Need a wireless client for Windows 2000

I really need a wireless client for Windows 2000. I'm using a Linksys 802.11g adapter that's 10 years old and its wireless client on the driver disc is asinine and old. I can't find a newer utility on Linksys' website, and Windows 2000's implementation of a wireless client is far too crude and outdated.

Will clients for other cards work, or do they have some mechanism that refuses to run with another vendor's card? The one for my Atheros AR5007EG card on my Eee PC 1000HD supports most modern encryption protocols (like WPA2-PSK) and works just fine with vanilla Windows 2000, though the GUI is a bit meh. If you want to try it, extract this and run ACU.exe from the ACU directory.

Hi.

Yes , but if we use any Wireless on Windows 2000,  we must install Wireless Client soft.

Will clients for other cards work, or do they have some mechanism that refuses to run with another vendor's card? The one for my Atheros AR5007EG card on my Eee PC 1000HD supports most modern encryption protocols (like WPA2-PSK) and works just fine with vanilla Windows 2000, though the GUI is a bit meh. If you want to try it, extract this and run ACU.exe from the ACU directory.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the Atheros client and unfortunately all of the options are grey'd out.

Thanks for the suggestion. WPA Assistant looked like the perfect suite until it complained that my wireless encryption key isn't long enough, and then refused to connect to my network...

WPA_Assistant_complains.png

Yes that is what I mean by a wireless client.

Edited by MrMaguire

That thingy there is used also by the good 9x/Me guys see here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/144280-wpa-client-software/

Check out post #28 over there, the link to download ClientMgr3 may be what you need. I own an old Buffalo card and the CD that came with it includes a slightly older version, ClientMgr2, with versions for W98/98se, WMe, W2k, and XP on the old CD. I haven't tried it on W2k since the laptop I use that card for only runs W98SE but I know it does work there. The interface is kinda hokey by modern standards, but even the older ClientMgr2 does WPA and I don't remember ever seeing a complaint about a too-short key (although I haven't really tried to use a short key either).

If you want the entire CD, manuals etc they can be had at http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-125-high-speed/wireless-g-125-high-speed-notebook-adapter

I'd rather not change my encryption key if I can help it.

The Buffalo ClientManager3 actually worked! But soon after successfully connecting, it promptly disconnected and complained about my Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG not being a Buffalo product. :thumbdown

WSC Guard seems very promising, but I think I'm missing the WPA Supplicant that was mentioned in the linked thread, since as-is it seems to recognise secured networks as unsecured.

I'd rather not change my encryption key if I can help it.

The Buffalo ClientManager3 actually worked! But soon after successfully connecting, it promptly disconnected and complained about my Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG not being a Buffalo product. :thumbdown

WSC Guard seems very promising, but I think I'm missing the WPA Supplicant that was mentioned in the linked thread, since as-is it seems to recognise secured networks as unsecured.

WSC Guard isn't missing anything. All you need to do is install your wireless driver and then install WSC Guard. The rest is self explanatory. You only get the unsecured display because you are not connecting to their server (WSC Guard) which is no longer available. 

When I try to connect to my network, WSC Guard tells me that it "Failed to connect with network". In fact, there's only one secured network here that it seems like it will connect to, and that one uses WPA-PSK security mode.

I checked my router settings, and it's set to use both WPA/WPA2-PSK with TKIP and AES encryption.

When I try to connect to my network, WSC Guard tells me that it "Failed to connect with network". In fact, there's only one secured network here that it seems like it will connect to, and that one uses WPA-PSK security mode.

I checked my router settings, and it's set to use both WPA/WPA2-PSK with TKIP and AES encryption.

Set it at AES encryption only and see if that works for you.