What is it about Spartan that you find the tiniest bit interesting?

NoelC

I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would want a separate browser from those we already have.

Can you help enlighten me?  What did you find deficient in those that were already available?

-Noel

I agree, I don't know why people like Spartan so much. I would rather have the UI of MSIE 11, and that's saying something. I hear the rendering engine is good, but Gecko and Blink are probably better anyway.

I guess what *I* would prefer in a browser is one that renders as many different web pages properly as is possible.  That's been the goal of IE and the others all along.  So why does it make any sense for "Spartan", which admittedly doesn't implement any compatibility to speak of other than with some current specification, get split out as a separate "App"?

Yet another decision based solely on "fashion"?

-Noel

What is it about Spartan that you find the tiniest bit interesting?

Nothing. It's also an extremely ugly piece of metro software.

Have you tried Vivaldi? Now that's a browser to look out for. With a bit of tweaking in its settings (native window =  on), it turns into the complete opposite of metrotard. It's a great antidot.

Too bad the default theme (native window = off) looks somewhat "modern".

Personally I have no problem with IE.  It does what I need and allows me to configure its security model to my liking.

-Noel

Despite my fall-out with MS since W8, I have no problem with IE as well. But I guess they will abandon its development in favour of Spartan, or at least they will try (if W10 fails, they have to backtrack again).

Edited by Formfiller

there wont be any backtracking even if win10 fails. maybe a slight modification like windowed metro apps. but essentially they are firm on the path from the looks of it.

spartan would be good with stylus integration.

• 2 weeks later...

I started the Pandora web site playing on the Spartan browser, then minimized it.

The music stopped, and returned when I restored it.

300px-SMirC-facepalm.svg.png

Yep, it's 1990 again.  Soon we'll be back to the 1980s.

-Noel

I'm thinking they started Edge (Spartan)  so they could say those still on

Win 7 pr 8 should move to 10 because of lack of security in IE11.

:ph34r:

Jim M

Edited by jbm

There's nothing really that seperates Spartan from IE. It's just IE 12 by another name, which is completely intentional. Like with the naming of Windows 10. Microsoft wants to break from the IE and Windows 8 names because of what they invoke. The techy people know the difference, but the sheep don't and that's what Microsoft is playing towards.

There's nothing really that seperates Spartan from IE.

Except a major reduction in functionality, you mean? 

Does anyone really think the browser not running things while minimized is acceptable?

-Noel