StartIsBack++ 2.9

Tihiy

17 hours ago, EMSoftware said:

Sorry I forgot to upload the other screenshot where the right part of the tray below the StartIsBack++ window was completely emplty (even the clock and the notification icon).

For example this morning that is the status bar in the right bottom corner of the screen.

image.thumb.png.c10e51669e979f8f0e2930febf60aadb.png

Windows Blinds + Start is back ++ Definitely getting there with the support! Only bugs are the windows 7 jump lists are black, occasionally the taskbar buttons will have the appearance that there are more than one program open, but usually fixes itself, and the start menu's font color is black/blur/acrylic blur no longer works on the start menu (same with Open-Shell but definitely windows blinds fault. I'm not gonna complain, this is the closest I've gotten to a fully functional Windows 7 look. Of course it's gonna have its limitations, that's to be expected, but I just wanted to report on it!

image.png.6e744392517ce1e21e496807ef2b7890.pngimage.png.33405a247f52ac781a8a81ee206868f6.pngimage.png.a2712cd94f8d42b53b6be2726c101320.png

My Windows 10 have updated to 21H1 and explorer.exe started crushing (and after that it reloads itself).  Crushing happens when I click on any active program on taskbar when I want to focus or restore window. I thought that MS update was the problem, but when I did't find any similar problems on net I suspected on StartIsBack. After I uninstalled StartIsBack problem was gone. 

So there are some issues between Windows 21H1 and StartIsBack

Suggestions for next version:

1. The ability to set a custom accent colour that applies only to the taskbar.  When you set a very dark accent colour (in order to have, for instance, black title bars), the Windows flag on the start button becomes really dark when hovering over it and doesn't look right.  This could be avoided by allowing a custom accent colour to be set just for the taskbar.

2. The ability for custom start buttons to shrink when "Use small taskbar buttons" is ticked in the PC taskbar settings.  Currently, this only works with the default button, but if you add in a custom one, it will retain its large size even when using small taskbar buttons.  Other start menu replacements (such as Start Menu 8 and Start10) both shrink the button when using small taskbar buttons.  I appreciate this wouldn't be ideal for the Windows 7 start button, but it would be good to at least have it as an option for buttons where it makes sense to behave this way (such as any Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 style button).

What do you think?

Edited by SL64

On 5/27/2021 at 9:00 AM, EMSoftware said:

For example this morning that is the status bar in the right bottom corner of the screen.

image.thumb.png.c10e51669e979f8f0e2930febf60aadb.png

Hi, I've found that the problem that is NOT RELATED to StartIsBack++ but is due to a Microsoft Update. Unfortunately I installed the new version of StartIsBack++ the same time I applied the Microsoft patch so I believed that v2.9.13 has a bug related to taskbar icons. Following you can find the bug details confirmed by Microsoft.

"KB5003214 update is causing issues with Windows 10 taskbar

This is happening to users running Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) or newer with KB5003214 (optional patch) installed. One of the affected users told us that their taskbar is messed up with icons within the system tray going blank and overlapping, especially when News and Interests feature is enabled."

With DPI setting of 200% the German strings for "store and display recently opened programs" don't fit before the "Clear list" button.

As for DarkRun, dialog 1005 (shell is running as admin) is ignored.

Edited by JFX

As of a mid-week Windows update, trying to use my second monitor with extend desktop is causing SIB to keep restarting - even pressing/holding Escape does nothing - and it won't stop until I go back to using a single monitor where everything runs smoothly again.

Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
OS build    19042.1052    (no Optional Updates)
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

StartIsBack v2.9.13

Thanks for the reply!

While trying to work out what I was meant to do with any of the linked information I had a check in the event viewer and discovered that it wasn't Windows and SIB that was causing the issue but 7+ Taskbar Tweaker trying to reinject itself at the same time as SIB.

Since SIB was the one making the most obvious fuss I made the mistake of presuming that it was at fault. Both are fully updated and playing together nicely again.

Sorry for wasting your time. Have an awesome day!

I updated windows yesterday and after that SIB is continually crashing explorer.exe each time I open a window in maximized. I cannot have two overlapped windows or the explorer will crash again. Here is some of the logs from event viewer.

The only solution now is to deactivate SIB and then the explorer works fine.

I can provide a video if that can help :)

cheers

SIB2.evtx SIB.evtx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tihiy

I would like to see a new feature in StartIsBack next version > I would like the number of recent programs to display to be unlimited  and use vertical scroll bar to navigate through them, and keep the height of the start menu fixed or limited to not more than 2/3 of screen height . Thank you.

Start menu Vertical Scroll bar.png

Edited by humanangle
Adding video file