Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

bigmuscle

Feature requests

How can I prevent the installer to install the aero effect to modern apps?It will make the new windows APP feature NEON doesn't work any more.

Need a new change log for:

Aero Glass for Win8.1+ v1.5.7

Thanks,
-DW

BigMuscle has completed the change log.

Thanks,

-DW

Edited by Dreamweaver01

BigMuscle, return 32-bit version please! I'm very need it!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

As far as I can tell Aero had the following elements to it:

• Blur
  • Reflection
  • Shine

Blur and Reflection is already implemented very well, but the Shine effect is missing.

Do you see the triangular bright regions in the top corners? That's the shine.

The original active and inactive window shine PNGs can be extracted from the Windows 7 theme with a tool.

Could you please add this, maybe optional like the reflection?

shine.PNG

Edited by Adanda
formatting

Could you send me the texture via PM ?

Maybe I could add it as "Background texture" option - simple bitmap which would be stretched over the blurred region. But I cannot say how it will look in Win10, because the frame is not rendered as one area.

• Like 1

Sent.

I don't really know how Windows handles decoration, but it should be handled the same way as Reflection. Not adding it to the window itself as an image, but rendering it to the coordinates of the window.

I'm implementing Aero in a Linux desktop environment and that's how I do it too. Is this possible on Windows?

Here is a WIP image btw:

shine_l.PNG

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to render on the coordinates of the window, because they are not known when blur effect is rendered. Only blur coordinates are known. In Win10, top of the frame and sides of the frame are rendered separately, so it will result in weird effect on the sides, but it may not be noticeable, because the sides are only a few pixels wide. The reflection is always rendered to the screen coordinates.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Shine element works on Windows 8.1, even without Aero Glass (with the correct theme).

For completeness sake, I would suggest adding the ability to change the window caption font color of the inactive windows.

Edited by UCyborg

Out of curiosity, can the latest Aero Glass release work on Windows 8.1?  I'd try it myself but I'm swamped with work.

Not that I have any complaints about how well (and stably) version 1.4.5.520 is working for me, mind you.  It's worked perfectly for many years.

-Noel

If you mean "the latest Aero Glass release" = v1.5.8 then no. I already cleaned out all old code from it, so it won't work. Maybe it can fall back into always-glass mode (=all solid-solid color regions are blurred) without glass safety zones processing (=> glitches on dirty regions), but it will probably crash soon or later.

• Upvote 1

More like a little nuisance and OCD-related :) Could you please modify the watermark to show windows 10 instead of 8?

@bigmuscle Could you please remove the forced watermark on the beta releases if a donation.key is present? The beta versions are often the only "working" versions of your product as it seems to take nearly half a OS build's lifespan for the applicable Glass8 beta build to reach full version. I'd say most users of your program are at least somewhat computerate literate and know what beta software entails (the risks). That being said I'd like to be able to use the beta version, which right now is the only working version for the current build of Windows 10, without having the program do the opposite of it's intention -- to make Windows look more pleasant [as applying a watermark to my desktop is not pleasant at all especially when I/we've paid already]. Thanks for all your work and I hope you can take this into consideration considering how long this has been going on now and the nuisance it's made for users.

I second foe's request.  I'd like to see the watermark removed on the beta builds if we've paid for the product & have the donation.key.  It does take quite a long time for the beta versions to become official builds.

Also, it'd be nice if something could be done with the DWM command window.  It's easy enough to minimize, but it keeps popping back up, sometimes multiple times, when launching certain apps.  This gets in the way & is very annoying.  I wish there was a way that it can just log this information without the window always having to be present.  Again, especially for the paid members that have the donation.key

Edited by envisaged0ne