Anyone still using Windows XP as main OS?

Stefan43

1. I use Windows XP x64 and 2003 x86 as my main OSes, but I do use 7 occasionally for development and to maintain my x64 build of SeaMonkey (which I use in XP)

2. I have not really experienced any glitches on the x86 versions of XP/Win2k3 yet, but getting x64 software to run under the x64 versions can be difficult (WoW64 works fine, though)

3. I don't use IE8, in fact, I never used IE 8 on XP, I keep IE6 around for Windows Update, but use Firefox and SeaMonkey (which is like Netscape Communicator/the Mozilla Suite) for all of my normal browsing.

I still use Windows XP/2003 because it was Microsoft's last OS using the classic style Explorer and maintains all of the classic ways of doing things that Vista and 7 (I won't touch 8 and 10 with a million-foot pole) don't have. It was the last OS to really be able to use the Classic theme, as Aero isn't really classic-friendly. I will probably use these until I no longer can run Firefox or SeaMonkey, which then, if there isn't a KernelEX-type thing for XP, I will switch to Linux.

My mother is a Windows XP User. She loves XP, and honestly there's no reason to move to a newer OS given her daily tasks. Now that I've gotten the sound to work, its perfect. Also did the updates til 2019 patch.

I would still be an XP user, but DX11 is a Vista+ exclusive. Beyond Vista, i really don't care for Windows. Although I am gonna test 10 IP in a VM just because.

Edited by AnX

I use Windows XP also as my main OS. I started using SeaMonkey yesterday, and I really like it. I also installed the Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 updates, and I don't have any problems.

I use Windows XP also as my main OS. I started using SeaMonkey yesterday, and I really like it. I also installed the Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 updates, and I don't have any problems.

It has been a looong journey :w00t::

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170810-ok-ok-well-support-it-lol/page-5#entry1083642

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171952-windows-embedded-posready-2009/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173015-ie-8-with-posready-2009-updates/

happy you found your destination :).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, sincerely, are there any good reasons why I should use Win7 Ultimate instead of XP?

I have experienced some troubles with XP/SP3, like slow booting, and system slowing down for unknown reasons after being in use for a while.

I just downloaded a 64 bits version so I am already gearing up for giving it another chance. Life would be so much easier if XP would satisfy all my desires;) and I could forget all about the neo-modern styled mistresses.

I would use Win7 if I absolutely needed recent software that cannot be replaced with an older version, or if the system in question didn't have all drivers (excluding devices without practical use such as 'system management bus', some embedded soundcard on a video adapter, etc).

I haven't followed your other threads. If your system is old and has had software added and removed many times in its life, reinstalling XP or 2003 on it would speed it up just the same as installing Win7 would. I think the impression that the latest OS is much fast is mostly based on an experience while the new OS is fresh, and not yet bogged down by fragmentation and bloated applications.

If the new OS starts to boot slowly, maybe you can pay attention if that happens after the installation of a particular driver or application, as you add them one at a time. Then find an alternative.

XP Pro SP3 is my favorite OS of all time, and I will continue to use it until at least 2019.

I do not use IE 8... other than searching for WU's. I use Firefox, and an old version (27.0.1). Everything went downhill when Australis was introduced.

I haven't yet applied all the POSr updates yet... that remains to be seen. But based on everything I've read I do not foresee any problems there.

I also use Windows XP as main OS together with office 2003 and found no reason to move beyond it; when i comes to productivity XP is still king! I also have 1 PC with Vista installed but I used that one only for gaming. I do not upgrade very often and I found that on old computers XP reigns supreme - don't believe all that people that tell you that windows 8/7 runs better on old hardware, it's all BS!!

My main browser is Firefox, latest version.

• 2 weeks later...

productivity and speed is debatable

it all comes to what kind of CPU and how much RAM you have

and how much have you tweaked the OS

I found win7 to be in WORK more productive as i can jump from place to place faster

also with new taskbar things are no more clunky and there is no need to expand taskbar like in XP into 4 rows

then again XP has better File Manager sorting and easier to use system options

-

at the end it all comes to preference

in fact on my PC that is from ~2006 XP lagged even if it was nLite'd

while win7 performs better for unknown reason

• 3 months later...

My mother is a Windows XP User. She loves XP, and honestly there's no reason to move to a newer OS given her daily tasks. Now that I've gotten the sound to work, its perfect. Also did the updates til 2019 patch.

I would still be an XP user, but DX11 is a Vista+ exclusive. Beyond Vista, i really don't care for Windows. Although I am gonna test 10 IP in a VM just because.

iF YOU WANT DX10/11 THEN ALKY PROJRECT IS MY ANSWER

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174666-get-directx-1011-in-windows-xp/

productivity and speed is debatable

it all comes to what kind of CPU and how much RAM you have

and how much have you tweaked the OS

I found win7 to be in WORK more productive as i can jump from place to place faster

also with new taskbar things are no more clunky and there is no need to expand taskbar like in XP into 4 rows

then again XP has better File Manager sorting and easier to use system options

-

at the end it all comes to preference

in fact on my PC that is from ~2006 XP lagged even if it was nLite'd

while win7 performs better for unknown reason

Because your old pc harware is slower than new.

My pc is having core i7 2600k

I have multiboot with xp/7/ubuntu/10

According to my pc xp is jet fast as compared to 7

XP is best

My main os is absolutly XP sp3