Trouble installing Opera 12.02 or 11.64 on Windows 98 SE

CamTron

I've used Opera 12.02 many times in the past with Windows 98, but after reinstalling Windows on my desktop, I can't seem to get it to run or install. I downloaded the installer from here and set the KernelEx compatibility mode to Windows 2000 SP4, but when I run it, I get this error:

Opera has failed to access or upgrade your profile. This may have occurred because your computer has insufficient resources available or because some files are locked by other applications. You may have to restart your computer before Opera will start again.

:huh:

I'm running Windows 98 SE on a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM, so this is well more than sufficient resources, and I have barely anything running. I've run Opera before on this machine without any troubleRebooting does not help. I downloaded the file 3 times just to make sure it isn't corrupt, but I still get the error. I've tried Opera 11.64, and I get the same error. Extracting the setup files to a directory and trying to run opera.exe also produces same error. Right now, I'm stumped. Any ideas?

I just successfully installed this version 12.02 of Opera with comp. mode Win2000.

Did you verify the KernelEX installation?

Did you install KernelEX updates 4.5.2015.x? 

Did you test API's with Kext?

Try: Don't allow internet access during setup. Or try to install it with KernelEX 4.5.2 (4.5.12) only.

Ah, I figured it out!

I was missing Windows Installer 2.0 (instmsia.exe), which I believe is necessary to install software from .msi packages. It can be found here. After installing that, Opera 12 installed just fine.

It seems strange, because the Opera installer looks like a simple self-extracting installer and doesn't appear to use Windows Installer at all.