Building a Pentium 4 Windows 2000 rig for kicks... Need some advice

As a first step you’ll want the download, and blackwingcat has provided a handy way to find such things on his site, by entering the following term in the Google search engine:

BM site:jp blackwingcat + what you want

In this case you would enter the term

BM site:jp blackwingcat jre-8u51-windows-i586.tar.gz

which will bring up the relevant page of bwc’s site, and the download link.  You may want to use the Bing or Google translators.

When I enter the term “BM site:jp blackwingcat jre-8u51-windows-i586.tar.gz” Google search returns just one result (here is the direct link):

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1894625.html

That page includes the download link (click “Java SE Runtime Environment 8 – Downloads”) and instructions.  Here is the direct download link:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Using google translate, I translated the contents of BlackWingCat's blog to:

March 9, 2015
How to use without installing the Java 8 Update 40
"Java 8 Update 40" public, regular outside of updates -INTERNET Watch
Java 8 Update 40 came.

And it does not also not put in XP or Windows 2000, but it is a little time and effort to take out the MSI.

So, we'll show you how to use it without installing directly.

Java download for all operating system
Download site of the Japanese will go to English site because it does not use

Java SE Runtime Environment 8 - Downloads

jre
Download the jre-8u40-windows-i586.tar.gz,% PROGRAMFILES% \ Unzip the Java \ jre8 etc.

Then open the Control Panel, such as Java 6 and 7

jre1
From the run-time version, choose Add.

jre2
Found.
Choose to complete

jre3
I was able to successfully added.

If you want to start the JAR is, in the case of CUI-based bin \ java.exe -jar [jarfile] .jar
In the case of GUI-based bin \ javaw.exe -jar [jarfile] .jar

In even to start it is OK · ω ·

Update:

Cloned W2K installation to 60gb Samsung MSATA SSD. Going to use this new 1TB drive as a data drive paired with a 256GB Samsung 850 pro SSD in a Windows 10 computer I'm building this week.

Still waiting for the pentium D to come in, once I have that, the new RAM and cooler installed, I hopefully won't have to open up this computer for awhile. :)

Pentium D 960 3.6GHz installed from Pentium 4 HT 3.8GHz... Had to go with the 130W TDP part because I couldn't find the 95w TDP part. Fret not, as I have purchased and installed a heat sink to address this that can handle 150W TDP AND doesn't require removal of mobo. That's done and I am typing this from this machine.

New RAM installed. Highest speed mobo can take.

Everything migrated to 60GB MSATA Samsung SSD.

Everything appears to be in order hardware wise here, and I don't plan on opening her back up for awhile.

I'm still trying to figure the Java thing out, I'm just having difficulty understanding what I'm being suggested to do. Thanks.

MrMaguire do you need some case badges because I'd be more than happy to order them for you

Thanks for the offer, but I'm just gonna forget about it.

Tomasz86 is back working with Windows 2000. Apparently he's changed his web site around and is planning to release a new version of Unofficial Update Rollup. More info can be found in the thread linked below.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000/page-31#entry1102435

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks!

Very cool project.

I think blackwingcat was suggesting you use the Java 6 u101 release from his blog unless you needed the latest version.  I have personally found Java 7 to be the last version with sane security settings. Java 8 is "not tested to work with Windows XP" which is what I use, and you can't set the security level slider below "High" so there is no option to run things it doesn't like the signature of, even if you've used them for years and you know they're perfectly fine.  They warned they'd do it for years, but they finally did!  I think the security establishment just put a huge amount of pressure on them, but I'm not going to accept any update that removes user options and prevents me from my main purpose of installing Java in the first place — playing games like the eternal Tony's Teddy!

there is no option to run things it doesn't like the signature of, even if you've used them for years and you know they're perfectly fine.

But there IS such an option - you just have to add each one to the exceptions list.

If you use Java 6 u101, plz see security in detail option tab.

there is no option to run things it doesn't like the signature of, even if you've used them for years and you know they're perfectly fine.

But there IS such an option - you just have to add each one to the exceptions list.

Yes, perhaps you're right, but it's simply too much trouble.

In Java 7 or earlier, it will just ask me if I want to run the application and I say yes.  It doesn't make me go into the settings.  It's too far for me, and IIFC, the exception setting didn't even work properly for me.