Can I extract multiple zipped files at one time? If yes, how?

jrahmeyer

Re: Universal Extractor...

I am in the process of starting a mobile karaoke company & have THOUSANDS of zipped files I need to extract to simplify the song organizing process, however, so far I've had to extract each file manually one at a time!? Is there ANY way to extract more than one zipped file at a time??

When I've tried to select multiple files & selected "extract all" - it only extracts the file I used to right click on!?

Do I need to look for a different program to extract multiple files at once?

Edited by jrahmeyer

Sorry, not clear - Universal Extractor can OR can't extract multiple zipped files at once?

If it can, I don't know how to do it!?

I've been extracting hundreds of files today one at a time!?

Why are you stick on universal extractor? You've wasted a ton of time...

7zip is free and can handle tons of files at once. And there is a portable version.

You've already wasted more time and energy than needed on the task.

Yes it is a question that needs asked on whether UE can do it. But you are really spinning your wheels.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

1 - No, Universal Extracter does not do multiple files. It's a specialized multi-type singke-file "extracter".

2 - Yes, Kel provided you with two alternatives that will extract multiple ZIP files.

2a - Go for 7-Zip (free.

2b - Read the Help file. Basically, put all ZIP in a folder, create another folder,  run 7-Zip, select them all, then tell it where to extract.

Clear up your confusion?

HTH

Yes, it will, but a single file at a time. You *could* make a BAT/CMD file looping through, but the point is it won't do multiples in one execution.

however, so far I've had to extract each file manually one at a time!? Is there ANY way to extract more than one zipped file at a time??

My example, "zip1.zip" and "zip2.zip" in a folder to be extracted to a subfolder yields

*.zip could not be extracted.

So either use something that does understand multiple ZIP files (OP specifically said "ZIP") or make a "FOR" loop in a BAT/CMD and run Uniextract against a Variable set within the Loop.

Choose your poison...

Yes, it will, but a single file at a time. You *could* make a BAT/CMD file looping through, but the point is it won't do multiples in one execution.

Well, but neither will *any* other tool, when you select multiple files in a GUI program like 7-zip you are simply piping sequentially the filenames list to the tool.

The difference (in command line usage) may be that 7-zip allows wildcards, and uniextract doesn't.

On the other hand uniextract has the (nice) /sub parameter that in some cases is very convenient.

A one-liner *like* (say):

FOR %A IN (*.zip) DO uniextract %A /sub

can hardly be called "a batch file", but uniextract would anyway use the command line version of 7-zip for .zip files, so normally the "right" way is to use 7-zip (either GUI or command line).

jaclaz

There ya go! Now that that's settled, the OP (an obvious noob) now has the perfect FOR-loop example.

Now, if the OP so desires to return, they may be pointed to how to "write" the "remainder" of the BAT/CMD file.

Otherwise, this exercise is at an end. :zzz:

Sorry!

YES, I downloaded 7-Zip & extracted around 4K files altogether within a couple hrs!

MUCH more efficient than one at a time!!

I 1st thought that 7-Zip was a trial-only = pay for later program, so I opted for UE since I was only looking to extract at this time.

I don't understand ANY of the program tech verbage you guys ended up suggesting, but I appreciate your responses!!!

THANK YOU!

Now on to my next step...

Jeff

Edited by jrahmeyer