Has anyone ever tested Intel x9x chipset support?

ruthan

Hello,

i would like know, if someone tested install Windows on Intel x9x and x8x chipset? For these are official XP drivers.. but i would like to know, if Xp is working with default drivers and how much paint it means.

Main problem i see i disk controllers and disk speed, but i have found some MSI board with additional Sata Asmedia controller - with WIndows XP drivers (Z97 GAMING 7), so theoretically speaking it could work. I but i would like to know some real life experience before im would spend 500 buck for new MB and processor and spend few hours with components replacing.

No. XP doesn't work well with Haswells (and Broadwells). Intel dropped XP support as of the Panther Point chipsets (B75-Z77), so that's where driver availability problems begin. There's no support for on-chip graphics nor for intel USB 3.0 since x7x, so you're mistaken about driver availability.

I have XP SP3 on an 3770K i7 (Ivy Bridge) on a Z68 based motherboard (Asus P8Z68-V LX): it works perfectly.

The i7 4820K / X79 is the most recent Processor/Chipset combination reported to be fully functional with XP x86, AFAIK.

AFAICS, i7 4930K or 4960X should also work, but nobody, AFAIK, ever tested either.

I know that Intel dont support Xp since X8x, but this is why im asking for real experience, i there is some work around. I dont care about iGPU, USB3 would be nice.

Windows XP on the desktop installs and works fine with Haswell 8-Series and 9-Series chipsets; I have tested it on both Z87 and Z97.  Using a graphics card, the final result on the Z87 was a problem-free device manager, and the final result on the Z97 is just one problem device, the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller (where we find that the lack of XP USB 3.0 support shows up as Problem Device starting with the 9-series).

For example, begin with Intel’s August 2013 Chipset Device Software (v. 9.3.2.1020), the last version to work with XP.  Choose a board with Realtek audio and LAN hardware, and you can find XP drivers on the Realtek website.  And plenty of GPUs still support XP.

There is this null driver for the Management Engine PCI Simple Communications driver:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173710-intel-mei-driver-pci-simple-communications-controller/#entry1097275

In the alternative--and I haven’t tested this--but, at least for the Z87 Gigabyte, there may be a full Management Engine package available here:

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=77697

For the Z97, you may want this SMBus INF file (null driver) from Fernando:

http://www.win-raid.com/t22f23-Guide-Integration-of-Intels-AHCI-RAID-drivers-into-a-Windows-XP-W-k-W-k-CD-14.html#msg8447

To run in AHCI mode, you would need Fernando’s 11.2 driver, which can be integrated into the OS install media.

• 2 weeks later...

Having tested Windows XP installation on an MSI Z97 PC Mate, I’ve now taken the opportunity to test XP install on another Z97 motherboard, the Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3P, resulting in an especially smooth process and nice finish.

The OS is Windows XP Professional with Onepiece Update Pack (December 2014) integrated via nLite, along with Intel’s August 2013 chipset INF and Fernando’s 11.2 AHCI driver.

From what I’ve read elsewhere it’s no secret that XP on the Z97 will in the end yield at least two “problem” devices (albeit of no great significance), the SMBus Controller and the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller.

Fernando’s null driver de-lists the SMBus Controller, and I found that this particular motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3P) has an option to turn off the xHCI controller (BIOS / Peripherals / XHCI Mode: Disabled), which also de-lists the USB Controller.

The result, then, is a problem-free device manager using Windows XP on the Z97 platform:

post-375408-0-05921400-1446235227_thumb.

Edited by bluebolt

• 2 months later...

Hello again,

so i bought MSI Z97 Gaming 7 board  + Broadwell 5675C with both ASmedia / Intel SATA /USB3 controllers:

http://msi.com/product/mb/Z97-GAMING-7.html#hero-specification

I have 10 year old XP isntalation, still working i have changed lots of mother boards and devices without

clean install - im using some utlis using function sysprep - now im using Paragon 2015 premium and P2P (Physical to Physical) adjust.

Yesterday i checked that XP could work on such mainboard and with old installation, my old XP installation booted - after - i used Paragon P2P (with importing some drivers

from board drivers cd, i dont know exactly which ones), but after that i did something wrong (clean up old drivers and installed new one) and something

goes wrong and even - safe mode not working.

XP working state was this - i booted from Asmedia Sata controller, both ports for 2 internals HDD worked, but Sata DVD writer on Intel port i didnt worked.

Some controller driver was missing, SMbus driver was missing and intel USB driver was probably missing.

So i recovered old XP partition image and trying to make it boot again - boot screen, but something is wrong - probably i did something a bit different,

but what?

Between trying im not aware to change any Bios settins - im still using all USB 2 and 3 setting on - also EHCI a XHCI and HDD are in AHCI mode.

I would like to inject all drivers from above post through P2P into system, but when i trying, Paragon saying that those inf files arent for XP, but for

other OS - so probably Bluebolt linked wrong drivers, i have also big problem to select proper driver from fernando - there are zillions links and

once again, Paragon - setting that inf is wrong or i should manualy select exact controller type. Would be nice if someone could post exact

link.

Regarding of Aida controllers should be these:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2741044/JakyStorageChipsetTamJe.png

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, Damnation said:

I've managed to get XP drivers for everything in my z97x-ud5h-bk system, all except intel USB 3.0

But I've run into a bizarre issue where my HID Devices keep disappearing

:huh: HID (Human Interface Device) = USB (or am I just plain crazy? :lol: )