Windows 10 GWX Update Removal Tool for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

rn10950

I keep getting VS2005 build time errors in Wuapi.h

By the way, Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition RC is available, and it's free.

-Noel

I can't use VS2015 because I am running Win2k3 on my main machine, and just have Win7 and 10 VMs. Plus, I need 98SE compatability, and VS2005 is the last version to support 98SE and the only to support both 98SE and x64. There are articles from 2004 talking about Wuapi.h so it's probably an issue on my end.

Edited by rn10950

Sorry it's taking so long for v3.0, but I just can't get command line flags in MFC. I tried using many different code snippets dating all the way back to 1997 but every one I try either doesn't compile or doesn't work. If anyone has any ideas to put me in the right direction that would be amazing. This method is what I'm trying to get working now, and this is my implementation, but I keep getting a "error C2664: 'atoi' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'CString' to 'const char *' " error at line 26.

Try to do an explicit type recast, from the type it says it cannot convert to the one the function requires. What the compiler is saying is that it refuses to convert those types implicitly.

I figured out the issue, and it compiles now, all I need to do is get it to work... Basically I was using 1997 ANSI code in a Unicode compiler, I set the compiler to ANSI and changed some of the Unicode functions to their ANSI equivalents and it compiles now. It should take me about a day to get all the features I planned working and the code cleaned up for a v3.0 release.

Version 3.0 is here!

Here are the changes in this release:

• Fixes the MessageBox problem - I had to move the code around a little bit.
  • Kills GWX.EXE after update removal - logical decision.
  • Has command-line support - read the readme file on the GitHub project homepage for more information.
  • Major code re-writes - see bullet one.

As usual, Thank You to anyone here that helped me with this release. The next one will be a tough one.

Thanks!

As dencorso and others have mentioned, here's hoping that v4 will include the ability to select which of the Windows 10 related updates listed here that the user would like removed, killed where appropriate, and hidden so you won't be bothered by them again.

Cheers and Regards

I used this and was quite impressed with it's effectiveness, However, I also found a problem, the update was re-offered right after reboot. Is there a way to "fake" the entries so that it looks installed to WU? Or even to block the offending update all together?

ie:

.. the ability to select which of the Windows 10 related updates listed here that the user would like removed, killed where appropriate, and hidden so you won't be bothered by them again.

Cheers and Regards

Once this tool is ready to go, the key will be to spread the word somehow. People can't benefit from it if they don't know about it. Would it be possible to, say, get it listed on the BetaNews file forum?

--JorgeA

Does this tool put a block on the updates from being acquired? Or is it only an aid to systems infected?

My last update run was about a week ago. Thus far I haven't encounted it, but I'd rather not wait for it either. Hoping to find a solution before something bad happens 1st :w00t:

-Thanks