Cat vs. Home Office Small Business Server

NoelC

I put together a small business server system in my home office running on Win 7 x64 Ultimate (I had a license on hand not being used for anything else).  It's a nice little Dell PowerEdge T20 box, which is surprisingly capable given its low price.

I set the thing up with reliability in mind, using a RAID 5 array of SSDs, internal and external HDDs for backup, and a good austere software configuration doing regular snapshots and system image backups.  Powering the thing is a UPS that will keep it running for a while even in the absence of mains power.  The power backup extends to the network hardware it's connected to as well.

You'd think it would be a good and solid setup, and indeed it did run for weeks without trouble.

I thought I had thought of and planned for everything.  Then it went offline.

Turns out the UPS has a power button on top that's slightly recessed but not too hard to depress. 

UPSPowerButton.jpg

The family cat found the spot under the desk where there was a warm surface to sit on.

You can guess what happened.

No harm done, no corruption due to the unexpected power-down, and the UPS now has a nice new cover.

No cat was harmed in the making of this post.

SnowNose.jpg

-Noel

No cat was harmed in the making of this post.

SnowNose.jpg

-Noel

However, the cat in the picture, though surely unharmed, seems like not being particularly pleased/amused about the (even if only temporarily until the new cover was fitted) ban from the nice, cosy, warm place it found. :w00t:

jaclaz

• 3 months later...

:)

(from the linked article)

>I have tested this on 15.10 and cannot reproduce it.
What type of cat did you use? This may require a certain weight distribution and pawing behaviour to avoid keyboard buffer overflow.

:)

-Noel

• 1 month later...