Skip Windows 10 release ?

mike13

In fact, I'd strongly suggest doing a fresh install of the next Slow Ring release that comes out.

By doing the upgrades I've accumulated problems that I've seen go away with fresh installs.

-Noel

You can skip for now, but Windows 10 is the last version of the Windows Microsoft will release. They will serve all any all updates to the OS through Windows Update. If you really hardline against Windows 10 you can use Windows 7 until January 14, 2020, which when they turn off support for it.

You can skip for now, but Windows 10 is the last version of the Windows Microsoft will release. They will serve all any all updates to the OS through Windows Update. If you really hardline against Windows 10 you can use Windows 7 until January 14, 2020, which when they turn off support for it.

mike13 didn't sound like he was hardline against Windows 10, He just wanted to know if updates are accumulative or not.

One thing to remember... Microsoft has been talking about the update cycle for Windows 10 to be the seemless type from Chrome and unlike Mozilla's attempt which comes off more as an annoyance. So if it turns out that way, Windows 10 could be the last OS moving forward! That doesn't necessarily mean it will be bad forever... remember that (retail) Vista was bad when it first came out but got significantly better once SP1 was made available.

Seems to me computers and especially GPUs getting much faster had a lot to do with Vista becoming more reasonable to use over time.  The design - except for UAC, which is an abomination - was decent.  Frankly it represented a lot of change where it counts.

But you're right, Microsoft is positioning themselves to start out with Windows 10 as junkware so they can roll out improvement after improvement just by reinstating features they've deleted.  I'll smile on the day they announce that they've listened to all the users and have reinstated Aero Glass and a nice theme.

-Noel

P.S., Touting Windows Update as a feature is selling promises, nothing more.  How many ways can they take advantage of their past reputation to dupe people?  If they couldn't do better than Windows 10 such as it is now, how can we expect them to do better through Windows Updates?  Do people think all the smart engineers will just come back from vacation and make it right?

Edited by NoelC

Guess we're going to find out soon enough. The little icons tjo update to 10 showed up last night on my 8.1 rig and various others with Win7 and 8 I've seen so far today. I'm not ready to offer my working notebook to it just yet, though. Curious to see the build number offered! :^)

if i'm not mistaken they already tried with winblows8 this online major update and it failed miserably

so saying that winblows 10 will be last version is hilarious, you never know what will go wrong in 6 months

after they release that thing and they change they mind

its all cat and mouse play

beside they already proven that they can't deliver "technology update" without breaking machines

so again someone will be stuck at 10, someone at 10.1, someone at 10.2

and we are back again to pile of shit

Edited by vinifera

• 2 weeks later...