Multiboot USB WindowsXP/7/SOME

Hi there,

I have a custom Windows7 image that is about 8GB in total and I have a Windows XP image that is 1.1gb.

My goal is to create a multi boot USB which will display my OS's and then some other utilities like SOME WAREZ/ Trinity rescue kit.

I've not yet managed to get this working. I have found some guides which i've followed using

WinSetupFromUSB-1-6 and Xboot neither have been successful.

WinSetupFromUSB-1-6 looked good but when I tested this in my test machine is just showed a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left. Xboot just gave me an error and never created the disk.

I've also tried rufus_v1.2.0.exe just to install my XPSP3 disk but when booting from USB it just fails and boots the installed version of windows from the HDD.

To test with I have a 2gb usb and a 64gb usb. I'd like if possible all my ISO's on the 64gb usb.

And if possble I'd put the XPSP3 install on the 2gb usb.

My 8gb w7 will need to be on a ntfs formatted disk and I'm suspecting all these boot utilities that im trying need a fat32 partition.

Can anyone give me some tips and let me know if what i'm trying to do is possible.

Thanks.

Edited by Tripredacus

From what you report you have a "generic" issue in booting from USB (which would be the first thing to check/fix).

Forget about Xboot, its Author was a victim of a road accident and the tool is not developed since his premature death. :(

Both WinSetupFromUSB and Rufus are actively maintained, both of them boot normally on - say - 99.99% of machines, and since they use different booting code/method it is "queer" that none works in your setup.

Forget (temporarily) about both mentioned tools and about your project involving windows 7 and XP and concentrate first on having a grub4dos booting from USB on your system, one way or the other.

Try using RMPREPUSB:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/home/quick-start-guide

You want to have NTFS and Boot as HDD C: 2Ptns selected than try any of:

WinPE V2 ... etc

XP Bartpe

and (this is the option that you essentially want to succeed with) try the "install grub4dos" button.

Once you have managed to setup it so that it boots to *something* be it grub4dos, NTLDR or BOOTMGR (i.e. you are past the "blinking cursor") will talk of the rest.

That "blinking" cursor is typical of a mismatch between CHS and LBA or of a wrong geometry in the standard NTFS bootsectors.

If you cannot manage to make the stupid sticks to boot, make a copy of both the MBR (first sector of the disk or \\.\Physical drive) and of the bootsector/PBR (first 16 sectors of the \\.\logical drive, i.e. what gets a drive letter in Windows), compress them in to a .zip archive and attach the archive to a post and I'll have a look at them.

Hdhacker is a suitable tool to make such backup copies:

http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

jaclaz

Hi there jaclaz,

Going from what you said I gave WinSetupFromUSB_1-6_x64 another try,

I chose the option to add my WinXPSP3.ISO and then, ticked Auto format it with FB and chose NTFS as the file system. I let it create the bootable USB again and tested with the same blinking cursor result.

When checking through the options i found that this utility has RMPprepUSB so i've followed your suggestions XP/BartPE, NTFS, Boot as HDD C: 2PTNS, then chose the grub4dos box and pressed ok to any popup notifications which followed.

When i tested again on my test machine I got passed the flashing cursor and got the grub4dos menu. This had the option to install Windows XP which I'm going through now. After XP is installed to my test computer. I'll have another go at making the multiboot usb WindowsXP/7/Warez :thumbup

The install..It all looked great, formatted disk, copied files, installed OS then the last reboot before loading the desktop. On the black windows XP splash screen with the green progress bar there was a blue screen which i'm unable to get passed. I hoped that nLite would have taken care of that part for me but doesn't look like it has :( So right before the finish BSOD!

i'm going to read over the links you gave me in my previous post. I might set everything up again from the beginning :blushing:

Edited by techsup1983

My bet is on a 0x0000007b due to your having attempted to install on a SATA disk in SATA mode but failing to provide the right drivers.

That is FAQ #3:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/116766-faqs/

but it is possible, since you mentioned nlite, that you overdid it a little (and that would 0x0000006F and FAQ #2).

Don't worry, it's normal, everyone has had the one or the other STOP error. :)

Depending on the motherboard, you might find this useful:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107504-integration-of-intels-sata-ahci-and-raid-drivers/

jaclaz

I managed to catch a photo of the BSOD before it vanished. It was only visible for a split second. You're correct the BSOD error is 0x0000007B

The extra SATA drivers I added using DriverPacks Base "DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1209.7z" This was prior to running nLite.

I have just read the below text from FAQ #3, maybe this is where I went wrong.

"Another reason could be missing mass storage driver. Make sure you have it, or integrate BTS mass storage driver pack in your source. This must be done AFTER Nlite."

"Another reason could be missing mass storage driver. Make sure you have it, or integrate BTS mass storage driver pack in your source. This must be done AFTER Nlite."

Yep, AFAIK, DriverPacks should be the last thing done before making the ISO. ( Except perhaps some manual file/folder manipulation.)

Cheers and Regards

Hi there, it looks like everything is working as expected. I managed to complete my multiboot usb. And a big thanks for your help jaclaz, I couldn't have done it with out you !

One thing I discovered while doing this which may help someone else is this regarding driverpacks base.

I have found when using driverpacks base that the slipstream method 2 works best with windows xp to get around the 0x0000007B error.

Method2 install a dummy setup that will be executed before the real setup. This dummy setup will extract the driverpacks from the cd/dvd to the hdd and then update the devicepath key in the registry.

Another change i've made to my W7 auto install is i've added the SAD3 script.

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=5336

Thanks again.