Will Windows 10 update inherit all/most Win7/8 customizations?

coucou

Hello,

Currently I'm using Win7 x64 ultmate that I had installed unintended with several customizations... Addons, drivers, Lang packs, QuickLaunch and 80K of registry tweaks (Desktop, Control Panel, UAC, Explorer…).

I agreed yesterday the Windows 10 update which will install in late this month. I like to know

if Windows 10 update will take all my Win7 customization heritage and apply it to Win 10?

Otherwise, do my Win7 RegTweaks file will be compatible and integrated if I apply it after windows 10 update?

Regards

I agreed yesterday the Windows 10 update which will install in late this month. I like to know

if Windows 10 update will take all my Win7 customization heritage and apply it to Win 10?

Otherwise, do my Win7 RegTweaks file will be compatible and integrated if I apply it after windows 10 update?

Regards

I doubt that your customizations will be saved. You might find some remnant or it could also be that your tweaks could interfere with the update process.

I haven't yet been able to test how Win10 will be as an in-place upgrade of Windows 7.

Hello,

Currently I'm using Win7 x64 ultmate that I had installed unintended with several customizations... Addons, drivers, Lang packs, QuickLaunch and 80K of registry tweaks (Desktop, Control Panel, UAC, Explorer…).

Regards

If the RTM update is anything like the technical preview updates, most things you've customized will be overwritten (lost) by default settings.

I've done a lot of testing of this sort of thing, as I publish a book on tweaking Windows that will of course also be applicable to Windows 10, and I've been researching what works and what doesn't.  I can tell you definitively that many things you're used to in Win 7 will be quite different, though I've found that many customizations still apply.  You will also find Microsoft has changed the permissions on a great many things so that even if you run Regedit escalated you will not be able to change them without taking ownership and opening up permissions.

And of course UAC is no longer optional.  If you're used to turning UAC all the way off in Win 7, you'll be disappointed to learn that's no longer supported at all.  You can shut it off using the EnableLUA registry tweak, but then almost nothing that's new in Win 10 will work.  Honest.

Of course I don't know the tweaks/augments you typically do, so the only real way for YOU to properly anticipate and judge whether Windows 10 will suit YOUR needs is to join the Insider program and test it yourself (I strongly suggest using a virtual machine).

I STRONGLY recommend canceling your "reservation" and waiting until you hear what the others in the world who get updated right at release say.  The free upgrade offer will be good for a whole year.  You can be sure Microsoft isn't going to shut you out because you wait a few weeks or months after the release day to see how things really work (and how they are accepted by other Win 7 users).

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I STRONGLY recommend canceling your "reservation" and waiting until you hear what the others in the world who get updated right at release say.  The free upgrade offer will be good for a whole year.  You can be sure Microsoft isn't going to shut you out because you wait a few weeks or months after the release day to see how things really work (and how they are accepted by other Win 7 users).

-Noel

TNX Noel for all the infos above and your advice :thumbup  Above all, I keep to cancel my "reservation" and wait for the benefits of all those who rushed.

Have an idea how to cancel this "reservation"?

Regards

No, because I hid the updates that would run it before they were loaded on my system.

I believe at least one other person on this forum has reported being able to cancel it, though.  The post was today or yesterday, though I've lost track of where I saw it.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

If I got it right, it's more or less like this:

1.) You fumble around until you find an obscure option "Check the status of my reservation", then you click on it.
2.) You then get a window where you can click on a button marked "Cancel my reservation!", then you click on it.
3.) You then get a window saying "Are you sure?", then you click on "Yes".
4.) You then get a window saying "Really?", then you click on "Yes".
5.) You then get a window saying "Please state in full you want to cancel your resevation, using alternate case:", so you type: "SuRe, I hErEbY dEcLaRe I fIrMlY wAnT tO cAnCeL mY rEsErVaTiOn Of WiNdOwS 10".
6.) You then get a window saying "You spoilsport you! Your reservation is cancelled", but, even then, there is a button in the lower part of this window that says: "Click here to fully cancel your cancellation.", followed by a much smaller one that says "Done!".

Seems to be easy like this... :unsure:

Here is an English version:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/successfully-cancelling-your-windows-10-upgrade-reservation

which is seemingly accurate, and has only a typo ;):

If for some odd reason you want to cancel your Windows 10 upgrade reservation,

which should obviously read:

If for some rightful reason you want to cancel your Windows 10 upgrade reservation,

Personally I believe that the good MS guys have been more than nice to allow this change of mind, anyone actually making the reservation (if not as an experiment and/or on an "expendable" machine/VM) IMHO actually deserves to be delivered those goods bads.

:lol:

jaclaz