StartIsBack++ 2.9

Tihiy

Hey Drugwash,

thx for the link. Unfortunately the tool always crashes when I attempt to run it in windows 10 x64 (ntdll.dll module error). Both compressed and uncompressed versions.

Oh, bummer! :( That's gonna be a problem since I have no x64 machine around to test and fix.

Have you tried some compatibility mode, if available? Should work in 32bit XP compatibility. Or run it on another machine with an older 32bit system, if possible (and copy over the translation file to be edited).

Sorry for the inconvenience! :blushing:  I'll try to revise the code but with no ability to test that will be like driving blindfolded. :(

@Drugwash

I tested it in a Win7 x64 VM and I could run the tool. Don't know why it crashes on Win 10.

Though, the missing strings (screenshots in my previous post) are not listed in the extracted file from the actual startisback v1.0 for Win10 config file. Neither the EN strings nor the DE strings.

So the problem seems to be something else and we'll have to wait to see what Tihiy says about the issue.

Edited by paul70

Ah, good that you found a way to run the tool. I believe those missing strings can be found in the Russian translation file, which is the default template

for translations. You can copy/paste the missing English strings from the Russian file to the German file and then use the translator to translate them.

EDIT :

Forgot how smart I was two years ago when releasing the tool. :P You can easily update a template without losing current translation:

- In Input file > Source select 'Extract from config'

- In next window mark checkboxes for 'de-DE' and 'ru-RU'

- Click de-DE to have it selected

- Mark 'Load higlighted item after extraction'

- Click 'Extract'

The English template strings to the left will be updated to the latest version while the translated ones will remain unchanged. Scroll to the bottom and you'll find the missing untranslated strings. ;)

And if that won't work for some reason, load the newly extracted de-DE, click 'Merge' and then load the newly extracted ru-RU. that should do the trick.

/EDIT

In the mean time I'm looking through the code to see what could be wrong. I'll try to compile it as a 64bit application. Thank you for your reports so far.

Edited by Drugwash

Installed my first version of Version ++1.0 (29 July 2015) today on the laptop of a client who'd updated to Win10 Home without having a clue what would happen.

Client is now very happy to have menus back and things looking much as they were on Win7 but I need to know what the situation is with paying.

Can I use a license I've bought in preparation for installing StartIsBack on Windows 8 or 8.1? I'm guessing that all licenses can be used on all versions but there's nothing on the StartIsBack site about this at all. 

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Bob Crabtree

but there's nothing on the StartIsBack site about this at all

that's not true, it's written at least twice that you don't have to buy new license.

++1.0.1 is out

- Fixed immersive menu colors with third-party styles

- Fixed All Programs default style glyph

Tihiy, why the start button orbs on my Appearance settings are not as equally as the ones on your screenshots?

Edit: remove attachment.

Edited by Aloha

Using the latest StartIsBack++ 1.0.1

I am facing this issue when using some styles in right to left arabic windows 10

and also some menu items in the configuration window not translated into Arabic Language and it appears left to right instead of right to left when translating the missing items. I mean the configuration window.

Screen shot attached using the Aerobydesign style

Regards

image.png

Here the Full translation of Arabic Attached below

AR-SA.txt

Edited by humanangle

A very nice tool you've made! Here is some feedback:

1. Ctrl-click should open original menu (Stardock start10 has it) - Ctrl-Win key doesn't work via remote desktop

2. More versatile 'disable for this user' option would be nice - I want to keep cortana disabled, but original menu.

3. Colors don't match default (http://picpaste.com/startisbackcolors-HyGA8MZq.bmp - example against white background)

4. righ-click to show advanced context menu hides previously opened start menu

5. modern view of start10 would be nice - I like it (the non-white win7 part) (like https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/images/0730/Start10_modernstyle.png)

Edited by SergeyN

that's not true, it's written at least twice that you don't have to buy new license.

++1.0.1 is out

Tihiy, having installed StartIsBack on close to 100 of my clients' Win8/8.1 PCs (as well as a few of my own), I'm personally very grateful for all the fantastic work you've done with StartIsBack (as, of course, are very many of my clients!) so, please, don't feel the need to be defensive.

Instead, please try to take on board the fact that, if I couldn't find this information, it's not as prominent as it really should be.

So, please, just make this important fact rather more obvious. 

Just for the record (okay, I am being unnecessarily pedantic), there is no such mention on these key pages:

http://startisback.com/

http://startisback.com/#download-tab

http://startisback.com/#buy-tab

Best regards

Cheers

Bob

Edited by BobCrabtree

++1.0.1 is out

Thanks for the quick fix mate, I appreciate it :)

Tihiy, having installed StartIsBack on close to 100 of my clients' Win8/8.1 PCs (as well as a few of my own), I'm personally very grateful for all the fantastic work you've done with StartIsBack (as, of course, are very many of my clients!) so, please, don't feel the need to be defensive.

Instead, please try to take on board the fact that, if I couldn't find this information, it's not as prominent as it really should be.

So, please, just make this important fact rather more obvious. 

Just for the record (okay, I am being unnecessarily pedantic), there is no such mention on these key pages:

http://startisback.com/

http://startisback.com/#download-tab

http://startisback.com/#buy-tab

Best regards

Cheers

Bob

I would call it a Frequently Asked Question, and it's under the FAQ section of the website.

Edited by roirraWedorehT

> I would call it a Frequently Asked Question, and it's under the FAQ section of the website.

It is, indeed, a FAQ - and it's the case that I didn't read the FAQ, so apologies for that -  but (in my less than humble view) although it should be on the FAQ page, it should also be on the pages people visit in the process of downloading and buying the version for Windows 10. With everyone's permission, I think we can now stop talking about this.

Cheers

Bob

I have noticed an issue as follow.

Startisback++ windows 10 ver 1.0.1

I have set to activate startisback start menu on hitting windows key, and windows 10 default start menu on hitting ctrl + windows key

I have a file explorer window opened, scrolled to the item in the middle, and selected it, i notice sometimes the taskbar would flicker and my selection is reset, scrolled back all the way to the top.

i am not sure what trigger the symptoms but i tink bringing up the default start menu does it.

Edited by cloudie