Building a Pentium 4 Windows 2000 rig for kicks... Need some advice

The above issue is solved... I hard shut down the computer with the power button, tapped F8, last known good config.

I then installed Update Rollup 2 then V11, had to close explorer.exe to get it to finish installing.

afterwards, I re ran the USP5.1 and it worked without issues.

Now in the process of installing other stuff.

I cannot get past this point in the USP 5.1 installation

34ec93d.jpg left on overnight

I actually had that exact same problem with my Windows 2000, which also has Service Pack 4 integrated. I found that I had to hard shut down the computer and restart USP5.1 setup, then it finished just fine.

Firefox 39 successfully installed.

Irfanview successfully installed

OpenOffice successfully installed

VLC media player successfully installed

Java is protesting

Adobe Flash Player is protesting

unity web player is protesting

I definitely want AFP and Java to work, so I need assistance :)

With Java I've found that it will start the installer, then not much happens. But if you restart the installer, it will say that Java is already installed.

I've not had any problems installing Flash Player. I don't even need to use the Application Compatibility launcher. Maybe a recent release is incompatible with January 3rd UUR. Who knows.

Which version of VLC did you install?

Hmm, seems like there probably is an incompatibility with Flash, maybe Java too. If you want, you can try a newer version of Unofficial Update Rollup, such as the November 30th, 2014 release. I'm not sure what the proper practice is for upgrading UUR. I just install the new version over the old version, so it replaces all the files it needs to.

Pretty much all of the good ones use a back plate of sorts, and they require that the motherboard be removed, unless your case uses a motherboard tray, or it has a cut-out at the back for accessing the heatsink back plate.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a very nice heatsink for the money, and you'll be able to reuse it on different sockets.