Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H woes

Tommy

You need to use the jumper.

What I normally do (or did better to say):

1. Power off, disconnect from power-outlet
  2. Move the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 and push on/off button a few times to make sure the capacitors in your PC are discharged as much as it can be
  3. Power on, don't forget to connect to the power-outlet
  4. See if that helped, if not, goto 1.

The jumper is located just above the lower PCI slot, about in the middle of it, called CLR_CMOS, 1-2 is normal mode, 2-3 is reset mode.

If it doesn't work after a few times your chipset likely is gone. Also, disconnect your front USB ports and check the rear ones for broken connectors.

You need to use the jumper.

What I normally do (or did better to say):

1. Power off, disconnect from power-outlet
  2. Move the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 and push on/off button a few times to make sure the capacitors in your PC are discharged as much as it can be
  3. Power on, don't forget to connect to the power-outlet
  4. See if that helped, if not, goto 1.

The jumper is located just above the lower PCI slot, about in the middle of it, called CLR_CMOS, 1-2 is normal mode, 2-3 is reset mode.

If it doesn't work after a few times your chipset likely is gone. Also, disconnect your front USB ports and check the rear ones for broken connectors.

Thanks for the helpful hints. The reset switch was right when you said it was, but it was just the two pins so I had to find my own jumper to clear the CMOS, but unfortunately it didn't make any bit of difference. With the battery removed and the clear jumper on, it still is dead as a doornail. I'm really starting to believe there is no hope for this board. But I truly appreciate everyone's attempted to help me out with it. :)

Just thought I would update this thread. I ordered a different Gigabyte board like I mentioned earlier although Intel based. I went to assemble the computer with the new board and I ran into an "almost" dead situation as well. It was really weird! After troubleshooting, I found the piece of RAM I had used to test was bad. Would this be a problem with testing my other board? Yes, it would, because it was the same piece I used to test the 'bad' board. However, sadly, using a definite good piece didn't help the board come to life either. So I do think it has gone to MB Heaven. I just thought though I would report this back to make sure we exhausted anything we can.

• 1 month later...

So I decided to pick the board up again for kicks, I had the CMOS battery out of it since I last played with it which was a few months ago I believe. Hooking up a hard drive to it and powering it up, the drive will not spin up at all. If I take the IDE cable off and have it just hooked up to the power, it spins up just fine, but if the IDE connection is left on, then the drive will not spin up at all. Is it safe to say the board is just screwed at this point and not worth investigating any further?

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to your original post:

while I was using it, the monitors sort of just faded out until they went into sleep mode and the fans started going full speed. The on/off switch was useless too, I actually had to pull the power cord.

it sounds like you had a power surge that killed the machine (and maybe the monitors, too).

The computers are on a surge protector that I just recently replaced about a year ago. The monitors are actually just fine, since I'm using both of them right now. Even all the other hardware survived since I just transfered just about everything over to the new board except the processor because I went from AMD to Intel. So maybe it just went south for whatever reason. Hard to say.

• 3 months later...

but it seemed like my other one was starting to struggle with that as time went on, sometimes I'd have to hit refresh a few times before it would even start playing. It just seemed like it was starting to degrade over time.

Sounds like it could have been lag because of throttling. (From dirty heatsink, CPU fan not working or CPU fan too slow.)

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I'm not quite sure what it was doing to be truthful. I always had the alarm set so if the CPU got too hot, it would shut the machine down immediately and it never did that. Although it definitely sounds like something fried out, I just don't know what. I still have the board but I haven't touched it for months. If anything, I think something that regulates the CPU died somehow because it acted in an extremely similar way my Dell Optiplex GX270 did except it froze, this didn't. But when you went to turn it on, it does nothing. I wonder if a POST card would say anything or if it even tries to POST at all.