Windows 10 can only see part of my network

adacom

just installed the latest build on a spare laptop - went on ok and am wandering round it but have come up against something i dont understand or can find any way forward

On my home network i have 2 Dlink NAS boxes  plus a share drive on the USB port of a Netgear router

on the laptop i am typing this [win8.1] all those devices are seen in networks and in my computer - they can go away sometimes when using wifi but are always there if i use a lan cable

on windows 10 for reasons i cannot understand it sees one of the Dlink NAS devices in networks - matters not if wired via a lan cable or wifi  - no matter what i do i cannot see any of the other devices in networks or my computer - i also cannot map the drives - i can access the nas via its address in a browser - i can see another laptop where a drive is shared

if i could not see the one NAS i would think either networks were a work in progress or i had something wrong - but the fact i can see one NAS confuses me 

as ever my question is what am i doing wrong - that apart has anybody any ideas

thanks for the reply - there are no Dlink drivers that i know of - they are identical NAS boxes running the same firmware - the differences - if it matters is the ip address [obviously] and the way they connect on the network

the one that can be seen is connected directly to the router - the one that cannot be seen is connected to a switch which is then connected to the router

as stated windows 8.1 sees both of them 

not yet - that was on my list of todo things - this is my first look at 10 apart from a very early build so my initial thoughts were to ask others who have tried it

will try a scanner

i also have an access point as well as the netgear wifi router - i now realise the laptop i use with win8.1 connects via the access point whilst the 10 laptop connects via netgear wifi - my thoughts are that cannot matter but has to be tested and eliminated to be sure 

has anybody any ideas

I don't know if this can even apply to what you're doing, but I disable all forms of Homegroup networking on all my systems.  I've always found that the ancient "workgroup" way of Windows Networking was the most deterministic.

-Noel

have never used homegroup and had checked it was not set - am stumped for the reasons for this - just copied al the share names that a windows 8 pc uses and thats worked - so i can see everything even if 10 cannot

most odd but its only a test system and will be deleted as and when

but if thats as it is would like to find a way for things to work correctly

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem after clean installing 10074. After a lot of googling the solution was to clean install an earlier version (I used 9926) then let it upgrade to 10074. All is perfect now.

I had the same problem after clean installing 10074. After a lot of googling the solution was to clean install an earlier version (I used 9926) then let it upgrade to 10074. All is perfect now.

thanks - hopefully just a bug in this version