NB100 netbook and Win9X

Zollex

Will work if you install it without ACPI support (you can try installing it with ACPI but on some netbook it crash installing the acpi drivers)

The LAN driver should work, the WLAN no.

Video driver no, use the vbe9x.

Audio: Impossible its HD bus.

Have to wonder why this is the case.  There have been major upgrades since Windows 98SE support was ended by Microsoft.  One of the best in terms of drivers, is MajorGeeks U98SESP3.EXE, which includes all of the Microsoft upgrade patches and a lot more (all in one install).  Another major advance in USB drivers and hardware was made to allow win98se machines to quickly recognize a lot of USB hardware, including CDROM, external Hard Drives, and  flash drives.  The huge problem with these upgrades is that you MUST load them within a Windows 98SE windows environment.  They will not load via DOS.  This is a giant hangup when attempting to load WIN98SE onto modern netbooks, laptops and even PC's, because to enjoy these added drivers and updates, you must have a functional Windows screen FIRST!  it's too bad you can't install a mini-version of windows 98se without the hardware recognition component of the install, which is where everything goes haywire.  Recently tried installing this OS a on Dell Latitude D630  laptop, and an ACER ASPIRE ONE D255 netbook.  In both cases I was able to work through the install up to the moment of "hardware recognition", both plug n play, and non plug n play internal hardware.  Therefore could not get to the full Windows screen!  I believe the drivers and updates noted above, might actually make win98se recognize this hardware, and therein lies the hangup.

Edited by libnw

One of the best in terms of drivers, is MajorGeeks U98SESP3.EXE, which includes all of the Microsoft upgrade patches and a lot more (all in one install).  

Majorgeeks? :w00t:

Actually it was a project originated here on MSFN.ORG by member Gape and later carried on/updated by ProblemChyld:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/61749-98-se-sp-332/

jaclaz

Here is a great generic Windows 98SE USB mass storage device driver that will work with many makes and models of the following:

Driver name:  nusb33e.exe

Download it here:  http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

– USB Flash Drives
– Digital Photo and Video Cameras (that connect to the PC via USB)
– USB Hard Drives
– MP3 Players (including Apple iPod from v2.4)
– Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP)

I personally found that this (above driver) also is great for USB external CD/DVD ROM, at least in many cases.

For a more complete upgrade of WIN98SE, Majorgeeks has all the Microsoft upgrades for WIN98SE plus a lot of extra stuff to bring it more in line with current MS versions (at least in many cases).

YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL THE ABOVE (AND BELOW) *.EXE FILES FROM A WIN98SE OS COMPUTER WITH THE WINDOWS SCREEN ACTIVE!  THEY WILL NOT INSTALL IN A DOS MODE ENVORONMENT!!!  (Nor will they self install in any other Windows operating system, other than Windows 98SE).  To enjoy these enhancement, you must first get your machine, at a minimum, up and running with the Windows 98SE screen, not the Windows 98SE install screen!

MajorGeeks as two versions, an early one by the original creator: U98SESP3.3.33 (8/26/2014)

and, a later one that is now current:  U98SESP3.EXE  (5/29/2015)

Download it here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unofficial_windows98_se_service_pack.html

Hope some of this might help!

Edited by libnw

I really believe that the oldest Windows OS you can install on that netbook and have a good experience is Windows 2000. Windows 9x simply lacks the drivers for most of your hardware. I was able to successfully install Windows 98 on my Eee PC, but I had no graphics acceleration, no sound, no ethernet, and no WiFi. The only drivers I was able to use were Bearwindows's VBE9x driver which got me out of 640x480x16 mode, and Maximus Decim's USB 2.0 driver which allowed me to use USB storage media. Now, there is a VERY slim chance that a Windows 2000 driver would work with Windows 98 if you hack up the inf files, since both OSes use the WDM framework, but probably not. I once tried that with a USB WiFi card, and it had loads of missing exports to ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll, which don't exist in Windows 9x.

Here is a great generic Windows 98SE USB mass storage device driver that will work with many makes and models of the following:

Download it here:  http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

– USB Flash Drives
– USB Hard Drives

There's a more recent version 3.6 of that driver, which raymond.cc provides a link for.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-install-usb-mass-storage-device-on-windows-98/

Edited by CamTron

Have to wonder why this is the case.  There have been major upgrades since Windows 98SE support was ended by Microsoft.  One of the best in terms of drivers, is MajorGeeks U98SESP3.EXE, which includes all of the Microsoft upgrade patches and a lot more (all in one install).  Another major advance in USB drivers and hardware was made to allow win98se machines to quickly recognize a lot of USB hardware, including CDROM, external Hard Drives, and  flash drives.  The huge problem with these upgrades is that you MUST load them within a Windows 98SE windows environment.  They will not load via DOS.  This is a giant hangup when attempting to load WIN98SE onto modern netbooks, laptops and even PC's, because to enjoy these added drivers and updates, you must have a functional Windows screen FIRST!  it's too bad you can't install a mini-version of windows 98se without the hardware recognition component of the install, which is where everything goes haywire.  Recently tried installing this OS a on Dell Latitude D630  laptop, and an ACER ASPIRE ONE D255 netbook.  In both cases I was able to work through the install up to the moment of "hardware recognition", both plug n play, and non plug n play internal hardware.  Therefore could not get to the full Windows screen!  I believe the drivers and updates noted above, might actually make win98se recognize this hardware, and therein lies the hangup.

You need to install 98se without ACPI support, It hangs because it tries to install ACPI support.

I really believe that the oldest Windows OS you can install on that netbook and have a good experience is Windows 2000. Windows 9x simply lacks the drivers for most of your hardware. I was able to successfully install Windows 98 on my Eee PC, but I had no graphics acceleration, no sound, no ethernet, and no WiFi. The only drivers I was able to use were Bearwindows's VBE9x driver which got me out of 640x480x16 mode, and Maximus Decim's USB 2.0 driver which allowed me to use USB storage media. Now, there is a VERY slim chance that a Windows 2000 driver would work with Windows 98 if you hack up the inf files, since both OSes use the WDM framework, but probably not. I once tried that with a USB WiFi card, and it had loads of missing exports to ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll, which don't exist in Windows 9x.

CamTron, you may have just hit the jackpot here.  Need more details... did you try and install U98SESP3.EXE or USB33E.EXE to upgrade the drivers for WIN98SE on your Eee PC?  Reason I am asking:  I HAVE AN Eee PC and don't use it anymore for anything.  Did you run into any other problems with the install just getting the basic Windows screen on the Eee PC win98se install?  Please get back with me on this one!

– USB Flash Drives

– USB Hard Drives

There's a more recent version 3.6 of that driver, which raymond.cc provides a link for.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-install-usb-mass-storage-device-on-windows-98/

You need to install 98se without ACPI support, It hangs because it tries to install ACPI support.

It would be helpful to explain exactly how to do that. :)

Sure. Use the command "setup /p i", without the quotation marks, of course.

BTW, for those wishing to remove ACPI and APM on an already installed Win 98, there's how-to info here.

Remember to post this under "News". :w00t:

WHERE EXACTLY do you think the NUSB is developed? :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/43605-maximus-decim-native-usb-drivers/

BTW latest are 3.5 and 3.6 versions:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/43605-maximus-decim-native-usb-drivers/?p=1062027

jaclaz

1) Boot on safe mode. (when it hangs on "detecting hardware")

2)Uninstall all system devices.

3) Run regedit and find the following string in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Detect. Create a new string value called ACPIOption and set it equal to 2

4) Restart and continue the instalation.

@jaclaz - :w00t:

@YouOtherGuys - :crazy:

Nearly everything you find for those older OS' originated right here on MSFN (or other Forums that we haunt).

Search before you wind up getting something bogus or a *very* old version. ;)

Hint - If you can't find it via *our* search (the "gear" at the top), use Google and include

site:msfn.org
to isolate your search to this forum.

HTH

CamTron, you may have just hit the jackpot here.  Need more details... did you try and install U98SESP3.EXE or USB33E.EXE to upgrade the drivers for WIN98SE on your Eee PC?  Reason I am asking:  I HAVE AN Eee PC and don't use it anymore for anything.  Did you run into any other problems with the install just getting the basic Windows screen on the Eee PC win98se install?  Please get back with me on this one!

No, I didn't try U98SESP3 when I installed Win98 on my EeePC 1000HD. Windows 98 installed just fine. I had to move XP around since Win98 needs to be on the C: drive. It did BSOD once during the installation, but I was able to reboot and finish installing like normal. And it ran pretty well, too. The Maximus Decim USB drivers allowed me to use flash drives, and have USB 2.0 speeds. I was able to get 1024x600 resolution with 32-bit color by using BearWindows's VBEMP 9x driver. However, I didn't have drivers for any other hardware, and an OS with no networking, no sound, and no hardware-accelerated gaming isn't very useful at all. I wasn't as tech-savvy as I am now, so I didn't try to hack inf files and force-install drivers. I doubt any of them would work if I tried. I'm currently running Windows 2000 on it, which runs fantastic, and all of the official ASUS drivers (except for the SuperHybridEngine, hotkeys, and webcam) support Windows 2000. After editing the config file to work with the EeePC 1000HD, eeectl works just fine and allows even more control than ASUS's SuperHybridEngine.