StartIsBack++ 2.9

Tihiy

StartIsBack++ 2.9.15

- Reimplemented jump list hooks for better compatibility, including older Win10

- Reimplemented 'Pin to start' removal support for older Win10 versions

- Reimplemented taskbar icon size bumping for older Win10 versions

- Bumped taskbar dynamic half-occluded opacity

Heavily abbreviated "TL;DR" version: "What, if anything, is the significance of the 'Endgame' in the changelog title for the latest on the download page -- especially with regard to future plans/intentions for endeavoring to implement Win11 support (after RTM)?"

///

More verbose version:

Question -- is the 'Endgame' subtitle for the latest version an indication this is likely to be the final Windows 10 version? Or does it mean SiB isn't going to be developed further at all -- for both 11 and 10?

Just wondering since my migration plans on whether to use Windows 11 (a good full year plus AFTER it RTMs) or not will entirely hinge upon whether -- at some future point -- SiB I guess +++? Will get developed for 11 or not. 

And if that's the end not just for 10 updates but in general then I know to migrate to Windows 10 LTSC Enterprise 2021 (2022?) later this year to at least get 10 years of at least security patches before I'm forced to 1. Bail to GNU/Linux distro; 2. Put up with the least-functional and least-customizable taskbar Microsoft has made since the RTM version of Windows 95; or 3. Run LTSC into the ground long after its no longer supported in 2031 or 2032 (for the upcoming supposed last Windows 10 LTSC build) and basically wait until no major web browsers function any longer before finally migrating.

Or am I reading too much into it or otherwise misreading the intent behind the 'Endgame' subtitle in the heading for 2.9.15's release as indicated here: https://www.startisback.com/#download-tab

Thanks.

Edited by Rfire

Could just mean endgame for Windows 10 specific development, as there is only one more minor update to come so that would make sense.
Hard to tell though, as even if he did mean endgame for development as a whole I doubt he'd want to publicize that before Windows 11's launch as that would serve to discourage potential purchases.
Probably depends on how difficult it is to properly integrate it into the new taskbar as a full replacement for Win11's start menu.

On 7/6/2021 at 10:20 PM, RandPC said:

Could just mean endgame for Windows 10 specific development, as there is only one more minor update to come so that would make sense.
Hard to tell though, as even if he did mean endgame for development as a whole I doubt he'd want to publicize that before Windows 11's launch as that would serve to discourage potential purchases.
Probably depends on how difficult it is to properly integrate it into the new taskbar as a full replacement for Win11's start menu.

What do you mean one minor update?

6 hours ago, Octopuss said:

What do you mean one minor update?

Win10 21H2 is still coming out, although it'll just be another enablement patch update like 20H1/21H1, after that it's just security updates until 2025 as Win11 gets all the focus.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, bapt said:

Classic Shell already works under Windows 11, the changes don't seem that "huge"

I haven't been on this site in  years, but came on to check if anything is happening/going to happen with Windows 11. I saw your comment, and decided to give it a shot. It seems to work fine, and actually maintains the new Windows 11 start menu while enabling the classic Windows start menu. It's like there are two start menu buttons; a small black one on top of a larger blue one. If I click in the black area, it launches the StartIsBack Classic Start menu, and if I get the tip of the mouse pointer on blue area and click there, it launches the new Windows 11 menu. And like I said, both start menus seem to work perfectly fine. Also, if I right click in the blue area, it launches the power user's menu, but if I right click on the black area, or if the whole start menu button kind of grays out when I hover the mouse pointer anywhere over it and right click, it locks the start menu up completely. It can be unlocked again in Task Manager by restarting Windows Explorer. (I think you have to select the first option, the black Windows logo as the button style in StartIsBack configuration to get this sort of double start button, but I haven't tried any of the other options since I don't really like them anyway.) Is that about the same as your experience?

Hi, I just bought my license after a few weeks on W11 insider preview. Awesome app, I must say. However, one windows update totally broke the custom themes engines like ultrauxtheme patcher and others. I used to have a theme on and apply its start menu through startisback. However, it is no longer possible. Applying a theme no longer has any effect on the start menu, and startisback won't show any start menu in the available options. Is there a way to import a theme into startisback to use its start menu ? Appart from this, startisback works perfectly and I thank the developer(s) for it !

1 hour ago, Semtex said:

Thanks, but I like to keep icons centered on taskbar and i like Windows 7 like menu start ;)
Poza tym śwat jest mniejszy niż nam się wydaje :D Pozdrawiam.

No tak bywa :)

Zrzut ekranu-1.jpg

Jak chcesz mogę ci podesłać wersję testową prv

Pozdrawiam

Edited by JakubDriver