Start Menu, How response time mattered.

ralcool

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/02/26/some-changes-since-beta.aspx?PageIndex=2 I remembered reading the Win7 beta blogs back during the beta testing of Windows 7. This page specifically. I went hunting to find it again for your reading pleasure... please scroll down to point #36 'Performance' near the bottom. Here you will see that the team was interested in ensuring as little lag as possible. The experience of Windows. A simple little thing like opening time of the menu. ... Then in this post, how important it was for us to have control over which features are installed.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/03/06/beta-to-rc-changes-turning-windows-features-on-or-off.aspx Sinofsky was instrumental in polishing 7... how did he lose the plot so badly in Win8... If the start screen or The removed start button were made possible to add or remove via the 'features' menu... things could have been very different. They forgot the very rules they learnt from the feedback the first time. User choice. Perhaps marketing took control of the company and dictated the direction... or they sacked anyone with sense of cohesion and replaced them with interns.. either way, while re-engineering the mothership for a touch future- they threw out functionality for everyone else. I'm not knocking change, but why did Windows jump in a time machine and go back to 16bit looking graphics and icons. All the while removing time honored controls and menus millions are familiar with. whatever, I'm just happy to share the once positive and thoughtful changes you can read about in the Engineering of Windows 7... Did those ideas & things become obsolete too? Strange World.

Edited by Tripredacus

By Sinofsky

The theme of “choice and control” has been applied in many aspects of how we have designed Windows 7

Lost the plot indeed.

To me it's pretty clear someone of great power has stated: 

Chop Windows down to a new 1.0 so we can have another couple of decades of success improving it.

-Noel