Skype 3.8.0.188 for Windows 98/ME

From what I have read online, it seems to do with DirectSound, Kernel Streaming, Waveout, Latency and IRQ etc.... I don't have a need for it, but thought I could shed some light yall way. I might use it down the line once I gather some friends from overseas. Other than that, I can test and help you guys, it does play well with SP3. In other words there are no conflicts between the two.

I have tested this on others machines and have witness your issues. It is not a hardware problem but moreso a driver issue because the same version runs on a Win2000 and Xp with Win98 on a dual boot. You will get a crackling sound, stuttering, choppy.... Here is a partial work around

1. Right click the speaker icon and click Adjust Audio Properties.

2. Click on Advance Properties for Playback and Recording and set them like the screenshot

3. A possible solution to emulate sound and fixed latency problems. http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac3.htm

2uorxja.jpg

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I can confirm that setting the audio playback (speakers) and recording (microphone) to "emulation" by adjusting the hardware acceleration slider to "None" does allow Skype to function (ie - make calls without giving "Problem with playback device" error). In this mode, the quality of the other party's audio (as heard on my speakers) is horrible (stuttering) combined with an echo (things are heard twice). Conversely, my audio (as picked up by my microphone and heard by the other party) sounds fine.

There you have it, if one was to research this more, it could become a universal fix. I'm semi busy but will look into it some more later. If users want to pursue, one needs to focus on the drivers and not the hardware. This is how I came to this conclusion.