hours ago, dencorso said:

So you've activated it and it's now working, or did it refuse to acknowledge activation?  :unsure:

It is activated and working. I believe I disabled it at one time to force Firefox to use HTML5.

On 9/15/2016 at 6:35 PM, bluebolt said:

Google Chrome Portable Version 53.0.2785.116 was released today, and it includes the new pepperflash 23.0.0.162; so, as usual, I swapped it for previous 22.0.0.209 in Chrome Portable Version 49.0.2623.112.  Unfortunately, the Flash site was then unable to detect the plug-in, so I’m back to 22.0.0.209.

I also noticed that neither the Beta nor Dev Portable versions appear to have a pepperflash component at all.

Just wanted to note that on Google Groups, Anthony Laforge has posted that Chrome 49 is being blocked from further Flash updates due to an "incompatibility": https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/chrome/Wxv-K1nnztk/dtd6xkzHAgAJ

I'm not really sure he means. The ActiveX and Firefox/Opera plugins of Flash 23 work correctly, so I'm not sure what would keep the PepperFlash version from working.

Apparently blackwingcat has attempted a fix, but to no avail.  He posted on his blog that support has been cut for pre-Vista or Win 7 operating systems (not sure of the translation), either of which obviously rules out XP.

Edited by bluebolt

On 2016/9/19 at 2:40 AM, sdfox7 said:

It is activated and working. I believe I disabled it at one time to force Firefox to use HTML5.

Glad this got sorted pretty easily, I was afraid we're having yet another situation where something mysteriously works for one person but not for another with the same specs; those can be a real pain to sort out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

M-Vargas, STAFF at Adobe, says the bug has been assigned to a developer. As the ActiveX and NPAPI control still work, the recommendation is to use Firefox with the NPAPI control, or Internet Explorer with the ActiveX control.

Adobe has not dropped support for XP, so it is not an XP problem. Since the bug has been assigned to a developer at Adobe, it appears that Adobe supplies the pepflashplayer.dll to Google? You can continue to get the 22.0.0.209 from my FTP.

Re: Flash PPAPI plugin 23.0.0.162 doesn't work in Opera and Chromium

Seems to be a new Shockwave Player update released from the last one ... March 2016.

Shockwave Player  12.2.5.195

September 30, 2016

... I have a question about updating with a newer version of Shockwave Player. How do some of you install a newer version?

For years I have always used the Shockwave Player Uninstaller to remove the current version on my computer and everything connected with that version that may be in various areas on the computer ... then I install the new version.

Do some of you just install a new version over the older version without cleaning or removing the older version?

TIA ...

Edited by monroe

OK ... from now on I will just install the new Shockwave Player version over the older version ... sure will be a lot easier than all the steps I have been doing.

Yes, I only use that link since you posted about it several months back ... but some newer readers may not know about it.

Update: Adobe Flash Player has been updated to 23.0.0.185 on October 11, 2016. You can read the security bulletin here: https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb16-32.html

The Internet Explorer ActiveX plugin is available here: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/23.0.0.185/install_flash_player_ax.exe

The NPAPI for Firefox is available here: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/23.0.0.185/install_flash_player.exe

Please note: The Internet Explorer plugin only appears to function under Internet Explorer Compatibility Mode. When I tested under regular browsing mode in Internet Explorer 8, the plugin did not execute.

fpie23x185.jpg

fpiecompmode23x185.jpg

On 10/13/2016 at 2:45 PM, heinoganda said:

Currently, the Flash Player for Opera or Chromium (install_flash_player ppapi.exe) version v23.0.0.185 can be reused!

Tested with Google Chrome v49.0.2623.112.

:)

Installing the above file did not change the installed version on my system. As I quoted above, Google has detected an incompatibility with the PPAPI Flash 23 and Chrome 49 and has blocked distribution. https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/chrome/Wxv-K1nnztk/dtd6xkzHAgAJ

af23ppapi.jpg

@sdfox7

First, install "install_flash_player_23_ppapi.exe", then copy the "pepflashplayer32_23_0_0_185.dll" and "manifest.json" files from "%windir%\system32\Macromed\Flash" to "%ProgramFiles%\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash". Finally, delete the existing file "pepflashplayer.dll" and rename the file "pepflashplayer32_23_0_0_185.dll" to "pepflashplayer.dll". For me the version 23.0.0.185 works so far.

Edited by heinoganda

The first version of the PPAPI Flash 23 plugin didn't work at all for me, as it didn't for anyone by all accounts!
I read this was fixed in 23.0.0.185, but when I installed it, although the plugin would now load, unlike its predecessor, it was really unstable, crashing all the time both in Opera 26 and Slimjet 10. I didn't try it in Google Chrome 49, as although I have it installed I don't actually use it.
I've gone back to 22.0.0.209 which works fine.

@Dave-H

Can not understand, especially since I have no crashes or other problems when I use the flash version 23.0.0.185 in Google Chrome. Where or on what websites did the problems occur?
Just have a test run with an even older version (
44.0.2403.130) of Google Chrome, works for me impeccably!? Thats funny!

Edited by heinoganda