installed Win98SE getting problems

Washu

hi all. i get a new pc yesterday and i installed windows 98 in it, all want fine after some problems, but now i get some more i hope you guys can help me out.

here is the pc i get:

Pentium 4 HT 3.0 / 1MB / 800 s478 SL7PM
Asrock mobo P4I65G
Delta 250W PSU
2x1GB PC3200 400MHz @ = 2GB dual channel DDR
250GB Seagate SATA
DVD-RW Optiarc AD-5170A
nVidia GeForce FX6200 128MB
C-Media AC'97 Audio m. FP-Audio
Realtek RTL8139 100Mb Network
3x PCI free slot
Card Reader, 1x Printer Port
2x SATA, 1xIDE, 80mm Chassis Fan
Keyboard and mouse connectors

i have turned off hyper threading
and i only use one 1 GB ram ddr stick i don't get any lower atm, i will get later on.

here is my problems:

1. i can't get my drive to lower then 250 i trys my a patirtion on win7 when in uninstalled that system but 98 wanted to remove it and did not give me a chans to set my own.

2. after i installed all driver and unofficel service pack 3.44 i even installed kernelEX and some games:
now i can't get into MD-DOS mode nor can i turn of my PC even if i say shut down it only resets it self,

allways when i press shout down it are on the reset tab even i try to anything else after it reset it still on the reset not the privisely option where it should be.
i just realised it, so i thought it might be of any help.

i ahve tryd uninstalling kernelEX still some problems. if i messed up anywhere play help,
Edited by Washu

although this may not be directly linked to your problems, your psu seems just a tad inadequate in both wattage and quality, a 350w power supply with 80 plus efficiency would be better. i never experimented with sata on windows 95 / 98 based operating systems but like mrmateczko said, you can try changing the settings in the bios to compatibility mode / ide mode and see if that helps, normally its best to do this before installing the operating system and i would actually recommend reinstalling the operating system if its a not a big problem for you and i would also have other options on the table as well before doing so. to limit the ram in system.ini, just open up system.ini from the run command and under 386en section, add "maxphyspage=20000" without the quotes and also add "minfilecache=0" and "maxfilecache=0" without the quotes under the vcache section, i personally never had slow performance with the 0 cache settings. 

i personally don't like to use the unofficial service pack, i used it on earlier builds but found that installing individual official updates / add ons was better. in other words, you should install all official updates in order / add ons, then kernelex. if your getting any memory related issues, it may have to do with 1 GB of ram being too much at first for windows 98SE, i found that putting in one stick of 512 MB was the trick at first, then editing the system.ini, and then adding another 512 MB worked, up to 1024 MB of ram can be detected i believe on 98SE without having special patches / manual patches, assuming you put maxphyspage=40000 and minfilecache and maxfilecache are set to 0. 

from what i read, you did a clean install of windows 98se but could not get a partition less than 250 GB and because of this, windows 98se couldnt work properly? if so, one way is to reinstall the os and install windows 98se the old fashioned way by using fdisk, formatting the drive with the partition size being about 120 GB, set the partition active, restart the system and go back to fdisk and do the ms-dos setup where you copy the files to the hard drive and run setup. if your interested, its available in the url below, the same method works to install windows 95 - 

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/install98stepbystep1/indexfullpage.htm#.VU5PfPlViko

thx alot i will look into it. i sadly don't ahve any diskate station so i hope i can brun all stuff to a CD, then i can add all other stuff i need. but where can i find all the patches?

and sorry for late replay i was away this weekend.

Windows 98 has problems with new ACPI standards, if you have bsods on the "install hardware phase", install without acpi.

Also 1 gb ram is fine, my netbook installed without problems (without acpi) with 1 gb ram (With no patches)

i gat my OS reinstalled. Fdisk not working at all from the CD so still at 250 GB. and when i try to enter MS-Mode. i get protaction error. hmmm wonder why.if any know anything plz help me^^

The FDISK may well (for any reason) not work from the CD, but it is simply impossible that you cannot create under a normally running OS a suitable partition.

What you probably fell into is that Windows 7 by default will create partitions with Megabyte alignment whilst Windows 98 will most probably need Cylinder/Head aligned ones.

Though it is possible to "force" Windows 7 diskpart to create partiton(s) with the right offset, see here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21186

it is better to understand why FDISK from the Windows CD does not work for you.

What do you mean by "does not work"?

What (exactly) happens when you attempt using FDISK from the booted CD?

What differences you have from these:

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Fdisk-Tool-and-the-Format-Tool-to-Partition-a-Hard-Drive

Personally I wouldn't even THINK of installing a Windows 9x on a partition crossing the LBA28 limit (roughly 128 Gb), though I doubt that it may be part of the source of the other issues you reported.

jaclaz

i don't get top setp 3. i only get back to dir like

d:\win98\

so i don't know whats going on. 

and i still don't get into ms dos mode on protection error plz reset the pc is what i get.

but all drivers installed normaly.  and it says win98SE on propotys.

but when i go into nvidea panle i says win98 (A)

so not sure if i get SE or not. i ahve no patches installed.

Edited by Washu

I cannot remember if there is any incompatibility between the standard FDISK of Win98 and large disk drives. :unsure:

If I get this right, when you boot from CD the only hard disk connected is the 250 Gb one, correct?

If this is the case, at the A: prompt type:

FDISK /STATUS

and then try:

FDISK /FPRMT

(this latter should "jump over" Step 2).

Do you have a USB stick that you can use as bootable device?

Or can you burn another CD?

The way out could be to create a UBCD, boot from it and then use from it either Ranish Partition Manager or the FreeDOS FDISK:

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

jaclaz

i tryd put the xFdisk on a FAT32 formated USB, but it seems my MB don't frecognase it and i can't get it up and running a usb on win98 my usb are like 16 GB i think they might be to big im not sure.

and i saw now that this protection error is commeing even if i normely try to shut my pc down, it allways want to reset it. i don't know what can be wrong im not good with this stuff, sorry for being so bad at it all. i try to learn but it make no sence to me, maybe i have to new stuff even if i thought they where older. it also seems my DVD-ROM has some problerms it take really long time for it to read dvd's i sometimes need to eject it a few times. CDs no problems.

other then that i think its working but well i get some weired Direct 3D error and i ahve installed 9.0c that worked before but the game was not in english hmm.

can this have to do with my changesing the stuff from US to Sweden?

and also get a standard problem for me are when it ask for the win98SE disc and i put it in i get that the disc i puted it was not the right one. 

not sure i might not happend if its in from the start are not fure need to try that one time.

just trying to explain some of my problems i get it might help i don't know. its just harder then i thought i should be.^^

thx alot i will look into it. i sadly don't ahve any diskate station so i hope i can brun all stuff to a CD, then i can add all other stuff i need. but where can i find all the patches?

and sorry for late replay i was away this weekend.

you can get most of the windows 98SE official updates from the link below, for some reason though, windows 95 and 98 give me wierd issues where certain updates don't get installed right, such as the dial up networking update / winsock files dont get properly updated or are missing and so you can't get the internet to work properly, it seems that there are certain files that the wizard says it needs from a certain cab file but since the path is not towards that cab region, it doesnt get installed right, what i do for this is copy these files from the cd into the same path of the update wizard so that the updates get installed properly and this method has always worked for me, i had to do this also for a cisco 350 wireless pci card for windows 95, and yes, windows 95 supports a few wifi cards.

here is the thread for the updates - 

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/84886-the-complete-list-of-hotfixes-updates-for-windows-98se/

and just for some reference, here is some add ons / updates that work and i have in my windows 98SE support cd that i made - 

adobe reader 6 

nero 7.0.1.2 burning software

hwmonitor 1.17 

firefox 9.01 ( with kernelex installed )

winrar 3.30 

microsoft framework 2.0 

adobe flash 11.0.1.152 ( 32 bit ) ( works with kernelex installed for firefox, you can watch videos up to 1080p on youtube )

nusb33e ( unofficial usb mass storage drivers )

ok i will try.

aww i don't even know what to download from thatc list why don't they have one link with it all in.....

Edited by Washu

A very important sidenote:

USE a boot manager/partition manager:

bibm_bootmenu.jpg

NEVER, NEVER use the crap fdisk that ships with Windows as it will mess your partitions. Besides you have the limitation of creating only 4 primaries on your HDD.

As for Windows 7+ I quote Wikipedia:

If a Windows 7+ installer is booted in U/EFI mode, then Windows will want to install to the ESP (EFI System Partition), a hidden FAT32 formatted boot partition. On most motherboard lacking proper NTFS drivers, this makes it impossible to have a single partition image that contains everything needed to run. ASUS UEFI motherboards ship with a working NTFS driver, and are able to call bootmgfw.efi directly.

If you cannot locate an NTFS driver, you can disable UEFI boot, or use the CSM to choose between UEFI and BIOS. To do this, follow the steps in your motherboard's user manual. After doing this, when win7+ is installed it will place the bootmgr and BCD onto the same partition, if you formatted and made active install partition prior to installing. After install, verify that the boot folder and bootmgr.exe are on the root of C:.

Even worse other OS's installations may even completely 'remove' your partitions without warning. Then you will have to resort to an undelete process that will take many, many hours. With a boot/partition manager you have more chances to recover them.

Above is a commercial product, but there are freeware solutions too. I chose this as an example because it is easy to use-simple GUI, resides on its own partition and supports more than 4 primaries.

IMO it is preferable to use a partition manager that resides on its own partition as Windows installations delete the MBR and you wont be able to boot on your other OSs. Here, after the installation asks to reboot, you simply insert the installation CD of the boot manager and reactivate instantly the boot manager, instead of starting from scratch after every OS installation.

Edited by athanasios

oo nice. i think i get Fdisk to work some how today. 

atm i just wonna get everything to work and im ok to one partion i might can resize it later if i need to. i can't use more then 127 GB of 250 GB

and i will probly build a XP build later on anyway and i have a win7 so i just wonna get a retro pc so thats why i try to stick to one OS^^

but i will think about it if i need later. thx,

will see if i can get this to work. 

Ok, I think I will bite :w00t::ph34r:.

#1 there is not one reason in the world to use a third party bootmanager (unless one needs/wants a multiboot system)

#2 particularly there is NO REASON and it is actually STRONGLY DISCOURAGED to use third party, non-standard "hacks" to have more than 4 primary partitions

#3 as a matter of fact you can multiboot *any* MS OS (and BTW *any* Linux) with just one, single, primary partition and everything else on logical volumes inside extended

#4 Remember that Windows 98 is limited to FAT32 and that it is NOT REASONABLE to have large clusters when using an OS that uses a large number of small files, a more than adequate partition size for the system volume of a Windows 9x install is within the 8 Gb size or if you prefer within the 4 Kb cluster size, 8 Kb or 16 Kb are still acceptable, but anything larger makes little sense (while it may be OK for "storage" volumes) 

#5 When using "retro OS", unless you really know where your towel is, you should ALWAYS use ONLY the tools that were available at the time and setup the OS within the limits it had at the time, as you never know what a "crazy" install will result in when you use some of the OS built-in commands.

jaclaz