Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

NoelC

Cat vs. Home Office Small Business Server

I put together a small business server system in my home office running on Win 7 x64 Ultimate (I had a license on hand not being used for anything else).  It's a nice little Dell PowerEdge T20 box, which is surprisingly capable given its low price.

I set the thing up with reliability in mind, using a RAID 5 array of SSDs, internal and external HDDs for backup, and a good austere software configuration doing regular snapshots and system image backups.  Powering the thing is a UPS that will keep it running for a while even in the absence of mains power.  The power backup extends to the network hardware it's connected to as well.

You'd think it would be a good and solid setup, and indeed it did run for weeks without trouble.

I thought I had thought of and planned for everything.  Then it went offline.

Turns out the UPS has a power button on top that's slightly recessed but not too hard to depress. 

UPSPowerButton.jpg

The family cat found the spot under the desk where there was a warm surface to sit on.

You can guess what happened.

No harm done, no corruption due to the unexpected power-down, and the UPS now has a nice new cover.

No cat was harmed in the making of this post.

SnowNose.jpg

-Noel

• Upvote 1

No cat was harmed in the making of this post.

SnowNose.jpg

-Noel

However, the cat in the picture, though surely unharmed, seems like not being particularly pleased/amused about the (even if only temporarily until the new cover was fitted) ban from the nice, cosy, warm place it found. :w00t:

jaclaz

:)

(from the linked article)

>I have tested this on 15.10 and cannot reproduce it.
What type of cat did you use? This may require a certain weight distribution and pawing behaviour to avoid keyboard buffer overflow.

:)

-Noel

Thought that was the new feline pc virus

Naaah, this is it, it actually almost undetectable:

funny-pictures-you-have-a-new-virus.jpg

;)

jaclaz

• Upvote 4

Here's mine. Told him not to chew on the power wires but… :whistle:

pict1272acs.jpg?w=600

Hahaha, don't worry, he's fine - was just sleeping like a lazy bastard that he is! :lol:

• Upvote 3