StartIsBack++ 2.9

Tihiy

++1.0.1 is not pushed automatically as it is minor update. (Same as +1.7.5 vs +1.7)

Start menu purposefully has different color as it's not possible to match taskbar color without matching blur and translucency level as well.

Could you make it match the taskbar colour if blur and transparency is disabled?

I use neither, and have to manually try to match the menu and taskbar colours whenever I change them

Hi,

First of all: Great Work! I use SIB since the original 1.0 for Windows 8.0 and use it daily, even on my Surface 2 Pro.

On that very Surface tablet, I am missing an option in SIB++ that was present in SIB, i.e., I configured SIB+ to show the Win 8.1 start screen when pressing the Surface's hardware Windows ("home") button, and to show the SIB+ start menu, when touching or clicking the Windows button of the taskbar. That way, when used as a tablet (e.g. when reading eBooks or watching videos when travelling) I could use the start screen and when in the office, I could use the (in my configuration) more efficient start menu.

This is not possible with SIB++ anymore. Its configuration tool does not allow me to configure the tablet's windows key and the taskbar's start button seperately. Coild you please reimplement this use case?

On that very Surface tablet, I am missing an option in SIB++ that was present in SIB, i.e., I configured SIB+ to show the Win 8.1 start screen when pressing the Surface's hardware Windows ("home") button, and to show the SIB+ start menu, when touching or clicking the Windows button of the taskbar. That way, when used as a tablet (e.g. when reading eBooks or watching videos when travelling) I could use the start screen and when in the office, I could use the (in my configuration) more efficient start menu.

I actually signed up to say the exact same thing, love using SIB on my main desktop and have no problems with it. But on my tablet I've run into the same issue, I want to be able to tap or click the Start Button and bring up the SIB++ start menu, but use what registers as the Windows Key to jump to the Start Screen.

It may seem like a weird use case, but I prefer the regular start screen just for quick tablet stuff, but using the SIB start menu for anything more complicated. AN option that separates a Start Button click/tap and the windows key would be very much appreciated as long as it's not too hard to implement.  

Running StartIsBack 1.0.1

Search seems VERY slow.

Basically I press the Windows key and type in "cmd" or "windows update" and it can take a minute before the item shows up. Sometimes it does not show at all.

I have an i7, 8gb, SSD running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. It should load up fast.

Yep, search is very fast for me too.  Calc, cmd, windows update, come up instantly for me.  Of course, searching for Windows Update doesn't provide a link to actual Windows Update, but that's not SiB's fault since Windows 10's built in Windows Update doesn't bring it up either.

I actually signed up to say the exact same thing, love using SIB on my main desktop and have no problems with it. But on my tablet I've run into the same issue, I want to be able to tap or click the Start Button and bring up the SIB++ start menu, but use what registers as the Windows Key to jump to the Start Screen.

It may seem like a weird use case, but I prefer the regular start screen just for quick tablet stuff, but using the SIB start menu for anything more complicated. AN option that separates a Start Button click/tap and the windows key would be very much appreciated as long as it's not too hard to implement.  

Would it work if SIB would simply disable its menu in Tablet Mode? That would make sense.

Would it work if SIB would simply disable its menu in Tablet Mode? That would make sense.

I personally don't use tablet mode since the forced fullscreen etc gets in the way for me. I think the best scenario for me would be for SIB to recognise a difference between clicking the button and hitting the key.

On a semi-related note I've noticed that occasionally when I've got the 'start screen' option selected instead of 'start menu' it'll pop the start menu up anyway. It's not happening very regularly, but it does happen every now and then.

-  If "Use larger taskbar icons" is enabled, the touch keyboard icon near the notification area also get enlarged and looks weird:

AkqPl9u.png

Also, on Windows 10, don't Modern apps already terminate their process with the Close button? I observed that they did on my Windows 10 even if the SIB++ option was not checked?

Edited by xpclient

I personally don't use tablet mode since the forced fullscreen etc gets in the way for me. I think the best scenario for me would be for SIB to recognise a difference between clicking the button and hitting the key.

On a semi-related note I've noticed that occasionally when I've got the 'start screen' option selected instead of 'start menu' it'll pop the start menu up anyway. It's not happening very regularly, but it does happen every now and then.

Wanted to say then same, I also would prefer seperate yetting for windows key and start button, since I don't use the tablet very often, because of its disadvantages.

I also made the very same observation.

++1.0.2

- RTL fixes

- 'Advanced Startup' option is properly named
- Windows logo button on tablet always opens system menu
(As in StartIsBack+)

This version will be pushed as automatic download if you have v1.0.1 installed.
Edited by Tihiy

Would it be possible to make a "Slim" option for the startmenu where it puts the power button above or under "All programs" and collapses the right hand side of the start menu like you can do in win10?

Either that or would it be possible to use the win10 startmenu but have the option to remove the user account picture and name?

Thanks very much to anyone that developed this and got out such a stable build so close to release.

[...] This version will be pushed as automatic download if you have v1.0.1 installed.

Tihiy, maybe to make everyone happy you could add a suboption to the update notifier, something like:

[_] Also notify of beta/RC/minor updates

It will then be people's choice whether to follow and install such versions, reagrdless of whether they already are on beta/minor channel or not.